ALK Cornscala with K401 or Trachorn

jwc

"G Kennedy.. To me ... the beauty of what you did last night ....was confirm IN YOUR ROOM, WITH YOUR GEAR and YOUR EARS .... that he AL network did not work for YOU. So often in this hobby (at which I am a total novice) ... it is so easy to blindly follow the advice of others."

But if you don't see real good it ain't a bad idea to let someone who can, take you by the arm and lead you. What good does it do to do an experiment that's failed from the beginning because you have the wrong network.

DeanG But if you don't see real good it ain't a bad idea to let someone who
can, take you by the arm and lead you. What good does it do to do an
experiment that's failed from the beginning because you have the wrong
network.

Well yes sir.... I am an idot with the propper networks...I agree on this.. It was just a try...... Still, it was fun!!

Indy,

I have
some very simple first order B type networks that are capped to cross
at 400hz if you would like to try them. Think I used those when I first
stuck the 511b/K55/K77 atop a Cornwall Bin.

Might give you a better idea as to the sound.

tc

Now see, that might be fun!

I'm liking this idea more and more.

Due to space constraints in our apt I think I'm going to try building these but with split tops and a smaller tractrix midhorn so the top won't have to be quite so deep.

Another advantage the split tops would give is being able to rotate the mid/highs in toward the listening position while keeping the bass bin tucked as far out of the way as possible

I whipped up a jig this afternoon to be able to make some of the tractrix curved pieces.

Messing around with the tractrix calculating spreadsheet off of Erik Forker's website with an input of 400Hz I ended with a horn with a mouth area just over 89sq" and a length of just over 10".

This seems like it should be fine for use with a stock CW crossover and should allow the midrange to come somewhat lower but I'm not sure how much since it looks like Al K's Trachorn is a bit larger.

The tweeters are going to be some Eminence APT-150's although making some ceramic tractrix horns to replace the plastic ones is not entirely out of the picture

-Josh

post-10623-1381938151215_thumb.jpg

post-10623-13819392926462_thumb.jpg

Indy,

I have some very simple first order B type networks that are capped to cross at 400hz if you would like to try them. Think I used those when I first stuck the 511b/K55/K77 atop a Cornwall Bin.

Might give you a better idea as to the sound.

tc

Now see, that might be fun!

Indy,

The first rule of mod's is that if it doesn't work........don't tell anyone[:'(]...... unless you can prevent another from going down the same road to nowhere.[;)]

• 4 months later...

Here is the wood order form for the build of two Cornscala cabinets in 3/4" panels. I also used pine molding strips and hardwood strips. Please refer to instruction document.

This was one of my firsts builds. I took this sheet to home Depot and had them cut all the 3/4" panels for me. I cut the pine molding strips and hardwood strips in the store my self or at home.

jc

woodorderallgrill.pdf

• 1 year later...

I just read through this thread, thanks to JWC sending me the link and answering some questions for me. Great build and documentation regardless when it was started. So no rest for the weary, I'm going to bump this thread because I believe there are many out there like me that have joined in the last couple of years that haven't seen this. Thanks again JWC![Y]

Good retrive Pete. Being a tinkerer (Hot Rodder) by nature I find this discussion fascinating. Inovation seems to abound with all the Jubscallas, Corrnscalas - custom Wooden horns, Crites titanium tweeters, mind boggling choices for xover components. A hot rodders dream come true - thanks guys, isn't the sweet music of life grand^^^^^

Cornman

I was understanding that the Lascala had a different low end sound beings that it was a folded horn design. So if one liked or cared for this sound would this upgrade still be the better pursuit.

Just curious for the simple fact I have not heard a Lascala or Khorn. Though they may not be as punchy but if you were looking for detail that's what they offered.

duder

I was understanding that the Lascala had a different low end sound beings that it was a folded horn design. So if one liked or cared for this sound would this upgrade still be the better pursuit.

Just curious for the simple fact I have not heard a Lascala or Khorn. Though they may not be as punchy but if you were looking for detail that's what they offered.

duder

If you read through the entire thread, in JWC's opinion, and he had Lascala's when he started, was that the Cornscala sounded better than his stock lascala's. When he was referring to my building a Cornscala he used the phrase "best bang for the buck" and I think what I'm going to do is build a set based on this idea prior to doing anything to my stock C 2's and do my own A/B with them as well as some basic (and this will be very basic testing) testing. I ordered the plywood for the build on Saturday.

• 5 years later...

As you may know,  you can buy a cornscala motorboard from Bob Crites.  Nobody seems to go for the classic. 

It has been over 10 years, I'm making a variation of the classic again.

The below pictures aren't textbook on how to make the cabinet.  It was my choice.  Way easier than the first time I built them.

First photo is the motorboard and the port supports and shelf.  Unlike before, I put a port "floor" that is the same size as the shelf.  42Hz port in a 6.1-6.3 cu ft cabinet.  This will have mid and tweet out of the bass box like the la scala.

Not gonna use the K401.  La scala fastrac with K55's.

post-14392-0-80840000-1440984444_thumb.j