What speaker cables for Klipsch??Kimber, Audioquest...ect?

What do you guys reccomend for speaker cables with the RF-3 and RF-7's?? Right now Im using a double Bi-wire run of Exposures Black cable. But I would like to upgrade to something better. Exposure reccomends Nordost but I think that may be a little bright sounding with the Klispchs as Nordost tend to be very nuetral sounding and I think I need a cable thats a bit on the warm side. BTW Exposure amps dont like cables with High inductance so cables like Kimber 8tc are out of the question, the amps like spaced cables like Naim or Linns cables. So what do you guys think?? Should I just try the Nordost Blue Heavens and see how I like them?? I read the the Blue Heaven is the most warm sounding Nordost cable so maybe it will work well with my system??

Ah! Super Tjoeb 4000/upsampled

Exposure XV integrated amp

Klipsch RF-3(soon to be RF-7's)

StraightWire Serenade interconnects

Exposure Black double Bi-wire speaker cable

PS Audio Ultimate Outlet

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest doing a search on this forum for threads on this topic. There are plenty. Plenty of various opinions on the topic.

Don't believe everything you read, let your ears decide for you. Myself, Home Depot 12 gauge. I prefer my wires to have NO effect on the sound of my system.

Don't warm it, don't mellow it, don't shine it up, just pass the signal through it.

YMMV, IMHO, blah blah blah.

If you cant tell the sifferance in sound between cables you need to have your ears checked. Goto your nearest dealer and get a good quality cable on loan like Nordost, Kimber...ect Then listen to them compared to regular 12ga copper I garuntee youll hear the differance. Then again it really depends on your system. If your using a reciever and DVD player chances are you wil not hear much of an improvement, but if your stuff is decent regular 12ga is not showing your systems full potential. One other thing is that Im not saying the expensive cable will sound better, just differant, wheter that differance is better or worse is totally subjective to the preson listening. Everyone hears differance and has a differant idea of what is good and what is bad sound. That is why you cant really tell much about the way a component sound just by reading reviews and stuff like that. What sounds good to one may sound crappy to another. But generally most people will choose a nice $5000 system over a $100 boombox...;)

Imperfect,

If you can actually hear a difference in name brand cable over 12 awg zip cord, then the cable is coloring the sound. Most folks that claim to hear a difference in speaker wire cannot pass a double blinded test.

Nordost is known to color the sound. Personally, I do not care for colorations.

Bill

IMO, and its just an opinion, spending $$$ on cables is a waste. Would agree, never seen blind listening tests were cable proponents were proven correct, to each his own though. Think you would be better off spending the money on acoustic treatments. For some one who would spend the $$$ on expensive cables but not bother to consider/treat room acoustics is like trying to improve the performance of thier car with gas STP treatment while having flat tires. If you got the $ to blow and every thing else tip top then by all means get some good looking cables.

Get the ones that look the best and are color matched to your room.

I hear NOSValves.com makes some killer custom wire runs. Hand braided 700 strand no less. As told around these parts, it's the best sounding wire ever produced. The best part being that it's only $29.99 a foot. Go ahead and try all the others, but you'll end up buying some of the NOSValves WRD (Wire Rollers Dream) 10 AWG eventually. There's really no need to try the rest when you can get the best from NOSValves.com! 2.gif

----------------

On 5/11/2005 11:11:21 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

Imperfect,

If you can actually hear a difference in name brand cable over 12 awg zip cord, then the cable is coloring the sound. Most folks that claim to hear a difference in speaker wire cannot pass a double blinded test.

Nordost is known to color the sound. Personally, I do not care for colorations.

Bill

----------------

But double-blind tests are the scourge of wire-obsessed audiophiles. This argument gets you banned on other forums. Sometimes I find these people as stubborn as some of the religious fanatics. When presented with evidence that contradicts their beliefs, they stick their fingers in their ears and go: "lalalala".

----------------

On 5/12/2005 12:33:37 AM meuge wrote:

But double-blind tests are the scourge of wire-obsessed audiophiles. This argument gets you banned on other forums. Sometimes I find these people as stubborn as some of the religious fanatics. When presented with evidence that contradicts their beliefs, they stick their fingers in their ears and go: "lalalala".

----------------

Not arguing the point (I've renounced my wire-shopping ways) but the double-blind A/B/X test, if improperly administered, is the bane of all audio research. If the program material isn't changed after each A/B/X cycle, listener fatigue will set in, and the results will denegrate into what appears to be guesswork on any subtle differences in signal.

Using best of 20 guess cycles with the same program material (as they did at Klipsch HQ) is going to yield a high failure rate. There's no avoiding it.

----------------

On 5/11/2005 11:11:21 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

Imperfect,

Most folks that claim to hear a difference in speaker wire cannot pass a double blinded test.

Bill

----------------

Bill, I'll go farther. No one EVER, and I mean EVER has passed a blind speaker wire test, EVER in thousands of tests. If it had EVER been done, all of the speaker wire companies would have jumped on it big time. These tests were run (the ones I was involved in) with extreme differences. 14 gauge zip wire 20 feet longer than numerous high end mega buck wires with fancy coatings/jackets/silver/black/and on and on. No one has ever passed. Even with extreme conditions where we were trying to find the limits to where wire would matter. Never found it with 14 ga. Now if you go to 24 ga versus 10ga then maybe.....but that is beyond even extreme.

But, in the end like I have said before, if you want "looks" then go for it. You can spend your money however you want. Some like blonds and some like brunettes....

Spkr,

My comment about double blinded tests left room for the really exotic cable that colors the sound in a bad way. Some folks may be able to pick it out for all I know due to the degradation of the sound. That said, I would not be at all surprised that a double blinded test would show even the larger colorations getting by without reliably being picked out from 12 awg zip cord.

I do have some nice bi-wires, but I do not kid myself that it makes a mega difference. The cable is visible in places, so it needs to look purdy.3.gif

Bill

"I dont look good in no Monster cable

No NOSvalve jacket - or designer spades

Ive tried the latest lines from A to Z

But theres just one thing that looks good on me

The only thing I want

The only thing I need

The only thing I choose

The only thing that looks good on me... is RatShack .12"

10.gif