Brand New La Scalas

jpm

I'm considering a new in the box set of La Scalas to replace my RF7s. Room is 16 X 20 with 8' ceilings. 1/2 of one long wall open to kitchen. All cedar room with lots of leather furniture, throw rugs on hardwoods and a long wall of cloth curtains one side. The RF7s sound great, but I keep thinking the La Scalas would really be the bomb. I listen to jazz, blues, and a lot of rock. All volume levels, but loud when the old blister is gone. Running Rega amp, BBE 482i processor, Rega preamp, Rega CDP. No sub, and I don't want one. The 7s have plenty of bass, especially with the BBE. I keep hearing that the La Scalas are bass weak, but I find that hard to believe.

I AM BUYING NEW -- PERIOD

I DON'T WANT USED

My dealer will give me the full $2000 I paid for the 7s towards the La Scalas. So I'd have to pony up another $2000. That's fine by me... I'm gainfully employed with no wife.

So, if y'all have the time and energy, any thoughts?

I have loved my RF-7s, and especially with the right equipment and Dean's mod, I think that they are great speakers. I have been one of the RF-7 defenders (and faithful).

BUT.......

The way my Belles are set up now - they are in a different league from my RF-7s. That is not to denigrate my RF-7s in any manner. After listening to my Belles and various nice LaScalas and Klipshorns, I have just concluded that the big Heritage three are in a different league. So, I would jump on the opportunity, if I were you.

That being said, it would certainly help you to listen to a pair in advance.

Carl.

----------------

On 6/15/2005 2:49:49 PM jpm wrote:

I AM BUYING NEW -- PERIOD

I DON'T WANT USED

My dealer will give me the full $2000 I paid for the 7s towards the La Scalas. So I'd have to pony up another $2000. That's fine by me... I'm gainfully employed with no wife.

So, if y'all have the time and energy, any thoughts?
----------------

Way to go. Support the troops. Trey, Amy and the folks in Hope will thank you. And you'll get that fresh cut lumber smell when they arrive.

Say HELLO! to dynamic range and overall clarity. The main thing that horns do is IMPACT.

A fully horn loaded loudspeaker is going to excel in dynamics and a "there-it-is" kind of definition that cone speakers (in general) lack. I've yet to hear a cone speaker previde the sense of "realism" that quality horn rigs are able to present. The cones' attack (can I say sonic "edge"?) is just not there.

However, the bass horn of the LS low frequency cutoff is 70HZ, so be advised that for lower bass, another solution will be in order. Most use a subwoofer to handle that task.

Another aspect is that the LS's are going to be a bit shorter in height, I think - that will also effect the listening experience a bit for you until you adjust to it.

DM

I auditioned them yesterday in my dealer's showroom. He has the full line. In fact, Klipsch is all he sells. No other speaker. Been that way for over 50 years. Bry's in Marysville, WA. Indeed the LaScalas do have a different sound than the 7's. Hard to describe.

I went from KLF 20s to 2004 La Scalas and they sound great! I have never heard RF 7s so I cannot compare them to new La Scalas. I think Cal is right the La Scalas will probably not be a huge improvement but maybe a small improvement, no improvement, or won't sound as good as the RF 7s. Then again to you they may sound much better than the RF 7s it's all up to the person, you could like the new La Scalas and your best friend likes the RF 7s. My living room is 15 X 15 X 8 and they have no problem with bass for music. I don't listen to much classical so I don't need deep rumbling bass. If you plan to use them in home theater then you will need a sub or maybe not. For music they will do fine they have a tight, fast bass that you really feel. People will tell you the KHOrn or Cornwall have lower bass and they are right they do but I just like the bass the La Scala has, it's all personal choice. You may also have to try different equipment with the La Scalas or what you have may work perfect with them. I would love to find someone in the Austin area with RF 7s and do a comparision between the speakers with my gear and their gear. Also would like to get my La Scalas in a bigger living room. If you have the money and are willing to try them go for it. Two things that made My La Scalas started to sound better: one after they broke in and two I also would suggest making risers(7-10 inches high) that makes a big impact on their sound. When you are used to having the horns at ear level then having the midrange and tweeter horns below ear level can sound very bright. The risers brings the horns back up to the level you would be used to. Good luck with your choice both speakers are excellent choices.

Xman

i purchased a pair of mint 1984 raw birch la scala's about a month ago. i had a bad tweeter so i got bob crites to replace diaphrams in both. mine came with AL cross over networks which seemed ok but i went a head and purchased rebuilt AA networks also. the only think i have to compare them to is cornwall's, pioneer cs 99a's, JBL jubal's. personally, i dont think they are weak on bass, just differant. ive never heard khorns or belles but the lascala mid range is the best ive ever heard, PERIOD. if you have the room, i dont think you will be disappointed.

----------------

On 6/15/2005 3:26:45 PM jbsl wrote:

I also would suggest making risers(7-10 inches high) that makes a big impact on their sound. When you are used to having the horns at ear level then having the midrange and tweeter horns below ear level can sound very bright.

Xman

----------------

not to throw the thread off topic, but your risers are 7-10 inches high? you must be really tall for that to be at ear level!

i use a regular table chair positioned in the sweet spot, and being 5'11", 2-4 inches would bring the tweeter directly with my ears.

for now, since i don't have extra plywood laying around, i just used a 3/4" thick piece of wood to angle the speekers upward. the slope they're on now seems to bring the tweeter to my ear.

7-10 inches seems like a lot, but i'm willing to give it a try if you can get into detail a bit more about it.

-------

as for the upgrade from rf-7's to la scalas, as people have repeatedly stated before, it's more of a sound change than an upgrade. i went from rf3's to la scalas and at first i had a really hard time accepting the fact that it wasn't as big of an improvement as i thought it would be. now i definitely had things working against me, such as my source, old crossover, and roomsize. the latter two shouldn't be a problem for you. my crossover upgrade should commence within the next week or so, and be completed a few days after the parts arrive. i will let you know my new impressions after that is complete. it might help you with your decision.

- "A fully horn loaded loudspeaker is going to excel in dynamics and a "there-it-is" kind of definition that cone speakers (in general) lack. I've yet to hear a cone speaker previde the sense of "realism" that quality horn rigs are able to present."

My thoughts exactly. The biggest impact, as far as i'm concerned, is the horn-loaded midrange. That, to me, is what really gives you the LIVE-IN-THE-ROOM sound that I've yet to hear duplicated by a cone.

On the flip side, in comparison to the La Scalas, the 7s will dig down so low you'd swear you had a hole all the way through to China.

-H2G

Buying a La Scala is a no brainer. RF-7's are nice, BUT...

I am sending my Klipsch dealerman here in Australia to the Indy thing. I've worded him up and he promises to get all the gen for me. I can hardly wait. But I think you should, jpm.

Tofu I'm 6'1 but when I sit on my couch my ear level is around 42-44 inches. The top of the La Scalas are around 35 inches so the tweeter was at my upper chest lower neck and the midrange horn was level with my lower chest. To my ears this caused the speakers to be very harsh cause the midrange horn was firing so far below my ears. The tweeters an inch and half below the top and the center of the midrange horn is about 6-8 below the top(guessing). So my risers are almost 7 inches high that puts the tweeter just a little above my ears and the center of the midrange horn level with my mouth. This really helped with the harshness, and they had better detail and bass. The KHorn is around 52 inches so I could raise the horns on the La Scalas up another 8 inches and have them close to the hieght of the KHorns. I am going to experiement and raise my La Scalas up to about 48-50 inches. Also remember if your room is big enough that you can put your couch back far enough you will be on a better level with the La Scalas horns and may not have to use risers but even then they might sound better with the LS on risers that raise their horns to the same height as the KHorns. I sit about 9 feet from the LS so raising them really improved the sound. Once I raise the speakers another 6-8 inches I'll post what I think. I do want to know what's up with the rumors about the Heritage line. Have to wait.

Xman

Tofu I made the risers by cutting two by fours into 2 foot sections took 4 of those and made a square covered it with 3/4 inch plywood also 2 feet by 2 feet and braced the inside with somemore two by fours. The side with the plywood is up. I bought more plywood so I can adjust the height of the speakers up and down. I'm thinking about making risers that would be 13-15 inches and raise the LS to almost the KHorn height. There was a post about a bass bin for the LS that added lower bass and raised them in height. I'll see if I can find the post.

Xman