Be glad you only play with Stereo Equipment

Guest Anonymous

Did you win that car?

I would also like to know how in 35 years there is only 27 original miles. Call me a "nay-sayer" but I just can't believe it. I don't know... its a crazy world.

Best,

George

----------------

On 5/30/2005 1:38:57 PM Gramas701 wrote:

Did you win that car?

I would also like to know how in 35 years there is only 27 original miles. Call me a "nay-sayer" but I just can't believe it. I don't know... its a crazy world.

Best,

George
----------------

No I was not the buyer. (nor did I ever contact the seller). I was just following the auction because I have similar muscle cars in my collection: www.SS427.com/#mytoys

To answer your question, you just saw 425,000 reasons why. A restored car like this one would only sell for about $150,000.00

I can remember when I worked at a Chevrolet dealership in 1978 a customer bought a new fully optioned L-82 Corvette Pace Car. I was under strict instructions not to even start the car to unload it of off the transport truck. We loaded it onto his car trailer by hand and as far as I know, that car has less than 2 miles on it today.

----------------

On 5/30/2005 2:08:37 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

gotta be kiddin'

Barret-Jackson, or what's-thier-name in Toronto .. couldn't sell that car for that much ....

maybe i outta list my '71 SS 454 .......

saay, for the Bargain Price , of , say ... $ 250,000 .....9.gif

----------------

Actually, 4 months ago Barrett-Jackson (Scottsdale AZ) sold Lot# 989.1 which was a 1970 LS-6 Chevelle for $324.000.00.

Guest Anonymous

Don't all the seals and gaskets dry up and go bad from never being used? To em that seems like a problem....

Also, tell me honestly that you would never want to drive a car like that? If I bought a car like that I would love to take it out on a nice day and cruise, instead all people have done is just stare at that car in a "temp controlled" room for the last 35 years.

Best,

George

I sold a beautiful 1972 SS 454 Chevelle for $7,000 in the late 90's and had trouble getting that price. I sold my 1969 350 HP 350 Cu. In. convertible Corvette in 2002 for $13,000 and had troubel getting that price too. I also sold an unrestored (but needed restoration) 1967 Camaro RS, delux interior convertible (327 w/ powerglide) for $4500 in the mid 90's.

All of these TV shows are driving teh price of these cars way up.

Everyone go ahead and make me feel really bad now.

Chris

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 5/30/2005 1:38:57 PM Gramas701 wrote:

Did you win that car?

Best,

George

----------------

I agree with George ,might have been driven with the speedometer disconnected.What most people dont realize older cars are mileage exempt, Its a nice car but underbody and trunk aftermarket paint leeds me to believe it has more mileage than it appears (all the factory underbody tags and paint markings are missing).I have seen some actual low mileage cars at my work place www.holtautosales.com were I live and breath Corvettes & Muscle cars as a restorer and reconditioner for the past 20 yrs..regards Tony C

As far as the Doubting Thomas' go on the mileage, a buddy of mine from high school has a 72' Camaro Z-28 with only 30-somthin' miles on it. Has the original tires, oil, air filter, everything. It's in some sort of Midnight Bronze color. Found the build sheet under one of the seats.

He(we) came across this car when both of us signed up for Vocational Auto-Mechanics for high school (graduating class of 83'). In the shop sat said car.

In 72' our high school just finished adding on a vocational building that was pretty massive. The auto shop alone could hold up to 22 cars comfortably allowing them to be worked on. Across town was another high school auto shop called Quarter Tech. In Norwood, OH (VERY near Cincinnati) the GM assembly plant (and where nearly every Z-28 was built) donated a half dozen or so Z-28's to use as teaching guides for classes. Our shop teacher, Paul Horn, picked up the car and drove back across town to our school's shop and parked it. It never saw the outside again till the early 1990's. Using the argument that it was old technology and virtually nothing about the car resembled what a mechanic would find on a current production vehicle, my buddy finally was able to convince the Cincinnati School Board to sell it to him.......and it wasn't cheap. I don't know exactly what he paid but it was way more than the sticker price. The only thing students did to it was set the timing.

It was towed on a flat bed to his house nearby and is still on four jack stands. It was actually invited to be on display for the Concours De' Elegance competition about five years ago.

The only other donation that GM made to us was an 82' Olds Toronado........that fell off a train!

A fella I worked with in the mid 70's tried to sell me his Chevelle SS 454 that he bought new and rarely drove. It was green with a green vinyl top if I remember correctly. Wanted $1650 for it.

A school teacher up the street sold a peachy Indy Pace Car Corvette last year for $13,000. It was nice and had low mileage. Nice to look at but my butt got tired of those in 1977.

Keith

How often does a car like this show up out of nowhere? Wouldn't something this precious have been in a few prestigious car shows, especially if the owner had plans to sell it? For $425,000, I would have offered up some sort of verifiable confirmation regarding the original status of the car - at least some sort of third party inspection report. The fit and finish looks medicore enough to be original.

If you look at the next to last picture, is it me, or does it look like black overspray/undercoat on the exhaust pipe just before the muffler?

If the car is/was never to be used and inside a temp controlled room, would it REALLY be necessary to undercoat it?

----------------

On 5/30/2005 2:52:45 PM Gramas701 wrote:

Don't all the seals and gaskets dry up and go bad from never being used? To em that seems like a problem....

----------------

Not so much as the you might think. Some of mine have been parked for 18 years, and not had a problem.

Nice cars, no doubt, and the prices are only what the market will bear.

Reminds me of an old boss of mine, had serious money and collected Corvettes, seems he had 50+ different ones in a custom built storage area, three floor with an elevator type thingy that would carry the cars up or down levels as needed. He had one that ws supposedly never made, some sort of prototype that Chevrolet originally claimed they never built, but he had the history of it and signed letters of authentication from the engineers at GM that built it. (He had buddies in Detroit.) GM finally admitted they did know of it's existance, but claimed he couldn't legally own it because it was technically never for sale. Once the dust settled in the courts, he won, on the condition that he allow GM to buy it back at a price over $1,000,000, and that was 15 years ago. It seems to me it was some sort of a Duntov, but I can't remember for sure. He did still have pictures of it in his office, a sweet piece of G.M. history.