You think your Khorns are to big, check this out!!!!

This brings up 2 questions in my mind:

1) how low (in frequency) do you need to go?

2) Exactly what source material is going to "exercise" that horn? Isn't going to be music, that's for sure.

Seems like a lot of resources expended for not-alot of return.

But for showing off in a dealership, now THAT makes some sense!

DM2.gif

Cool.

Looks like alot of work, though.

I wonder what the end result would sound like.

I'll bet it's quite an experience.

I've toyed around with the idea of folding a couple of small horns in the attic space above my family room.

I read somewhere that it is becoming popular in the far east.

...or this single-driver Lowther design from Nelson Pass. A few here own and use Lowthers(or Fostex and/or AER full range drivers, as well.

http://www.passdiy.com/

Erik

edit: Just an FYI: For those of you who may enjoy DIY audio projects and aren't familiar with 'Audio Express' (which featured the Nelson Pass project above), it's a very informative and useful publication. I had subscribed to both 'Speaker Builder' and 'Glass Audio' for years, and those have now been combined into 'Audio Express.'

The PDF link has more in-depth information for those who might want to check that out. This system is really more complex than consisting of a single, 'full-range' driver (note the quotes around 'full-range'). The Lowthers are very 'fast' drivers, and can have amazing transparency and transient speed in mid to higher frequencies. In this range they are really direct radiating dynamic drivers, and need very large horn loading to get appreciable bass response. Even then, there is the argument over time-delay issues, coloration, etc., concerning this type of application. We have the rear-loaded Lowther-America Medallion II cabinets, which were our main speakers before the La Scalas and now Klipschorns. Despite their large size, they, as our side channel loudspeakers (rolled off at 120 cycles) are operating within a very good range.

Things used to be much more simple around here...(which is not a reflection of sound quality in a 'then-and-now' sense)

Here is a much smaller example of a rear-loaded -- Lowther PM2As in rear-loaded horns, grilles removed. The drivers, by themselves, are more expensive than what we paid for two Klipschorns in very good condition!

Erik

post-10533-13819266294224_thumb.jpg

Hey, what he says about feedback and phase near the top of the page is interesting.

Basically, he mentions that the feedback that you are getting from your speakers has altered phase, and does not match the source material..... and therefore you should always use a zero-feedback amp.

Very interesting. I never thought of that. Conversely, you could just a feedback amp with a speaker that doesnt use a crossover, like a lowther horn or other single driver, or the Reference 3a DeCapo, which has no crossover on the woofer.