I have a $1000 power cable on my phono stage....

maxg

----------------

On 6/1/2005 12:54:28 PM maxg wrote:

I didn't realise the prepondenance of cable nay-sayers on this board until now.

You may all be right - of course - and my head is telling me you are - with regard to power cables at least, but I am a stubborn bugger and like to try things out for myself.

----------------

Cables can make a difference, not sure about the break-in in the case of cables, really not sure about the price tag (actually I'm sure most mark-up prices are absolutely indecent but hey, who am I to "hate freedom" of establishing your own pricing policy) but saying "cables do not make a difference in the sound" is a bit weird to me. Are some of the nay-sayers that deaf? I wish one could forget the price tag, the stupid claims like "using a special copper optimised for 60 Hz (for whatever this may mean)" and just do a small test.

This being said, I agree they won't lead to "first order of magnitude" type of changes (especially with power cables where all I can distinguish is between if the AC cable is shielded or not). Cables is not where I would spend my money to make a difference but my experience is that different cables will make for (slightly) different sounds.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 6/1/2005 1:50:37 PM fini wrote:

Without engineers, trains would probably crash more often.

----------------

Now I could see spending $1000.00 on train interconnects, but for audio?

If you have a $100,000.00 audio system that would dictate that you should spend that much on speaker wire and interconnects, does that mean you should pay double for LPs and CDs or triple?

----------------

On 6/1/2005 1:50:37 PM fini wrote:

Without engineers, trains would probably crash more often.

----------------

That can't be right. Without engineers they would never leave the station and therefore never crash.

Therefore:

Engineers cause train crashes.

Flawless (floorless?) logic!

----------------

Whatever happens - there is nothing purple entering this system!

----------------

Now, THAT's a manly man!

----------------

I didn't realise the prepondenance of cable nay-sayers on this board until now.

----------------

But, Max it has been sooo much FUN and all at your expense!

One positive of many esoteric cables, are the fine quality terminations used. You can plug and unplug at will withput fear of the connector breaking. Another plus is that some of these cables happen to be very flexible. That is a plus when room is tight. These features are the main things I look at when buying interconnects.

So there. I CAN find some good things to say about esoteric cable.

----------------

On 6/1/2005 6:05:34 PM edwinr wrote:

One positive of many esoteric cables, are the fine quality terminations used. You can plug and unplug at will withput fear of the connector breaking.

----------------

Not to put Mon$ter in the same breath as esoteric cables, but on two occasions I have had their "cut turbine" design RCA plugs pull jacks out of the back of equipment - last time was the green component jack on the back of my $1K HDTIVO when I moved it from one shelf to another on the equipment rack. So, while the connector itself may not break, it could spell "taps" for your equipment.

Well just to complete the story I now DONT have a $1000 cable on my phono stage.

Last night's listening was pleasant but no banana - in fact - no discernable difference from the $3 computer power cable I had originally.

So it looks like the $100 for $60 or better cable for me.

That's all folks!

• 2 months later...

I have a $750 power cord sitting on my desk waiting for a new home! Its

black, I have a perspective buyer, just waiting for the paypal address.

To tell you the truth the only thing that a power cord really helps is

a power amp. The cleaner power provides a better sound. Not sure as to

why, however it just does.

I have a $750 power cord sitting on my desk waiting for a new home! Its

black, I have a perspective buyer, just waiting for the paypal address.

To tell you the truth the only thing that a power cord really helps is

a power amp. The cleaner power provides a better sound. Not sure as to

why, however it just does.

Your power cord cleans the power ?

Actually I just wanted to reply to something on the new forums to see if my login was working or not...

but anyway, the subject of power cords is something that's been done over and over here. There is at least one way that a power cord can make a difference in the sound of your system.

The fact that there is miles and miles of aluminum wiring, going to a (usually cheap) breaker box, with cheap Romex wiring in the walls, to a $0.98 outlet in the living room, into which you plug your $$$ power cord is <strong>*NOT*</strong> (did that work?) the issue.

*** edit - hummm, embedding HTML codes no longer <font color="red">works</font>.

You have six feet or so of power cord between the outlet and the component. This six feet of wire is emmersed in a veritable bath of EMI. If you have digital equipment, you have high frequency hash saturating the environment within a few feet of your equipment rack. Every piece of gear you have is, to a greater or lesser degree, emitting RFI noise that a power cord might pick up. If you are like me, you have a spaghetti (?spell?) nest of patch cords, speaker cables, power cords, power strips and Cable TeeVee cables piled up and intertwined with each other behind the equipment. In this environment, it is quite possible that some power cables might be better at rejecting the electrical noise they are subjected to than other cables. Note that doesn't mean that is costs a bazillion dollars to design and construct a power cord that is properly shieded. My point is, it's quite possible for cord A to sound different than cord B.

Max,

Does your phono stage have a fuse? If so I suggest you hold a spare fuse in your hand for your next listening session. Every time you start to think the cable is making some major difference take a look at the fuse. Then realize that every bit a magical electricity coming from this magical power cord is running through a fuse just like the one in your hand before any music is produced.

Craig