What speaker cables for Klipsch??Kimber, Audioquest...ect?

----------------

On 5/13/2005 11:08:21 AM imperfectcircle25 wrote:

But I can tell the differance , buut my DAD could not. Now I know I have much better hearing than him he is in his mid 5o's and his hearing isnt the greatest any more so I doono if this has alot to do with it. Maybe the people that cant hear the differance dont have perfect hearing?? For some reason it has been my experience that its usually older guys that cant hear the differance, I think they are just so set in thier ways that they dont wanna believe it makes a differance, and or that thier hearing just isnt as good as my 26 yesr old ears?? But I can hear a differance and thats realy all that counts.

frank

----------------

It is called LIFE EXPERENCE We have been there and done that and can tell when someone is trying to sell us snake oil. At 26, you may feel that you are on top of the world and everyone who disagrees with you just doesnt know any better or our ears have gone bad or The reality is it is usually much harder to fool us. Is my hearing at 49 as good as it was at 20? No, but that doesnt mean that I am deaf. I have my hearing tested yearly and it is above average for my age, ESPICALLY for my occupation.

The question of caps and coils in the xover making a difference, well just to say I did, I changed and updated the xovers in a set of speakers I had. I do not know if the difference was due to the xovers being so hosed up by the last guy that worked on them or if returning them to factory specs from what they had made the difference or if the components made the difference but there was a change. Like I said, I do not know where it came from but I do know that wire is wire and any difference you are likely to hear is between your ears, not IN your ears. If you believe that you will hear a difference then you WILL The mind is a powerful thing. You can see things that are not there and you can hear things that are not there. Age usually gives you the wisdom to not fall for the great snake oil pitch.

All that said, IF YOU THINK YOU HEAR A DIFFERENCE THEN SPEND YOUR MONEY AND BUY THE HIGH $ CABLES WITH MY BLESSING!!!!

2.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your posts evidence a real attitude problem, JPM. Like I said, people are certainly free to disagree with the original poster (as I do), but insulting him is just in poor taste. It does nothing to advance your position other than to give more easily-amused of the anti-wire crowd a chuckle. If you do decide to go that route, however, you could at least try to be clever about it. Check Parrot's post for a nice example.

And if you decide to go that route in response to me, you had better be a HELL of a lot more clever about it.

----------------

On 5/13/2005 2:37:35 PM kev313 wrote:

Your posts evidence a real attitude problem, JPM. Like I said, people are certainly free to disagree with the original poster (as I do), but insulting him is just in poor taste. It does nothing to advance your position other than to give more easily-amused of the anti-wire crowd a chuckle. If you do decide to go that route, however, you could at least try to be clever about it. Check Parrot's post for a nice example.

And if you decide to go that route in response to me, you had better be a HELL of a lot more clever about it.

----------------

props man!

you bad

bwahahaha

"Exposure amps like Naim and Linn are very sensitive to inductance since they dont use and zoble network on their outputs. This has good and bad points, the good is better sound, the bad is sensitivity to cables. They dont like high inductance cables like Kimber 8tc will not work well with the amp but something with the + and _ seperated works fine. Do you know if the audioquest cable has seperate runs for the + and - of is it in the same cable?"

Frank, I think you might have it backwards. The closer positive and negative are sandwiched together, the higher the capacitance, and the lower the inductance. When you separate the wires out, capacitance goes down, and inductance goes up. What those amps are really sensitive too are cables with high capacitance/low inductance. You can read about the effect here:

http://www.alphacore.com/mifaq.html#stability

So, what you really want is a cable that gives you low capacitance and HIGH inductance, which is best acheived by simply using single runs for each positive and negative. Most cable you buy just isn't made that way. So, this is what I would do: send an email to michael@percyaudio.com and ask him to send you 20 feet of Kimber TCX wire. It's $2.50 a foot, and he only takes paypal.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=36838&

post-3205-13819264781494_thumb.jpg

You can make your own anti cable for much less. Goto Ratshack and pick up some magnet wire. You can get a pack with three differant gauges. try all three which ever sounds best add some spades or bananas and your set for a few bucks. I have tried this and it does sound pretty damn good surprisingly, never thought two skinny 22ga wires could be any good.

----------------

On 5/12/2005 12:21:19 AM TBrennan wrote:

The most important thing with speaker wires is that they're long enough.

----------------

What a silly thing to say! This is just not a problem at all. Just twist the ends of two shorter wires together and presto! It's long enough! 2.gif

P.S. I've tried various methods to stop the bare wires shorting together. My best solution is sticking the joined wire ends into a lump of blue tack. When you need to check the integrity of the join, simply pull it off the blue tack, and give the wires another twist.

Just got back from St Louis. Taking a friend to Barns Medical group. He will be involved in a extensive audio study on his hearing ( among others) Some of it financed buy the Hosp. & a portion financed by the Govt. This will go on for about 40 weeks. A special listening sound room was made with a single chair in the middle. In one corner on a stand is a special calibrated JBL LSR 6332 moniter. Built in is to the moniter is Room mode correction to correct for bass anomolities. Plus boundry compensation so speakers will sound extreamly flat at listening position. Cables were Belden 8412 or Canari Starquad. Nothing fancy. Amps were custom made By a friend of mine in this field With 40 yrs expierence. Amps were also calibrated for the test to be accurate in its bandwith. the connecters were nothing special no gold plating or exotic WBT connectors. No special AC connecters . I will be observing the tests. I will be following this closely

What is the test about? In the above thread? Small differences relating to varience,s in miner components. The word DIFFERENCE & what does it mean. Some times its just "WHO CARES" because it means nothing. Because it has nothing to do with what went on in the recording studio live feed. And means nothing. You can wipe the controls & unplug & plug in the cables & change the sound. But it means nothing. I see this on this forum all the time. Some companys make alot of money on this obsessive behavier.

----------------

On 5/16/2005 7:18:33 PM Griffinator wrote:

For the record, my accuracy was near-perfect through the first 8, and rapidly declined after that. I finished at 65%.

----------------

Actually, the Klipsch engineer screwed up on the test. There was an easily discernible difference because of a set-up mistake. The engineers realized something was amiss when numerous people were scoring 100%.

I hear a difference, but then again I am really used to my system. I notice almost anything immediately that's different. To answer the original question. I think it's not a good idea to spend to much on wire, but don't skimp on it either. I like the lower line Kimber Kable 4pr it's really detailed and I notice background sounds I never did before than using garden hose home depot wire, or other generic stuff. I also like Tara Labs Klara they are a really good mate with Klipsch speakers good detail, but very smooth with wide soundstage. Kimber Kable is a bit forward like Klipsch their selfs, but I like that about them. If it's softer smoother sound on a budget I would go for the tara labs klara. I haven't tried a million speaker wires out, but with my system I heard this easily. Like I said it's my system and I will notice almost anything that's different. I hated the home depot speaker wire on my system it lacked highs and was very forward and harsh in the midrange.

FWIW, here's my two cents...

As much as I loved my Kimber Kable 8TC for my Magnepans, they did seem to make my Cornwalls sound brighter (too bright for my taste). What seems to work well with horns in my system are Stout-Interconnect B-2 Series speaker cables (16 AWG, 8' twisted pair of unterminated silver plated OFC conductors), and my favorite; the Canare Star Quad 4SII (11 AWG, 8' twisted pair of four 14 AWG OFC conductors, also unterminated). To my ears, the Canare seems to tame the shrill a bit better than any other cable I've used with my Cornwalls in my small room.

I don't have a "golden ear", but I do hear subtle differences...maybe it's all in my head, who knows. But whenever I get the chance to relocate my system to a bigger room where my Cornwalls can really sing, I'll try to compare the B-2s with the 4SIIs and see which one makes the grade.

Just my opinion, natch.2.gif