it nice when everything comes togeather

setting here this evening and now have all the upgrades togeather except for the vrd's from craig, (but i do have his st 70 he rebuilt and tweaked) listening to a couple different cd,s(enya watermark, willie nelson 16 greatest, shine down, clapton unplugged) and an album (dire straits making movies) and even a reel to reel (gordan lightfoot), and the sound is nothing short of amazing now. for the first time in years i got the goose bumps running up my arm, that thing that only happens when the sound actually affects you i setting here smiling from ear to ear only because i cant smile further, craig and mark are my new heroes there work made most of this experience possiable, as i knew nothing about tubes before this forum, and everyone has been so helpful i just want to say thanks to all, the new system is

jolida jd 100 cd with upgraded tube set

nakamichi rx 505 completely rebuilt

marantz model 125 tuner

teac X1000R reel to reel

dynaco st 70 (soon to be replaced with vrd's)

blueberry pre-amp with upgraded nos tubes and walnut case

(now offered by mark, juicy music)

basis 1400 Tt, with upgraded rega 300, and grado ref sonata

and of course la scalas with new rebuilt crossovers by crites

i think my upgradeing is all over now9.gif10.gif Joe

Congrats. I know how you feel. Often, the journey getting there can be a bit of a chore (but a loving, enjoyable one) that its nice to get where you want to be.

I agree with your props to Mark and Craig. I've achieved great sound out of my Peach, and I admire the sound of Craig's amps. Good to see you are running a Jolida JD100 with upgraded tubes. Made a ton of difference in my system with CDs. Even though the unit does wonders for horns, many people still have not heard one.

Now, enjoy the music - at least until the next round of upgrades begin (adding more horns).

Carl.

For Cryin' out loud get a decent boombox! 9.gif

AKA

I find myself amased time after time by the difference between the sound of a recording on a poor quality system and a really good system. The flip side is that I often find that recordings that sound decent on my car stereo are excreable when played on my home system!

You have come a long way in a short time Joe!

A request,( not a demand ),would you consider using Capitals at the start of your sentences ? Some of us old farts hate having to read every word in order to understand where sentences begin and end.9.gif

hey lynn (Crap i forgot to start with a CAPITAL)

Hey Lynn

I will try but english was never a strong suite of mine. I just get so excited by all this i cant type fast enough. (2 fingers will only go so fast) I know all about the old fart stuff, when i was a younger person i thought all that complaining about getting older was crap. Now that i hit 40 i feel things a whole lot more and am 1 of the people telling the youngsters just you wait.

Thanks for all the support Joe

----------------

On 5/26/2005 8:39:51 PM joessportster wrote:

for the first time in years i got the goose bumps running up my arm, that thing that only happens when the sound actually affects you i

----------------

Way to go, Joe!

kad1.jpg

----------------

On 5/27/2005 8:53:54 AM Colin wrote:

nice system

bet it sounds great

but no sub?

need a sub with LS!

not just for movies, but for music too.

10.gif

----------------

Even if you don't think you "need" a sub with your LaScalas Joe, Colin is right in that having the right sub available to fill in the bottom end (even if a little bit) can often improve the overall musical presentation. I integrate my sub at 60-80 hz at a modest volume to assist on the lower end - even with some very bass-capable speakers in my 5.1 setup. After hearing my revamped setup recently, a forum member decided to add a RSW-15 (at a relatively moderate setting) to his K-horns, and he is glad that he did.

Regardless of how bass-capable your mains are, sometimes the dreaded "subwoofer" can add a nice supplement to the mix - if used modestly.

Something to think about.........

Carl.

----------------

nice system

bet it sounds great

but no sub?

need a sub with LS!

10.gif

----------------

Using the Dynaco ST70, how would one connect/integrate a sub into that configuration?

I've been looking at tube amps/preamps and am dying to hear the difference. Is there anything wrong with a good, rebuilt Dynaco ST70? I've not heard of this "vrd" thing.

What's up w/ the Peaches and Blueberries? I know nothing (in the immortal words of Schultz) about either. Do I need one of these as well? I have Klipsch LaScalas (AL-3), and Cornwalls in my HT configuration. I would love to hear the difference b/t my Yamaha VXR2400 HT receiver and a real tube configuration.

I don't know where to start. Help is appreciated, especially from those of you with lots of experience.

Regards....Mitch

----------------

On 5/27/2005 1:03:06 PM texican58 wrote:

----------------

nice system

bet it sounds great

but no sub?

need a sub with LS!

10.gif

----------------

Using the Dynaco ST70, how would one connect/integrate a sub into that configuration?

I've been looking at tube amps/preamps and am dying to hear the difference. Is there anything wrong with a good, rebuilt Dynaco ST70? I've not heard of this "vrd" thing.

What's up w/ the Peaches and Blueberries? I know nothing (in the immortal words of Schultz) about either. Do I need one of these as well? I have Klipsch LaScalas (AL-3), and Cornwalls in my HT configuration. I would love to hear the difference b/t my Yamaha VXR2400 HT receiver and a real tube configuration.

I don't know where to start. Help is appreciated, especially from those of you with lots of experience.

Regards....Mitch

----------------

Mark Deneen, a forum member, has a company called Juicy Music Audio. Go to www.juicymusicaudio.com. A number of forum members have purchased Blueberries and Peaches, both of which are tube preamps - and have been very pleased with their sound. The primary difference between the Blueberry and the Peach is that the Blueberry has a phono linestage for vinyl spinning while the Peach does not (and therefore - usually for CD only), but the Peach also has a nice Home Theater bypass. The HT bypass in my Peach allows me to use it both as a two-channel tube preamp and also as a bypass so that my Belles can also receive a processor feed and act as mains in my 5.1 movie setup.

Go to www.nosvalves.com to see Craig's VRDs (Valve Roller's Dream). Craig Ostby, also a forum member, designed and builds these push-pull tube amplifiers and again - a number of forum members own them and rave about them - especially for horn speakers. In my opinion, there is nothing "wrong" with a rebuild Dynaco ST70 - I've owned one. However, VRDs are in another league altogether - both with respect to clean power (and lots of it) and quality of sound. If I did not own my Marantz 8B, I would probably own a pair of VRDs, and I may still purchase a set someday. I also own a Peach and have heard Blueberrys and VRDs with horns and all three are excellent products - especially for horns. Craig also does outstanding restorations or freshenings of vintage tube amps.

There is a simple solution for integrating a sub with a two-channel setup. Split one output coming out of your preamp (can use a simple "Y" adaptor) and send one feed (with a full signal) to the sub. Then, if the sub has a crossover, set the crossover to cut off the signal (60, 80, 100hz) where you want it. I split one of my main outputs coming out of my Peach preamp to my SVS sub, and it works like a dream.

Carl.

at present i am pretty happy with the set up i have a sub may add to the bottom end but i dont know what im missing untill i add a sub so in my case i dont feel like im missing out, all that said i was looking into a rs 12 or 15 but flat went broke getting this far with gear, i have an old 8" klipsch sub 50 wpc. but dont really care for the sound when it is attached to the system, i keep hearing that scalas have no bass but i have to challange that notion as they sound fine to me,(again dont know what your missing if you havent heard it) to me the scalas have better bass than the corns i sold. thanks for aall the comments and suggestions 10.gif Joe

PS if anyone wants to prove me wrong by donating a sub i would be all too happy to accept9.gif9.gif9.gif Joe

edit: there is nothing wrong with the dynaco i plan to keep it and use in a second system in my living room, it has great sound but i am trying to make my 2 channel system the absolute best i can, and that means vrd's10.gif Joe

Joe, I was really surprised all of the bass output from my Belles (especially with NOS output tubes) given some people's comments, and you are going to appreciate the effect the VRDs have on your lower end of your LaScalas.

If you are so inclined somewhere down the road, getting a nice sub would just be like additional icing on top of icing on top of your incredible cake.

Really nice setup. Now, continue to enjoy the music.

Carl.

----------------

On 5/27/2005 12:51:13 PM scott0527 wrote:

----------------

On 5/26/2005 8:39:51 PM joessportster wrote:

i think my upgradeing is all over now
9.gif"10.gif"
Joe----------------

Somehow, I doubt that.
2.gif

----------------

It's not over until we decide it's over!!!! 10.gif

----------------

On 5/27/2005 1:16:58 PM cjgeraci wrote:

----------------

On 5/27/2005 1:03:06 PM texican58 wrote:

----------------

nice system

bet it sounds great

but no sub?

need a sub with LS!

10.gif

----------------

Regards....Mitch

----------------

Mark Deneen, a forum member, has a company called Juicy Music Audio. Go to www.juicymusicaudio.com. A number of forum members have purchased Blueberries and Peaches, both of which are tube preamps - and have been very pleased with their sound. The primary difference between the Blueberry and the Peach is that the Blueberry has a phono linestage for vinyl spinning while the Peach does not (and therefore - usually for CD only), but the Peach also has a nice Home Theater bypass. The HT bypass in my Peach allows me to use it both as a two-channel tube preamp and also as a bypass so that my Belles can also receive a processor feed and act as mains in my 5.1 movie setup.

Go to www.nosvalves.com to see Craig's VRDs (Valve Roller's Dream). Craig Ostby, also a forum member, designed and builds these push-pull tube amplifiers and again - a number of forum members own them and rave about them - especially for horn speakers. In my opinion, there is nothing "wrong" with a rebuild Dynaco ST70 - I've owned one. However, VRDs are in another league altogether - both with respect to clean power (and lots of it) and quality of sound. If I did not own my Marantz 8B, I would probably own a pair of VRDs, and I may still purchase a set someday. I also own a Peach and have heard Blueberrys and VRDs with horns and all three are excellent products - especially for horns. Craig also does outstanding restorations or freshenings of vintage tube amps.

There is a simple solution for integrating a sub with a two-channel setup. Split one output coming out of your preamp (can use a simple "Y" adaptor) and send one feed (with a full signal) to the sub. Then, if the sub has a crossover, set the crossover to cut off the signal (60, 80, 100hz) where you want it. I split one of my main outputs coming out of my Peach preamp to my SVS sub, and it works like a dream.

Carl.

----------------

Carl,

Thanks for the candid, straight-up information. It's always a pleasure to get perfect succint answers to one's questions without the other unnecessary rhetoric.

great information....much obliged....mitch

Just to clarify, the VRDs are the tube amps, and the Peach is the tube preamp.

My Peach is incorporated into my HT (and in two-channel) - the following way. My CD player (Jolida) feeds my Peach pre, and feeds a Classe multi-channel processor. You could also substitute any multi-channel pre/pro or receiver to handle the multi-channel processor duties (instead of my Classe). My DVD player (Denon 2900) feeds the Classe multichannel processor, and I run the mains pre-out (of the Classe) to the Peach HT bypass input. The Peach, in turn, controls my Belles (as mains) via a Marantz 8B tube amp (or substitute VRDs in here). When I run two-channel, the Peach is in normal tube preamp mode, and it receives the input from my CD player. For HT duty, I turn the Peach to "HT Bypass," and this setting bypasses the tube pre - and switches over to the incoming input from the Classe multi-channel processor (for movies or for discrete multi-channel music). So....you use the same amp for both duties, and you are in effect using two different preamps or processors, depending on the duties. In HT mode, the Peach is bypassing itself and allowing the HT signal in from the multi-channel processor, which in turn, controls both my mains (and the rest of the speakers).

Carl.