ebay 'second chance'?

Gang, just got this email on a ebay auction I lost:

Dear colterphoto,

*** Do not respond to this message.Contact the seller at this email address : smksalesco@aol.com *** You expressed your interest in an item titled "KLIPSCH LaScala" (Item #5776106555) by bidding,however the auction has ended with another eBay member as the high bidder.In compliance with eBay's Policy,the seller of that item is making this Offer to you at your bid price of US $805.00.The seller has issued this Offer because either the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction or the seller has duplicate items for sale.If you accept this offer,you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and you will be eligible for eBay Services associated with a transaction,such as Fraud Protection.To purchase this item,do not reply to this mail,just contact the seller at : smksalesco@aol.com *** Do not respond to this message.Contact the seller at this email address : smksalesco@aol.com ***

EDIT

oops, second paragraph failed to post,

This is FRAUD OFFER. I was the 5th buyer in line and another FOrum member was second. We both received these notices and he (I'll let him reveal himself if he wants to add detail) contacted both buyer and seller, who both confirmed that they were going through with a bona fide ebay transaction. Therefore, whoever is sending out these SECOND CHANCE offers is committing fraud and trying to get excited buyers to deposit funds in cash equivalents to p.o. boxes, etc. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS, IT IS A TRAP. Ebay has been notified of this activity.

Has anyone out there been stung by this?

Michael

I got the same message Michael!

*** Do not respond to this message.Contact the seller at this email address : smksalesco@aol.com *** You expressed your interest in an item titled "KLIPSCH LaScala" (Item #5776106555) by bidding,however the auction has ended with another eBay member as the high bidder.In compliance with eBay's Policy,the seller of that item is making this Offer to you at your bid price of US (XXXX) The seller has issued this Offer because either the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction or the seller has duplicate items for sale.If you accept this offer,you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and you will be eligible for eBay Services associated with a transaction,such as Fraud Protection.To purchase this item,do not reply to this mail,just contact the seller at : smksalesco@aol.com *** Do not respond to this message.Contact the seller at this email address : smksalesco@aol.com ***

Please respond to the question on eBay by clicking the button below.

Thank you,

princedeneufchatel

======================================================================

Run do not even consider this... I thought we talked about this scam?

Unless the seller edhale1 contacts you.... email him through ebay... ask to speak to him.... phone number address... Remember too. These were pick up only, why is there any discussion for delivery here?

Mike, if your doing this to prove a point.. Buyer beware! I already reported this scam to ebay too!!!!

I get them all the time. I've probably reported 15 or more fraudulent emails from ebay posers. I highly doubt any have been caught however.14.gif Not always second chance offers either. Once someone actually stole my account and had his sellers fees charged to it. Ebay promptly refunded me the money. It must be pretty damn easy to be an ebay ripoff artist.

This was before the 'big trip'

I did check with the seller and the buyer...Both said they wanted the sale..

I got 3 second chance offers like this on this one sale.. Guys this is a scam...

Be careful out there... These were a very clean pair of pro La Scalas that would of made any of us proud. As it turns out, La Scala wise.... I got 4 tops 4 bottoms Colterphoto1 got 2 bottoms. They were all mint too just a little church dust..LOL.. It was a long drive to FL from Indianapolis, but money saved, time spent with a friend to talk, bs, and have fun... Priceless!

Michael I literally got hit almost twenty times in the last week with this scam on guitars I have bidded on. All scams of course. I get this crap so often it's nutz. I report every stinking one of them to. So yeah it happens to me all the time.

Something like that happened to me too.

The follow up was an offer to sell at way below the final bid which had not reached reserve. There was some link to special instructions, which I did not go to; with a claim that e-bay had failed to update some e-mail address. Then there was a second follow up much like the first.

Too fishy. What ever the electronic transaction was to be, it must have been the equivalent of mailing gold coin to an address in the third-world.

I contacted the real seller by telephone and e-Bay fraud dept.

"Be careful out there" as the old TV program said.

Gil

I've also received many telling me that my account has been compromised. I usually receive one after I ask the seller a question about an item that is too good to be true. (ie: a $30,000 speaker with no reserve and $1 starting bid.)

Obviously one has to be careful but I can relate a positive experience on a second chance offer:

I had bid on a 2 record set of Dave Brubeck at Carnegie Hall and lost by U$ 1.00.

The seller contacted me the next day and said he had another copy that he would sell me at my bid price. I went for it and began to smell a skunk when my album did not arrive in the expected time. I emailed the seller who apologised profusely stating that my copy had been shipped as promised and said he would send another copy by airmail at no extra charge! His only request was that I send back the original order at my cost shuld it arrive.

True to his word I got my copy a week or so later by airmail and there was no extra cost. The original shipment never did come and I would likely have not sent it back anyway but simply paid him for it as that LP is so good I would want to keep a copy in reserve or give as a gift to another LP freak I know.

it's all haywire, i bid on some shorthorns, an lost to a zero feedback bidder, an got 7 second chance offers ,an the the zero bidder backed out, an the real seller contacted me ,but it gets so convoluted, an intricate labyrinth of refined phraseology,you just say the hell with it

Any second chance offer you receive on a 'big ticket' item you bid on is a likely scam. Do your homework first!

Always communicate with the seller through the email shell provided on ebay. Use the 'Ask seller a question' link listed under the 'Seller information' area on the original auction page, you can't go wrong. If you're asked to contact the seller via any different means (email address not listed in ebay), beware.

If you are asked to pay for the auction via Western Union to an address not listed in the seller's profile, or to any different location (overseas), don't. Western Union payments are nearly impossible to recoup, once it's gone, it's gone. You can always file a police report if it will make you feel better, but that's about all you can do about it.

Caveat Emptor.

I distinctly remember another forum member here losing over 1 grand by responding to a fake 'second chance offer'.