What music do you use to audition new speakers (or to impress the guy that asks you if those Klipsch speakers are any good)?

sputnik

• Moderators

Usually just ask what would they like to hear, hopefully they want to hear something I have. [:$] If they say they don't care I would put on something I like, usually after a while they will think about something they want to hear.

In one case it went downhill, he asked "I have a DVD can we try it", I said OK only to find out he loves Queen and wanted to hear the whole thing, a little Queen is ok but after a while at his volume around 100 Db it got hard to deal with for me. [^o)]

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually just ask what would they like to hear, hopefully they want to hear something I have. Embarrassed If they say they don't care I would put on something I like, usually after a while they will think about something they want to hear.

I also tried that approach, but didn't like the results...

The issue that I ran into is folks that believe that "loud" = 80-90 dB© because they listen to planar or other non-horn-loaded speakers with lots of modulation or power compression distortion that when driven at high SPLs, they sound bad or "loud".

It's also interesting that Floyd Toole also makes light of the same phenomenon from the opposite view in his book (from page 382):

"If there was a problem [with a developmental horn-loaded loudspeaker] it was a tendency to play it very much louder than is commonplace with consumer loudspeakers. That is one of the seductive characteristics of loudspeakers that do not power compress or distort at high sound levels, they don't sound loud until they are dangerously loud."

I had one visitor come in and listen to his own disk of completely bass-shy music that he had collected - ostensibly since his planar speakers with direct radiator woofers were pre-biased toward a "loudness curve" (heavy boost of high and low ends) that emphasized less than 90 dB© listening. He listened to the whole CD at less than 80 dB©, probably less than 75 dB©.

I threw on [EDIT: James Newton Howard and Friends] (referenced above), cranked it about 20 dB©, then I followed this with a variety of other disks with a greal deal more bass, followed by disks from bass solo players and drums, such as on Bromberg (Wood), Marcus Miller, Billy Cobham, and the Boston Rally Bass Collection (just for grins). The response: "...you picked selections with a lot more bass on them."

My response: "...yes, most CDs have a lot more bass on them...", etc.

My guests now get to listen to what I pick first, then they can listen to their music. The psychological response of the participants is totally different, I've found. [:|]

Chris

BTW...

I still recommend Flim and the BB's Big Notes CD for use as a demo disk--the one that Roy D. also uses for auditioning and fine tuning Jubs, etc.

f8e5810ae7a0a443c86f8110.L.jpgf8e5810ae7a0a443c86f8110.L.jpg

It may be the finest disk that I own for that particular use.

Chris

That is a good one Cask, I prefer Cakewalk and 8:29 off Tricycle myself but all Flim is audiophile grade as is James Newton Howard and friends, Larry Carlton and Freinds. These were and have been salon top Demo CD's for years now.

I'm with others in that I like my company to choose from any of my formats but what they like or want to hear.

For my personal preference I have several that I tend to put on for demo:

For male vocals I play Song for the Siren by Robert Plant or Amos Lee, "Colors", Peter Gabriel's EP of "In your Eyes" and Dan Dyer "3AM Drag" off the Breedlove album

For Females I'm partial to Ani DiFranco's rendition of "Amazing Grace", Crucify by Tori Amos, Beth Hart on "Favorite Things" and Natalie Merchant "Effigy"

Just as a kicker and best bass drum on vinyl my pick goes to "World Turning" off the Fleetwood Mac self titled album. When Mick kicks in that bass drum it sounds like your sitting right in front of it[;)]

• Moderators

My guests now get to listen to what I pick first, then they can listen to their music. The psychological response of the participants is totally different, I've found. Indifferent

Good point, I need to rethink my idea, it makes alot of sense, because if were me listening somewhere else, some of my favorite old classic rock recordings do not always sound very good, so if chose just because it's a favorite it surely does not do a system justice in many cases. [Y]

I like to use the following cuts to show off Klipsch, and for comparison with other speakers:

"Vision of Love" by Mariah Carey

"All Along the Watchtower" by Hendrix

"Hotel California" by The Eagles

"Angel" by Jackie Evancho (from PBS special)

"Midnight Man" by James Gang

"House at Pooh Corner" by Loggins & Messina ('Sittin' In' album)

"Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin

"I'd Love to Change the World" by Ten Years After (great CLEAN Alvin Lee picking)

"Ballad of Curtis Loew" by Lynyrd Skynyrd....also great is "Call Me the Breeze"

"Rocky Mountain Way" by Joe Walsh

"Thriller" by Michael Jackson (the song, not the whole album)

"Titanic Movie Theme-My Heart Will Go On"" by Celine Dion...also "That's the Way It Is"

"Tennessee Mountain Home" by Maria Muldaur

The list goes on and on........

I have found that the best way to get the maximum amazed look on the face(s) of folks who have never heard the BIG OLE KLIPSCH speakers is to mention how many watts the amp section CAN push, normally 25 or less RMS, then, with everything set flat and the volume all the way down, just turn it up to where it can barely be heard and to ask them to listen quietly, so that they can hear that all the music is there, just at low volume...and once you see that they can hear the clarity of it at low volume, very slowly turn the volume up...and watch their faces...I love to see those faces when I do that! Invariably there is always somebody who asks..."How many watts is that amp rated at, again?"...as I continue to turn up the volume to the the halfway point...normally still well below the clipping stage. Then I back the volume control down to comfortable listening levels for the whole audience. It always has the same results!