NO MORE SS GEAR ON MY BENCH!

DRBILL

----------------

On 6/5/2005 1:52:40 PM silversport wrote:

Win,

that's good to know but I always read you guys talking about balancing the framistat or futzing the output while clavening the input tubes...I want to sit down at a moments notice and push a button or flip a switch and hear music...I am intrigued by the mad scientist method of constantly tweaking dials but it is not for me...of course, never seeing my father do this with his tube gear perhaps I have fallen prey to a bit of disinformation???

YMMV
9.gif16.gif

Bill

----------------

If you buy self biasing tube gear and new tubes you should be good to go for a long time and never have to make adjustments. I bought all my gear and tubes used about two years ago and have only noticed one problem which did not keep me from listening to music one channel just sounded off to me and it took five minutes to find the problem. The beauty of tubes is you can swap tubes if you want to see if there is a difference in sound but you don't have to do it however with solid state you do not have the luxury of swapping anything to change the sound. You could always try out some tube gear and if you don't like it sell it on audiogon.com but my bet would be that you would keep the tube gear 1.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 6/5/2005 2:12:14 PM silversport wrote:

very cool...never to old to learn, eh???

Bill

----------------

Bill:

As was said, self biasing leaves updating the caps, checking the resistors, having a reliable tube source - there are a few.

If others in yur family were ever into tbes, it might spark a rememberance of what to do.

We had tube TVs for years. Do I think a person should do it, I would say listen for yourself.

I have a tubed and an SS set up both with Cornwall IIs.

They're not press on button and listen. Tubes need to warm, so you have a delay. They are warm - sound and temperature.

Drop me a line. I'm not trying to sway you.

"The FM3 is bone stock. What modifications would you recommend? Are the upgrades available below worth the cost and effort?"

Neil,

When I don't know I'm not ashamed to say so. I have seen the mods advertised, but I have no experience there. If you are happy with the way the FM3 sounds, don't bother. I have restored several with no amendments and they were fine. In time, they may be worth more unaltared. Just a thought.

DR BILL

----------------

On 6/5/2005 10:21:15 AM JJKIZAK wrote:

DrBill:

I don't agree with you on any of your statements.

JJK

----------------

JJK,

Like the country, is this a great forum or what? We can say whatever we want.

I had to smile at your statement, because I think it Dr. Bill may have heard similar sentiments before.

I compliment you on expressing your thoughts without a flaming personal attack, as is common with some of the less genteel members of this forum.

...gracious guy that DrBill is.... he has recorded your vote. 2.gif

That is a bold and very generalized statement especially since you have certainly NOT heard them all. There are some really high quality SS amps out there but you have to have an open minded attitude.

I could say that all tube amps are heat and distortion generators requiring constant babying and attention, while my SS amp was been operating for 15 years without even replacing a fuse - so there!

I'll put my SS amps against whatever tube amps you have, in any performance category! Name it!

----------------

On 6/6/2005 8:07:44 AM Frzninvt wrote:

That is a bold and very generalized statement especially since you have certainly NOT heard them all. There are some really high quality SS amps out there but you have to have an open minded attitude.

I could say that all tube amps are heat and distortion generators requiring constant babying and attention, while my SS amp was been operating for 15 years without even replacing a fuse - so there!

I'll put my SS amps against whatever tube amps you have, in any performance category! Name it!

----------------

True sorry too much caffeine... Make ya talk crazy can I take back the part about eating undies....

I like some solid state and your right they are not all created equal. Some tubes sound like crap some solid state sounds like crap but what can I say I'm just biased like so many others here. I just love tubes on klipsch but I'll take the chance to listen to any gear solid state or tube just bring it over we'll have a blast!

A friend is going to let me borrow his NAD amplifier very soon and can't wait to see how it sounds as I have heard very good things about them. I want to try it on my passive subwoofer but while I have it I want to hear it on my Belles. What amps do you have? Should the NAD sound ok with my george wright preamp? I forgot to ask if it was an integrated model.

DrBill

Sorry about highjacking your thread.

I found an old rca othophonic speaker cabinet and console this weekend. They looked pretty cool and was thinking of picking up the speaker cab to use as a table but the console has a stereo tube amplifier in it. I couldn't see well enough to make a judgement on tube type or condition but are these amps worth saving as I could get the whole thing for $30.... The amps would obviously need alot of work and there is some amazing talent on this forum. Do you do this sort of work or do you like to do it as a hobby?

I don't agree with much on this thread either. Good SS is wonderful. Just because a person is "set up" to repair tubed gear, doesn't mean SS is less than stellar. Hmmm, I wonder what broad, sweeping statement I can come up with?

1.gif

"Do you do this sort of work or do you like to do it as a hobby?"

Seti,

RE: RCA. I have only a vague recollection of it. For $30 you could hardly go wrong. As a last resort, you could hatch eggs in it!

It was supposed to be a cottage industry after my retirement. The other "Dr. R" didn't want me slouching about the house. I'm about a grand away from break-even, so, yes. It is a hobby! There is enough local work (Ft. Worth-Dallas) to avoid the hassle of S/H. There are several guys on the forum who actually have going businesses in vacuum tube restoration and maintenance. I have been very careful not to create the impression that I am competing with them in any way. I'm only too glad to answer any questions you might have. Spend the $30. You might be in for the time of your life!

DR BILL

JPM,

All three kids, one after another, worked at McDonalds. Almost every Friday night someone would come in and try to order a Whopper or a tub of wings and legs. It was the wrong place. On the door of one of the quacks I visit it says "practice limited to orthopedic surgery". I wouldn't get hot if he refused to give me an eye exam.

Do you sort of see where I am going with this?

Thanks.

DR BILL

Anybody remember Margaret Rutherford in "The Mouse that Roared"? If so, I DECLARE THIS BRIDGE IS CLOSED!

Anyway, I've got a MARSHALL out on the bench crying for me. The Brits do schematics in entirely their own way, but let's don't start something else just now!

DR BILL3.gif

----------------

On 6/6/2005 10:59:13 AM jpm wrote:

Hmmm, I wonder what broad, sweeping statement I can come up with?

----------------

I saw a broad sweeping cement the other day. Is that close enough?

I can understand where you're coming from Dr Bill. You work on what you like to work on and there is nothing wrong with that. Congrats on being a super dad and helping even though its not your favorite line.

But i sure am glad that not all folks feel the same way you do. I sure would hate to lose my vintage SS techs.

Some people i know would much rather work on a vintage ss piece than anything.

Good luck and happy listening.

1.gif