What's in your garage?

kohill

I knew a guy that built an airplane in his basement and he honestly said he did not think about how he was going to move it once it was built.

I also know of a guy who needs to do an ad for ATLAS model trains, he has a HUGE layout and then has almost every car Atlas has produced displayed on all the walls (thousands, of cars) That is another cool hobby that I really do admire. I built a pretty neat 3' by 5' n scale layout.

Opps, sorry I got off track,,,,,,,,,hehehehe

----------------

On 5/31/2005 12:24:55 AM jt1stcav wrote:

Sorry, no garage stereo system, just an old Panasonic AM/FM portable radio.

Oh, and a 19 rank residence pipe organ my dad built for our house back in '83, made up of some very old pipework, some fairly new, and the rest he built entirely by himself (and now up for sale, hopefully to a church that will appreciate it)!

DSCN04213.jpg"
----------------

My God, can you play it in the garage? The mad scientist plays Toccata & Fugue! Reminds me of a Pink Panther movie. 6.gif

----------------

On 5/30/2005 10:42:27 PM fini wrote:

Probably the most exotic items in my garage are a pair of AR-LSTs. The woofers (according to A Brown Soun, in San Rafael) need to be replaced, or rebuilt (not just refoamed). they're highly sought after, and I plan on (eventually) restoring and selling them.

----------------

A brown Soun fini. Is this the same company as tone tubby? They make hemp speaker cones for guitar cabs. As for my garage there isn't nothing but a bunch of garbage. Needs a cleaning this year that's for sure.

----------------

On 5/31/2005 4:54:55 PM Timmikid wrote:
My God, can you play it in the garage? The mad scientist plays Toccata & Fugue! Reminds me of a Pink Panther movie.
6.gif

----------------

Actually, I was thinking about "The Ghost & Mr. Chicken"9.gif

Woo

----------------

On 5/31/2005 4:59:10 PM wheelman wrote:

----------------

Probably the most exotic items in my garage are a pair of AR-LSTs. The woofers (according to A Brown Soun, in San Rafael) need to be replaced, or rebuilt (not just refoamed). they're highly sought after, and I plan on (eventually) restoring and selling them.

----------------

A brown Soun fini. Is this the same company as tone tubby? They make hemp speaker cones for guitar cabs. As for my garage there isn't nothing but a bunch of garbage. Needs a cleaning this year that's for sure.

----------------

Dat's Dem!

----------------

On 5/31/2005 5:57:17 PM fini wrote:

----------------

On 5/31/2005 4:59:10 PM wheelman wrote:

----------------

----------------

----------------

----------------

Cool!! I thought so. If you know the guy, and can get some locally on the cheap I may be interested in some 16 ohmers ( ceramic/ or alnico (which is more expensive). I wouldn't mind trying two in my two twelve cab.

I don't really know them (just had them do some repair work), but if you call them and they'll do a walk-in deal, I'll pick them up and ship them if you want. They're about 30 miles away, or so.

Some dark and stormy night we have to sneak into The Jets garage and listen to some serious scary organ music. Betcha he's got one of those Frankenstein machines in there also. Who wants to to be the first to take a ride to the top of the castle in that one.

No maxg, I didn't win any contest! I don't have an old stereo setup out there, and no spare Klipsch, so actually I lose! I think fini has alot of neat ol' tube consoles that would put him in first place.

DSCN037819312.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, though...it is a complete instrument that speaks from a chamber built into the majority of the garage (outside the false wall is where my dad kept his power tools; not much room left in this 2-car garage, and forget about parking any cars in here). The right garage wall adjoins the foyer that opens into the formal living room; there on that wall is an expressive/decorative opening for the organ to speak into the living room. The 2-manual console that operates the organ sits in the living room on a movable dolly.

post-11084-13819266251398_thumb.jpg

Jim T.... I'm so JEALOUS! I couldn't see any reeds in the mix there... so.... what's the stop list?

I know a guy in South Carolina who has an 8 rank instrument in his house (amazingly, with a 16' *open* diapason!!)...

but 19 ranks!!!

JEALOUS I AM!!!

Woo

Forrest, here's the Great 8' Trumpet from a '50s Wicks (the pneumatic chests and framework my dad built from scratch). Behind that is the bottom octave to the Swell 8' Hautbois, that being the Pedal 16' Contra Bassoon (bottom 12 pipes with half-length resonators and offset chest completely built by my dad)!

DSCN0424_a3.jpg

post-11084-13819266252558_thumb.jpg

The Swell Division, with the 8' Vox Humana inside the expression box, and the 8' Hautbois behind that. Pay no attention to my brother making a face between the Oboe and the Harmonic Flute!3.gif

DSCN05861.jpg

Because the entire 19 ranks are enclosed inside the "chambers" within the garage, you see the entire instrument in one room. Not the best arrangement for an American Classic style pipe organ, but it's all he could do just to stuff 19 ranks into a 2-car garage!

No 16' open stops in this instrument, but there are two stopped 16' flute stops in the Pedal.

post-11084-13819266255572_thumb.jpg

The specs to the 1983 G. Tidwell & Sons residence pipe organ, Opus 1:

Great:

8' Diapason

8' Rohrgedeckt

8' Dolce/Unda Maris (2 ranks share same stop tab)

4' Octave

4' Holzgedeckt

2' Fifteenth

III Mixture

8' Trumpet

Swell:

16' Bourdon Doux

8' Viola/Celeste (2 ranks share same stop tab)

8' Gedeckt

4' Principal

4' Kleingedeckt

4' Harmonic Flute

22/3' Twelth

2' Waldflote

13/5' Tierce

11/3' Larigot

8' Hautbois

8' Vox Humana

4' Holzregal

Pedal:

16' Subbass

16' Lieblichgedeckt

8' Principalbass

8' Bourdon

4' Choralbass

4' Stopped Flute

16' Contra Bassoon

8' Bassoon

Jim,

Your Dad must be a trip! Give him my best! Hey, I wonder if he'd like to take a wander out West, to see what he can make with all the stuff in my garage...

1 old kenwood receiver playing 1 really old jensen mt-8 hi-fidelity speaker.

and 2 tablesaws, 12" miterbox-cutoff saw, 24" surface planer, jointer, several sanders, shaper, drill press, tile saws, spray equipment, big compressor........lot's of everything but space to work

in use -

Scott 299B (NOS Valves redux)

Dynaco A-25's (speakers)

Sansui TU-717 (tuner)

Sony Walkman (cdp)

APS Whip antenna

Nitty Gritty record cleaner

not in use -

Klipsch Cornwall's 1977 "Decorator" restored completely, almost a dulplicate of my main system pair

2 Sony 5000FW (tuners)

Dynaco A-25's (speakers)

Harmon-Kardon 630 receiver

Marantz SR-7000 A/V Receiver

Fisher X-101 (amp)

McIntosh MC225 (amp) ready to ship for restoration

Thorens 145 (tt)

2 banana boxes FULL of interconnects, speaker wire, terminals and etc.

buttloads of tubes

Arcam MCD (cdp)

and a bunch of other audio crapola I can't remember right now

Bottom Line - My wife is NOT happy, but doesn't say anything. I don't deserve her.

Thanks,

Chris

----------------

On 6/1/2005 8:17:57 AM fini wrote:

Jim,

..."Hey, I wonder if he'd like to take a wander out West, to see what he can make with all the stuff in
my
garage..."

----------------

Tell ya what, Gregg...if you wanna buy his pipe organ for several grand, he'll personally come over to install it in your garage for ya!2.gif