I think I scared off a newbie! Sorry

Recently a person on here had a huge commercial system he bought? At first, I thought it was a joke, or a kid bragging. Looking at how it was written, he kept saying one thing then said something else..

So I called him on it.. He said he would post pics a week later I waited a week and still no pics.. This was a k 535 system probably 7-10k for TWO speakers... I can't imagine it in a medium sized room, so I started to ask Questions.. Like we all would. (This system is for a movie theater... Not really home use.. My own HT is almost as big as his supposedly big room I was thinking way overkill... )

As it would happen, sometimes were wrong on here and he did order it.. So here was a legit "newbie" and I am afraid I scared him off. I am sorry. We all could have learned from this I guess on why he chose such a system.

That said, I still would have questioned him, just maybe a little tamer... The thread is now gone, so my appologies to Trey and Amy, especially the new guy if I went to far. Personally I thought I was ok, but appearantly I went a little far.

I mean heck, come on the board..I have this blah blah blah... Don't you think your going to get some feedback??? Especially with a HUGE commercial system in your house?

I am under some stress trying to get my HT done.

I just wanted to be sure were still friends?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I re-read that whole thread before it was pulled and it was rather insane the way we all(me too) asked him to post pictures. Every other post right from the start had some comment about posting pictures. The guy was probably already a bit put off by that. Particularly for a new memeber, he probably was thinking, "shut up you all, can't I just talk about my gear!"

Had I been in Klipsch shoes, I'm not so sure I would have banned the guy based on his response to you. Heck he just gave Klipsch more money in a day than most of us have given them in, well, ever!

Don't stop there! Give yourselves (PLURAL!) more credit!

...or how stupid he was for buying speakers he had not first heard!(As if no one here has purchased any gear based on other's recommendations without hearing them first!) ...Or that the speakers were too large for his room (how many here have far too many LaScalas or KHorns for their 12x15 room!?) And we have far too many here who brag about listening to whatever crap they listen to at 130dB! Or have $400, $500, ...$1000 interconnects! Or $15,000 turntables to listen to a 1973 pressing of Helen Reddy's greatest hit. And claim they can hear secret nuances! All the while it's simply the voices in their head!

And lets not forget the erudite hourly debates of so many who still find a challenge in whining about cables, Bose, Monster, and the myriad other inane things that pass for quasi-literacy regarding things audio or, heaven forbid, acoustics! ...Yet whine about that fisiks and cyphering stuff!

Yep, take a bow! You guys definately earned it!

Gloves off? how about brains off!

Oh, and to add..."a HUGE commercial system"...while the primary difference is the mid and HF driver, while many here talk of adding JBL 2404H HF units that have the capability of acting as a weed eater to those listening (not that there would be any noticeable damage done to many listening if they were to lose tissue from the neck up!)... Or for those with HOW MANY KHorns and LaScalas and subwoofers in their itty bitty apartments!? Overkill!? Yeah, complain about HIM!

"Banned him"??????? He bailed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Problem was I signed off.. I have no idea what he even said.. Or others said?

If you do, do not post it here... PM me if you remember it please..

He was 39 years old, lived in FL, bragged about his gear.. said do not ask about cables..or other equipment, so I didn't... Although that is a silly request really you have to admit... said it was, "A personal descision and rightfully so..." (I think were his words.) So I never asked him about it.

What I wanted to ask was why these speakers...in a room not that much larger than mine?? That are commonly used in a really big theater?? Not for home use.. Did you buy other speakers, too, for HT, or just these for stereo?

He contradicted himself all over the place too. I may have been one to ask too many questions, but other than calling on him to prove it with pics.... I do not think I was over the line at all?

That's part of the problem with the net BB sometimes, you can't see the reaction on the other side? All of us on here, well probably 99% of us, are more than happy to talk about our equipment and why we chose what we chose. That's how at least I learned from sharing and asking questions. What I guess happened was after I signed off, it got ugly. (And I am not sure how?) I was unable to respond to a few posts, the thread was deleted, and we lost a new person on the board.

The whole thing seems strange...

I mean drool factor yes... You gotta admit!

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=504

But for your house?

Heck, he just gave Klipsch more money in a day than most of us have given them in, well, ever!

=========================================================

Man, I wish that was true..LOL.. I bought my K horns (before ebay 1989- 1990..) thx amp and thx speakers at the dealer late 2004.. Among other Klipsch speakers, too, at retail.. I think Klipsch is pretty comfortable with my purchases.. LOL Thank you!!! Just too afraid to actually count them all up!

Here ya go Jordan.. Will this do?

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=504

Last time I checked...

None of us builds or calls our HT room as quoted from the info on this BB wording which "allows for more real estate where it mattersin the auditorium."

Auditorium... Thats a pretty big home... Home Theater!!

I was skeptical too and I don't think you crossed the line either...heck, at worst it sounded like you were just giving the guy a hard time (a techy dude without a digital camera). 2.gif

The reason this piece of "pro" gear wouldn't work at home is because it's just too tall. Those dual woofers are playing up to 400Hz, so there's a good portion of localizeable sound that will be blasting out at your feet up to ear level...then you've got the tweeter all they way up to 7 feet in the air. Even with my chorusII's which are half as tall, I can still hear the different frequencies coming from different heights. Heck, the height difference between the woofer and the tweeter in the Chorus is more like 18 inches...so like 1/4 the difference. Of course the farther back you sit the less of an issue it is, but I don't think 20 feet is far enough away. On top of it all, you're going to have nasty early reflections from both the cieling and the floor (just think, the cieling is only 1 or 3 feet above the speaker). Looking at the specs, I don't think the polar response is that great either (it's quoted as +- 30 degrees, not a big deal in the theatre, but a big deal in the home where the reflected sound contributes a lot to the sound)

Nevertheless, I've never heard the system in a home so I can't say it wouldn't work well. Heck, I think we can all come up with flaws for every speaker that we feel sounds good.

I'm curious though as to why a klipsch employee would recommend it.

People always like to see pictures, even though one set of speakers of the same model aren't all that different from the next. It's more of how they are set up in the room, I guess. There are hundreds of requests for pictures on the forum, and that is no way shorthand for We don't believe you.

Roger never called the guy a liar, he just expressed skepticism, and even stated that if he turned out to be wrong he would apologize.

That said, I don't really believe that Roger is building a HT 2.gif

Scott:

We can all be cynical.

That said, if Trey or Amy still have his email address, is it Possible for them to contact him and let him know of a mistake?

If there is a contradiction, most would question. But the right thing has been done, you've proven that you will state when wrong.

Maybe another chance can be had.

Paul, like always, speaks so eloquently too.

Hey, come on over anytime! I have a few things you can help me on too Paul!!! Anyone in Indy wanna help as well PM me, your more than welcome to see the process/ progress and I might hand you a hammer, or drill or paintbrush too!!

Seven (7) I know someone had to do it.. Split La Scalas, with the Klipsch Sub Amp and the Two (2) Klipsch THX Subs.. Is just gonna be incredible.

If this is NOT a Klipsch showcase room, I do not know what is?

Amp here below.

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=743

And 2 subs here below.

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=742

I just got the call from the dry wall contractor. Dry wall starts monday 13th of June! Wooo hoooo

• Moderators

I will email the ex-forum member (he did ask to be removed because he felt he was being attacked) and make him aware of this thread. I had deleted the previous thread at his request, however, Trey had put it back again in an effort to let all of you know what happened and to ask that it please don't happen again. As soon as he posted that, we instantly had a few forum members attack the people involved in the original perceived "attack," and frankly, it was ridiculous. Trey deleted it again.

Bottom line is, I think it's ok to be a bit skeptical, but let's treat someone as if they are telling the truth, unless it's a physically impossible claim or proven otherwise, ok?

And, as always, keep name-calling off the board. You know who you are.

As a new member, I was asked to post pictures of the speakers I bought just last week, and I too felt like I was "being called". I then realized that it's just part of the drool factor to see everyone's system.

So why didn't I post my pics? Well, it's only because I am embarrased that I have to keep them in the garage while my wife and I figure out some decorating arrangements and I stop adding to this new collection.

I'm sure the poster will read this thread and join again......

I don't own commercial-type speakers, but I'm sure that people who have seen what I have (K-horns) think I've gone way beyond overkill. What's that joke from George Carlin about people driving faster than you being maniacs and people driving slower than you being...something else???

I may also be considered a "techie" by some (and a photo buff at that) and I don't own a digital camera (although it's on my list). Sometimes I think people tend to think that everyone believes/thinks (should think, should do) like they do. We're all different and think differently despite having audio and Klipsch speakers in particular as a common link.

I can fully agree with the guy's comment on not wanting to discuss electronics or cables since he believes it's a personal choice. Just look at the ridiculous posts regarding SET/PP amps. He probably didn't want get another one of those started. There is no single right answer for everyone despite what some people claim.

Why does anyone have to prove what they own?