Apparently many agree: Home Theater Rules!

picky

I've never been one for opinion polls but, .......

73% of those polled prefer to watch movies at home rather than in a theater by a wide margin.

http://www.ipsos-na.com/news/client/act_dsp_pdf.cfm?name=mr050614-4toplinerevised.pdf&id=2712

I also read in a supporting article that I can't seem to relocate that 2005 is turning out to be one of the poorest showings at the box office in over 20 years. Some of the reasons named by the srticle:

People feel movies are getting worse.

It's cheaper to rent or watch at home.

Gas prices.

No crowds.

Blah, blah, blah

Etc.

Hopefully, one of the better ideas I've heard for a while, that of a service that allows the download (or at least viewing) of new releases to a receiver in your home, will not be too far off.

I'm sure theater owners will have a fit over it, but it is a good point that not everyone has convenient access to a first run screen.

Of course, for it to be an option in my home, it would have to offer at least Dolby 5.1; HD would be great, but I could settle for comparable-to-DVD bitrates in 480P.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 6/17/2005 6:29:12 PM picky wrote:

I've never been one for opinion polls but, .......

73% of those polled prefer to watch movies at home rather than in a theater by a wide margin.

I also read in a supporting article that I can't seem to relocate that 2005 is turning out to be one of the poorest showings at the box office in over 20 years. Some of the reasons named by the srticle:

People feel movies are getting worse.

It's cheaper to rent or watch at home.

Gas prices.

No crowds.

Blah, blah, blah

Etc.

----------------

I can give you a great reason why:

House of Wax

Best,

George

----------------

On 6/17/2005 9:15:41 PM fastlane wrote:

Admission $8.50

Popcorn $4.50

Coke $4.50

These numbers are probably conservative, but consider this or renting the DVD for $3.99 it's a no-brainer.

----------------

You could friggan buy the DVD, and most likely still come out ahead.

One of my friends from work wanted to go see that new Star Wars movie, and asked me if I wanted to go also. I paid for a ticket ($8.50), and a nachos and large coke (nearly $10). Figure around $15 for most DVD's (maybe $20 at the more expensive places, such as Sun Coast Video in the mall), and still come out ahead. Not to mention the quality of the experience was just so much better in my own home theater.

I saw last Star Wars as a 'matinee' I think with drink and popcorn it was $14 for one person. Yes some movies look great on the humongoscreen, but I don't care for the 20 minutes of ads and the dust/dirt on NEW movies.

I listened intently for the surround effects and found that they the definition and directionality was much better in my home theatre. I'll be staying in from now on.

However, the drive-ins' are an American Experience. Go to one before they're all closed.

Michael

...I Think Everyone With Klipsch ..

......................Should Go Home Theatre...

like the Lady i bought the $ 400 Cornwalls from......

" we have Home Theatre now, these take up too much room"

...9.gif .....9.gif

..( be sure to give me your ph. #, when you are ready to sell your "stuff")

...............9.gif ...............

i understand from a friend, that the ticket price basically pays for the cost of the Movie rental ...

the profit on Concessions gotta cover Everything Else ...8.gif

you know , those pesky things like cost of the building, wages, utilities ....

so ... i guess the price of popcorn won't be going down ....7.gif

we do have a local theatre that we frequent in the winter ..it's reasonable

mostly we do the Drive-In ..

the few times we have driven the 68 miles to Rochester, NY, for say, a premier

Big Dissapointment ..

everyone uses the Theatre as a babysitter..

noisy, crowed, loud, expensive

Say, at one, i think the Regal ..some girl Knifed another, over some trivial matter ..

no wonder people stay home ...!

I have to agree, and the hardware shows it..teensy speakers with teensy sound, and one horribly distorted subwoofer...all about special effects, not music. I was lucky to see Ben Hur in one of the last CinemaScope theatres. I like the 'art' houses; they enforce R ratings, have steep enough ticket prices to keep out most of the hoi polloi, and usually have gourmet snacks and depending on liquor laws, beer and wine. Unfortunatly art houses are getting rarer these days, rents going up and the ease of find obscure titles by Netflix. The last film I saw in a theatre was Return Of The King, and it had been a year before that (Two Towers) since I'd set foot in one of the mediocre multiplexes here.

This weekend we have, thanks to Netflix, Firefly episodes and tonight will unwind to MST3K ripping "I Accuse My Parents".

----------------

On 6/18/2005 9:30:35 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

However, the drive-ins' are an American Experience. Go to one before they're all closed.

Michael

----------------

True. We have lucky to have one just west of Waukesha WI. We take the whole family a few times a summer. Its great, they have a playground the kids play in before the show. No babysitter costs... It's all good.

Otherwise, the HT is the way to go. Especially for us guys lucky enough to be running Heritage HTs1.gif

JM

----------------

On 6/18/2005 11:10:25 AM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

i understand from a friend, that the ticket price basically pays for the cost of the Movie rental ...

the profit on Concessions gotta cover Everything Else ...
8.gif

you know , those pesky things like cost of the building, wages, utilities ....

so ... i guess the price of popcorn won't be going down ....
7.gif

we do have a local theatre that we frequent in the winter ..it's reasonable

mostly we do the Drive-In ..

the few times we have driven the 68 miles to Rochester, NY, for say, a premier

Big Dissapointment ..

everyone uses the Theatre as a babysitter..

noisy, crowed, loud, expensive

Say, at one, i think the Regal ..some girl Knifed another, over some trivial matter ..

no wonder people stay home ...!

----------------

The Cinema, Buffalo Road in Gates, NY. Face slashed several times with a straight razor.

Another time off-duty Officer working Security was hurt.

Huge parking lots where there's no problem vandalizing a car, or stealing it.

If that happens to you in a mall, theater parking lot, store parking lot - NOT meant to cause anyone to sue the owners, but subpoena the outside lot Security tape. It's amazing how often no-one reviews them or some Officers don't think to look at them.

Most think they're at home or THEIR ticket price allows them to talk, rustle candy wrappers or let their kids run around.

Someone ought to teach those Parents manners.

No drive in movies here in New Orleans....

Too Dayum hot and Muggy...plus it could rain...argggggggggg

Movie theater prices too high versus buying new or used DVD...

snack prices ridiculus high that do not wanna buy any...

Seats stink...

Floors sticky

Garbage everywhere

Loud people talking through movie...

Sound stinks....(my local theaters...some are good but not worth the crowd)

Line to get ticket...line to get seats...

Parking....arggggggg traffic when over...

All the teens hanging around waiting for something to happen

No wonder they are marketing movies more towards younger crowd as they are the only ones willing to go...as they are dieing to get out of house away from mom and dad.....hehehe

I believe most theaters have decent sound, it is just too loud! Last few movies I have seen were way too loud and almost hurt your ears. They must think the louder the sound, the better the movie? Theaters are paying big bucks for sound systems and trashing the experience with too much volume. I stay home and rent now.

• Moderators

I will not go to the show,crowds,people dont stop talking,price.

And i am sure it has went down hill in the last bunch of years.

To give you an idea how long it has been for me, the last movie i went to see was comeing to america with eddie murphy that was many years ago.

On 6/18/2005 8:42:53 PM ygmn wrote:

No drive in movies here in New Orleans....

Too Dayum hot and Muggy...plus it could rain...argggggggggg

Hey, I'm a former N'awlinin myself...did you ever go to the Prytania in its heydey? That was an art theatre! I have lost track of its current status, it has opened & closed so many times. I go back to N.O. several times a year...

The last time I ventured into a theater was 1-1/2 years ago to see the final episode of LOTR. Please correct me if I am wrong, I believe that was 'Return of the King'.

Although, I thought the movie itself was very good, it was 3-and-a-half hours of TOTAL AGONY! It was a 9 PM show. The image was out-of-focus, the sound was too low, cell phones continued to ring along with the ensuing conversations, and some, freaking, little unchaperoned, 10-year-old b**turd discovered that he could make his chair squeak loudly and then chose to do so for nearly 3 hours!

THAT'S IT!! I AM DONE!!!

Other articles I have read:

It is true that theaters only make a profit due to concessions. As others have mentioned here; the gate only covers the film rental.

Also: George Lucas said he still feels that there will always be a place for movie theaters because not everyone wants to build one in their home or can't. But he went on to say that he wants to see movies released on DVD at the same time they are released to movie house. -WORKS FOR ME!!!!!

There is also a lot of talk about direct-marketing in the consumer channel. Select a movie, even one that is first run: pay the rental fee, download it and view it immediately during a given period or for so many showings. A higher fee would be paid if you want to purchase the movie.

It's a great time to be alive! 2.gif

I have trouble hearing what's said at the movies, and feel like I am missing the enjoyment!

plus the prices, as others have said drive me away.

Our Keasotes theater is a Lowe's chain, but they don't have Klipsch speakers-(like the Lowe's do!)............

I like being able to Pause the movie, do whatever I need, and then restart when ever I want! JMHO.

----------------

On 6/19/2005 9:30:02 AM kriscad wrote:

Netflix is the main reason why we don't goto the movies anymore... i'd rather just be able to watch a movie on my on time.... and always have 2-3 watch.

----------------

Amen, netflix rocks. Except when my wife reorgs the que and puts in all excersize vids.

JM