Sterophile starts vintage reviews this month-Fisher 500-C first up

This is great news and may finally be the way for us to see some Klipsch Heritage reviews in Stereophile. The Fisher review is very favorable and is not just a blurb in the Analog Corner but a full-fledged review with measurements. It's as though it were a new Krell amp with the amount of space that's devoted...pages 117-131! I am not the type of person who can afford anything but the most budget-minded stuff Sterophile reviews but since the subscription is next to nothing I receive it anyway. I say keep the vintage reviews coming.

I agree! Stereophile is the only audio rag I still subscribe to and enjoy, even if all I can afford are models listed in their Class C and D Recommended Components (from Cambridge Audio, Triangle Electroacoustique, Athena Technologies, etc.). To see an actual review and test report on some of the world's best vintage components is money well spent on a year's subscription renewal...Thanks for the heads-up!2.gif

----------------

On 5/15/2005 10:53:36 AM Parrot wrote:

Did they review a stock one or a rebuilt one?----------------

Does it make any difference?

+++++++++++++++

It would be low probability a stock one would have decent cap performance.

Maybe if it was boxed up and "mothballed" early in life? I do not know.

They seem to always be available on eBay, Dougie. According to a Vacuum Tube Valley artice (issue #6) on the 500c from a few years back, it's estimated over 100,000 were produced.

----------------

On 5/15/2005 1:22:34 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

----------------

Caps that old would be risky to use, and probably more risky if they had never been used. I wonder what kind of specimen Stereophile reviewed?

----------------

On 5/16/2005 7:46:36 PM Parrot wrote:

----------------

----------------

Caps that old would be risky to use, and probably more risky if they had never been used. I wonder what kind of specimen Stereophile reviewed?

----------------

I bet the specimen was redone by the Fisher Doc, he is most popular with the Fishers.

A NIB mothballed unit would most likely work flawlessly, just as long as the storage humidity was good. If it were a used mothballed unit, chances are that it too would work reasonably well. A unit with extreme use over the past 40 years would likely fail. Heating of the parts is the culprit. Heat destroys components.

The ERO signal caps used by Fisher compare favorably with those made today, no problem there.

----------------

On 5/16/2005 8:34:12 PM Painful Reality wrote:

I'm not sure it's such great news.

The last thing I would want is for these review to cause old stuff to become more sought after than it already is.

----------------

Jeff,

I'm curious about your reasoning here. Is it because inflated prices for the vintage gear makes it less of a bargain, or because its popularity might steer folks away from new stuff?

I read it this afternoon and I think that he said at the end that he has five of the Fisher 500 receivers and that the one he reveiwed was stock, but he did change out one of the filter caps and the ss Full-wave rectification, but I could be wrong, the article is very long and I can't seem to be able to find that section of the article now and I did read other things today. It was a very postive article on the Fisher 500, and I guess now would not be the time to get on Ebay and try to get a good deal on one, I bet the price will go thur the roof and probably double the old average price. I'am sure glad I'am not looking for a vintage amp., now that Stereophile is doing this, but it was very nice to read the respect that that Peter Breuninger has for the Fisher 500-C. 1.gif

----------------

On 5/16/2005 8:59:50 PM RCA 7591 wrote:

----------------

On 5/16/2005 7:46:36 PM Parrot wrote:

----------------

----------------

----------------

I bet the specimen was redone by the Fisher Doc, he is most popular with the Fishers.

A NIB mothballed unit would most likely work flawlessly, just as long as the storage humidity was good. If it were a used mothballed unit, chances are that it too would work reasonably well. A unit with extreme use over the past 40 years would likely fail. Heating of the parts is the culprit. Heat destroys components.

The ERO signal caps used by Fisher compare favorably with those made today, no problem there.

----------------

Hi Ryan.

At least you're starting to become a bit amusing:

Username:

RCA 7591

User Level:

----------------

On 5/16/2005 9:16:49 PM fini wrote:

I'm curious about your reasoning here. Is it because inflated prices for the vintage gear makes it less of a bargain, or because its popularity might steer folks away from new stuff?

----------------

[/blockquote>

Mostly because of the inflated price usually associated with high demand and low supply.

Right now vintage gear is usually a bargain, even considiering the cost to put the units back to shape.

This being said, I don't think those vintage review will steer folks away from new stuff.

In the article he does mention that you can get parts from the "Fisher Doc" HeHeHe! I found where he talks about what was upgraded " Each had a RadioShack silicon bridge recifier installed " and a few resistors replaced , "a hum promblem was repaired by replacing the large daul 1000uf bias-filter cap. with two individual 1000uf or 1500uf electrolytic caps.. Everything else was left in its original state" I knew I would find it, I just had to look harder, It's a very long article.9.gif