I have a $1000 power cable on my phono stage....

maxg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/31/2005 5:40:09 PM D-MAN wrote:

Max, purple is the color of royalty. It was particularily expensive and rare. Made from crushed snails or something.

DM
2.gif

----------------

'twas not purple, it was Tyrian Blue. That explains everything, DM. 10.gif

Woo

----------------

On 5/31/2005 4:47:55 PM Parrot wrote:

----------------

On 5/31/2005 8:57:43 AM mmiles wrote:

It is all relative to the total expense. A $2500 ac cord on a $25000 mono block amp is a "no brainer" for level of conusmer.

----------------

I must have missed this rule of thumb, spend 10% of your amp's price on the power cord.

It doesn't take anyone engaging in a conspiracy to recognize that there is beaucoup money to be made by selling audiophool wire, and that the audiophools will come begging to be separated from their funds.

----------------

Oh no, I agree with Paul? I may have to rethink this! 9.gif

Larry - Did you say five figure power cords? Oh come on. I even consider myself to be pretty liberal on this topic having A'gonned a few Audience Powerchords, but FIVE FIGURES??? Even if you have a $100,000 system, you are talking about turning it into a $200,000 system with the POWER CORDS? Just when I got over the idea of a $8000 step up transformer...

Oh yeah, free thesaurus for the next one who uses the word "esoteric" when referring to power cords.

Ooops, I can't count. I meant 4-figure. I'll go back and edit. The NBS cords in a post above were high 4-figure, and you can see others, e.g. some from Siltech, in this list on The Cable Co. website. Some interconnects and speaker "cables" go to five figures, though. Amusing.

Larry

No rule of thumb I was just those numbers as an example.

Remember that the figures don't lie but a liar can figure...

For myself I like a "deal" like the one on the Parasound JC1 monoblocks posted in mid May (I can't believe that no one jumped on that one???) and I like "nice things" to boot.

Regards,

Mike

The $1000 cable is in. Nothing noteworthy thus far - but it was connected for only about 2 hours before I started listening for another 2. As my phono stage is permanently on I guess it is running in at home right now - with no music playing.

Last night's listening was not as satisfying as the previous 2 - with the cheaper cable in place - although I cannot put my finger on a why - save that my mood was possibly not as good.

One thing that did strike me - the vinyl I played seemed noisier (more surface noise) than it did at the weekend. I wonder if the cable has anything to do with that?

Tonight will be the first proper test. I have no idea if cables run in or not - but whatever happens should happen within 24 hours of being constantly used (as in power travelling down the line).

A couple of other issues have now come up - the relevence of which I am not sure about.

The first is that both the phono stage and the pre-amp have external power supplies. This means that aside from the power cable going into the power unit there is a secondary cable going from that to the audio equipment in question. I imagine this would reduce the impact of a cable change (if there is any to start with). Of course, the power levels travelling from the power supply to either phono stage or pre-amp should be rather different from (less than) the power levels going to each power supply.

It certainly seems that running these intermediate power cables next to interconnects makes no discernable difference to the sound coming out of the speakers - so this might be a red herring.

Of course I am now left to question whether changing the power chord on the pre-amp would be more or less effective on the sonics that a change on the phono stage.

I might play with that towards the end of the week if I get the chance.

Overall I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that there are just too many variables at play here - even with a supposedly non-changing system to draw any concerte conclusions.

That I enjoyed my listening more with the $100 cable leads me to gamble on buying that - whatever the cause of that greater enjoyment. If it works, it works - even if it works for purely psycho-acoustic reasons.

The argument - from Cablacksmith I think - that spending the $100 on more vinyl would be a far better use of the money certainly holds water, except:

1. This is not an either or situation - I could do both.

2. Right now there is no more room for any vinyl - I am overflowing my storage capacity severely and need to find somewhere else to keep the things - somewhere not obvious to SWMBO!!

Max,

I can understand the shielding issue that you brought up earlier but I just have a hard time thinking that the $100.00 cable is any better than the $3.00 one other than the shielding. I wont even go near the $1000.00 one.

I just dont understand how one cable out of --- (put in the number of components that have a power cord) can really make any differance. Wouldn't you really need to replace every power cable in your system to even think about making a difference?

I am one of those people that believe that wire is wire and you could spend your money on something else. Maybe take SWMBO out to dinner and use the rest for more LP's. I know there is a positive side to wining and dining SWMBO.

9.gif

Steve

" can understand the shielding issue that you brought up earlier but I just have a hard time thinking that the $100.00 cable is any better than the $3.00 one other than the shielding"

A reasonable point - but I think I would expect thicker, heavier cable, better quality of connections to the 2 end pieces and better quality of end pieces (they are certainly larger and heavier) to make, one presumes a better connection with the socket.

Whether any of it makes a sonic difference or not I dont know - but difference there certainly is.

I do believe in sonci differences in cables - at least as far as interconnects and speaker cables are concerned - and have experienced it. Interestingly my ultimate choice of speaker cable was not the more expensive of the ones I tried - it was a more middle of the range cable that just seemed to suit my idea of how things should sound - better.

I, too, have a hard time with the logic that a power cable can make a difference to sonics. I struggle to explain my own observations and the shielding issue was the main one that came to mind.

The other points raised above are statements of fact - in that they appear to be, shall we say, better made and out of better components that the $3 cable. I still have trouble making the quantum leap from that to better sound - although I am fairly sure it wont hurt the sound, fairly that is.

----------------

Oh yeah, free thesaurus for the next one who uses the word "esoteric" when referring to power cords.

----------------

Encarta Dictionary's definition of esoteric:

1. restricted to initiates: intended for or understood by only an initiated few

2. abstruse: difficult to understand

3. secret: secret or highly confidential

Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2005. © 1993-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Works for me in describing $1000 power cords1.gif

----------------

On 6/1/2005 6:35:41 AM kev313 wrote:

I thought that there isn't any secret to these cords.

----------------

...to elaborate...

1. restricted to initiates: intended for or understood by only an initiated few

...the "great unwashed" (of which I belong) certainly don't understand the hoopla of "esoteric" cables...

2. abstruse: difficult to understand

... difficult to understand why someone would pay $1000 for a power cord and difficult to understand why the dern thing would make any difference anyway...

3. secret: secret or highly confidential

...several things come to mind here, from 1) the secret to making ungodly profits to 2) the confidential company in-house memo admitting that it is all smoke and mirrors to 3) "the Colonel's secret recipe" to 4) "two all beef patties, special sauce..."

----------------

On 6/1/2005 12:04:19 PM mdeneen wrote:

I don't think they are esoteric, just expensive. The "point" of owning a $1,000 lamp cord, or a $20,000 patch cord is really only understood by those who can afford to buy them. Conspicuous consumption is alive and well. Who would imagine a 265-foot yacht qualifies as "personal transportation?" Excess knows no bounds, never has. Everything is relative.

mdeneen

----------------

If you build it overprice it someone will buy it

11.gif12.gif11.gif12.gif11.gif12.gif11.gif

Max, forget the purple $12 power cord with the $1000 label. You will hear more difference by giving you stylus another 30 strokes between records and taking another sip. I knew someone had to bring you back when you wondered if the noisy vinyl was caused by the cord.

What you hear is controlled by these things in descending magnitude:

1] Your mental listening environment(your present mood, current level of sobriety, past musical experience, inate ability to understand music vs having a "tin ear" or being "tone deaf", experience as a musician,etc.)

2] Your physical listening environment (room acoustical charateristics too numerous to mention - it takes a long time to get this right)

3] Which Klipshes you have and placement (I include crossover networks as part of the speakers and of similar magnitude contribution)

4] Source (I put source before amplification because I listen to vinyl only, some say other way around for digital source)

5] Amplification equipment

At this point you are about 60dB down... wires, cables, "interconnects", individual electronic elements, cable lifers, sand stabilizers, laser active vibration compensation, bricks and rocks on top of components, pointy feet... no real measurable difference - less than the effect of one more sip of adult beverage (see #1 above).

Hope this clears everything up!

Paul

"Without engineers, we would still be living in caves and making fire with sticks."

Without physicists there would be no engineers... only jury riggers.

Can't say if without engineers we would still be living in caves but for sure, without engineers in the lunch room, the dress code would be much improved...

I didn't realise the prepondenance of cable nay-sayers on this board until now.

You may all be right - of course - and my head is telling me you are - with regard to power cables at least, but I am a stubborn bugger and like to try things out for myself.

One call just confirmed the $100 cable is now magically $60. That was without undue pressure from me - I think I can do better.

Tonight will be a big night of testing for the $1000 (which I am sure will become $600 in similar fashion). It has had 24 hours of power running through it so it should be warmed up or whatever.

Whatever happens - there is nothing purple entering this system! If by any wild stretch of the imagination this thing suddenly enthuses me with the desire to by it they will have to offer it in another colour or the deal is off.

I am buying this jewelry - the least they can do is make it suit my style.

Now I am off to listen.

Warning! If that power cord has been conducting for the last 24 hours that means it has passed through 25K miles of the Earth's magnetic field at close to 1000 miles per hour (can we say "dynamo"?). No telling what this might do to it's sound - in fact you may have already unwittingly violated the warranty. You may have to buy it afterall because of this permanent damage to it's sound! I guess the seller will listen to it to be sure it is OK if you try to return it.

----------------

On 6/1/2005 12:54:28 PM maxg wrote:

I didn't realise the prepondenance of cable nay-sayers on this board until now.

You may all be right - of course - and my head is telling me you are - with regard to power cables at least, but I am a stubborn bugger and like to try things out for myself.

One call just confirmed the $100 cable is now magically $60. That was without undue pressure from me - I think I can do better.

Tonight will be a big night of testing for the $1000 (which I am sure will become $600 in similar fashion). It has had 24 hours of power running through it so it should be warmed up or whatever.

Whatever happens - there is nothing purple entering this system! If by any wild stretch of the imagination this thing suddenly enthuses me with the desire to by it they will have to offer it in another colour or the deal is off.

I am buying this jewelry - the least they can do is make it suit my style.

Now I am off to listen.

----------------

I agree don't take anyone elses word for something until you have tried and tested for yourself. If someone had offered me some high price power cables, interconnects, or speaker cables to test I would definately try them out. Why not? You can either prove your gut feeling wrong or right and it's fun.