Do optical cable go bad over time?

dmethe3

----------------

On 5/19/2005 7:55:19 AM Raptor22 wrote:

I had one that just quit one day. It had been connected for two years in a spot that was never accessed. I fiqured the boggie man got it.

----------------

I had the same thing happen to me, no external blunt force was applied. In my case I lost all channels except the fronts. weird

I will agree with Griff here... Not to say something whacky like bent at the connection while your hooking something else up or taking something out... Pretty indestructable. Hard to see any other problem... (Insert joke here.. Maybe they just got tired of your selection of music or DVD's and decided to self destruct?? LOL.. Just kidding!!!)

I believe they say not to bend them excessibely because they work off a method of light reflection and bending them or major kinks in the wires could affect performance (correct me if I'm wrong)

Doubt this would be the prob for the cable to just quit working...

----------------

On 5/19/2005 7:14:50 AM dmethe3 wrote:

Do digital optical cable go bad over time? Do they have a life span?

----------------

The problem with optical cables is typically in the unions (connections), not the optical cable itself (unless the cable was damaged as indicated above). This is true of any fiber optic cable.

My DVD player had intermittent problems with the optical signal. The DVD player was sending the signal, the receiver was expecting it, but nothing would happen.

Over time I realized that the connection was not quite right into the back of the reciever. Upon reconnection of the cable, my problems disappeared.

You may want to ensure that the cable is not being pulled at an angle as it enters/leaves your components. Make sure there is no play where the cables connect to your components.

----------------

On 5/19/2005 7:55:19 AM Raptor22 wrote:

I had one that just quit one day. It had been connected for two years in a spot that was never accessed. I fiqured the boggie man got it.

----------------

If you wouldn't boogie so close to your stereo, you wouldn't have that problem. You should always keep at least three feet between your gear and anything that boogies.

----------------

On 5/20/2005 1:17:56 PM kenratboy wrote:

Noel Lee sneaks into your house at night (on his Segway) and breaks your cables hoping you will go out and buy new (Monster) cables the next day. How else would he afford the Carrera GT and 50 other exotics?
11.gif

----------------

By suing everyone and their mom! That rat bast__d!

I worked several years for Luminator back in the early 90's, and fiber optic cable will not go bad, unless you get a construction crew to tear up your conduit.

The key to working with fiber optics is to provide a good end termination / connection. You need to take your time when polishing the cable ends. Other than that, it's a snap.

(ooh, I'm a poet & didn't know it).

Guys,

One thing to remember is to not to bend the fiber optic cable too tightly. Any time you need to change its direction, but a loop in it like it was going around a 6 inch pipe or larger. And alway check your connections, if they are loose you will have problems.

Good luck,

Paul

• 17 years later...
3 hours ago, BalantaBey said:

Cables can go bad over time without getting bent. No cable is perfect. There are defects than can be a center for energy absorption and that energy can further degrade the surrounding material. That's just one scenario.

Welcome to the forum.  Any reason why you chose to respond to a thread from 2005?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Any reason you chose not to correct information for 18 years? If I get a high hit on a Google search, someone else will also - this is how the internet, web sites and search engines work. Most moderators close forums or archive them if you don't want information corrected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BalantaBey said:

Any reason you chose not to correct information for 18 years? If I get a high hit on a Google search, someone else will also - this is how the internet, web sites and search engines work. Most moderators close forums or archive them if you don't want information corrected.

Any other mistakes or opinions you want to apply your knowledge to, go right ahead.

Welcome!

@BalantaBey

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BalantaBey said:

I just checked.  I joined the forum in June of 2005.  Had this been posted after that I would have done my duty and given the correct information.

Now, on to every post made since June 2005 to make sure everything has been answered correctly…

🙄