ALK Cornscala with K401 or Trachorn

jwc

Trachorn will eventually be in this mix. I am impressed with these the way they are. Much more than I expected.

I will probably listen to these for awhile. I'm kinda worn out after moving big speakers around.

Al, I found it amazing that your type B design sounds very much the same as your universal "A". I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the la scala and these cornwalls except for the addition of excellent bass. The tap on the "A" was 4 and X.

jc

Excellent post JC. Extremely informative, especially when you look at your website and you listed the step-by-step instructions (the bottom pics wouldn't load for me though...wonder why?). It would be fun to have a direct A/B comparison to a pair of Khorns. I wonder what the efficiency of you Cornscalas is?

-H2G

Man I'm bummed. I'm just hearing about some pics not loading.

I reloaded everything...try again.

I need feedback if all photos can't be seen. I'm on my own server and sometimes things look different to me than over the internet.

By the way, that site only has about 20% of the pictures I took. So if there is some question...I may ahve a picture for it.

jc

I didn't type up the code but I usually do...such as my other sites. This is just a conversion of a doc to htm through MS Word.

Earlier when I first posted, there as a surge of people on my server. I couldn't even surf myself. This has calmed down some.

Also, the document is huge! Because of all the high resulution pics.

I will soon publish a download file.

jc

I had no problem loading, but I have an extremely fast internet connection.

This is an amazing accomplishment.

Two questions though.

If you were going to swap drivers, why use that EV tweeter which others have acknowledged as being only so-so. Maybe a Beyma?

The boxes are qute big, I wonder how much they could be reduced if you did not use a dedicated bass bin, such that you used the top portion of the enclosure too.

IMO, what you've got more-or-less is a near-ideal Cornwall III if Klipsch were to re-introduce one.

jc,

I figured that web site code was machine generated by something. You need to edit out a lot of it. It's so big partly becasue of all that uselss stuff. I never saw a web site where the pictures would not scroll even off-line! All that "style" stuff needs to go! It's about a usefull as a screen-door on a submarine!

AL K.

Number Nine,

Good questions.

I wanted this to be "like" a Cornwall with a better mid. Also, I wasn't sure if the Beyma would work with an ALK B. Yes the Beyma would sound better. Also, in the end if the thing sounded bad, I was just gonna build a Cornwall.

I contemplated the all in one cabinet. As you will read in the document, the Trachorn wasn't meant to be in a sealed enclosure. Yes this is what I wanted. Now I am glad I didn't. Why, because this setup allows for easy changeout of mid/tweet in a snap w/o messing with the woofer volume. Also, the K401 is almost 24 inches DEEP. To accomidate this, I would have a volume close to double the Cornwall. Right now the volume is exactly like the internal Cornwall.

jc

By the way, that volume thing took a great deal of time to get right.

I had to submerge my K601 with the K57 and the K77 in water to get the EXACT volume. I put them in trash bags and sucked all the air out and twisty tied them. Yes, I looked like a real idiot doing this. However, that is what I used to make the calculations seen in the document.

jc

02240002.jpg

post-16499-13819264931486_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 5/15/2005 1:15:45 PM Al Klappenberger wrote:

That's a nice job and an excellent concept. I think you owe it to yourself to try a better squawker horn sometime though. As I understand it, the top baffle board can be removed to make that an easy job. Try and Altec 511b or my Trachorn. You will not regret it! You can esily back down if you don't like it too.

Al K.

----------------

I heard the ALK Trachorns in Khorns last weekend. There is no doubt that these are a significant improvement over the 401 squawkers.

Al,

I am workin on this. I had no problem loading this webpage of mine from work. Maybe the coding does suk. I'll come up with something. If anything, I could mail it to you in multiple formats

By the way

For anyone wanting a list of wood to buy at home Depot, All you have to do is show them this. They can cut the wood for you and all you have to do is build!

ftp://www.jwcullison.com/Cornscala/cs/woodorderallgrill.doc

jc

jwcullison

Any chance a person could just build the bottoms only for people with split La Scals too? Then a A vs B comparrison is possible..

I have always had a hunch if Klipsch did a front firing bass cabinet with the K 33 or K 43 and it went low like the Cornwall or down almost to the K horn it would be a MAJOR home run!

I know K horn people would die for a swivel top on a k horn so you could point it (e.g. Dial it in where you wanted it exactly) to the sweetspot in non perfect rooms to your seatting position.

There is something that people LOVE about the K horn and La Scalas. My guess, is that it is the tweeter mid horn combo is just awesome. (Yes, some newer x overs, maybe even drivers, make it even better. The AK-4 network upgrade kit as we heard last year on the K horns, OUTSTANDING!)

I think your on to something with this!!

absolutely

that would be easy

You would just have shorter side panels and no HF motorboard. If you seriuously want to do this, I could easily comprise a list of wood you need to build it. Go down to Home Depot and get started.

Realize, the width is 25 1/4....same as a Cornwall. This is a little wider than a scala. Just knowing your existing top HF section would be slightly narrower.

jc

You would just have shorter side panels and no HF motorboard. If you seriuously want to do this, I could easily comprise a list of wood you need to build it. Go down to Home Depot and get started.

I would love to try do this later this summer.. as far as a slightly bigger bottom end...no problem for me..

The speaker wires would not be a problem either....the X over in a split pair goes down to the lower cabinet I think directly from the top cabinets... And wired directly to the woofer itself. (I have never looked inside the bass bins to see if there is any X over in them. Pls someone else chime in.)

There is no crossover inside the doghouse of a La Scala. You are correct. You could split your setup.

HOWEVER

Your current crossover on the La Scala won't work with a ported/vented K33 or K43. I think I'm right here. Not a crossover expert.

jc

You can slightly modify either a type B or a type A crossover to be right for a Cornscala.

Also, you can easily adjust the width of the bass cab to be the 24 inch width of a Lascala instead of the 25 1/4 width of a Cornwall and keep the same volume. 24 inches is the width I used for my Cornscalas.

Bob Crites