Apparently many agree: Home Theater Rules!

picky

We've never done much renting from video stores and we've not tried NetFlix yet, although some of our friends say they love it (NetFlix).

Many of our friends LOVE to bring their own movies over to watch them in our theater: A bonus for us.

We like to buy from the "Reduced" bin at whatever store when we see a "keeper" in there. But, we mainly watch what's on (Comcast) cable, especially the HD channels. We also like View-On-Demand. And, sometimes we use the Pay-Per-View to see more recent movies.

I have also bought a few D-VHS movies so we can view them on our JVC recorder in HD with 6.1 surround. They are very impressive! It's all good.

Colterphoto1 said, "However, the drive-ins' are an American Experience. Go to one before they're all closed."

Hmm I went to a lot of drive in movies in HS... Some how with a van, I didn't see too many movies though... Guess all that "hot steamy action" fogged up my windows? LOL

We used to enjoy going to the movies to get out of the house and to relax for a while but over the last year we have found:

1 Parents taking children to movies they have no business watching so the kids get restless, run through the aisles, talk, cry, kick the back of your seat all with the parent ignoring the problems.

2 Cell phones not turned off and ring with ensuing conversations. People have no curtsey anymore.

3 People talking during the show and giving away the plot to their friends OH here is where the hero kills the bad guy but he really isnt dead, he gets away and fights the hero again in 15 minutes!

4 Broken seats and reclining seats that are impossible to sit upright in.

5 Some showings that are played TOO LOUD! Now I like a loud movie but when I have a headache after the show, that is not enjoyable.

6 Itty bitty marques that force you to park the car and walk up to the ticket booth just to see what times the movies are playing. They do this so you feel you HAVE to go see something now that you are out of the car, for me this is a turn off and we drive away from most theaters that do this.

7 ½ hour of coming attractions of course this is helpful when standing inline to get refreshments and the pimple faced kid behind the counter is having trouble counting your change for a $24.95 bill and you paid with a twenty and a five!

8 Having to hold it for the last ½ hour of the movie as the drinks are making their desire to leave your body more and more known. At home, you pause the movie, do your business, back the film up a minute or so and start playing again.

9 High cost of taking 2 to 3 people to even the matinee showing. With refreshments and admission, you are talking $35 to $45 for the privilege to endure the above!

We now buy the DVDs at the rental store when they are selling off excess stock. We pay $25 for 3 movies with a 1 year guarantee on the disc.

This is why we have an all Heritage Klipsch sound system and installed a projector and now have a 100 inch screen. The movies are much more enjoyable.

2.gif

Actually the cineplex/galaxy near my house has state of the art digital dlp projection and a pretty decent sound system. it's too loud, but the only distortion i heard was in the extreme low end, and a slight rolloff on the extreme high end. actually, the other cinema has the same projection and is thx certified! so it's a pretty good show for 9 bucks canadian

I'm not sure renting or buying a DVD is cheaper when you factor in buying the Klipschorns, but who's counting...

For me, I can't even see hollywood productions locally unless I watch the translated to french version. Yuck.

The sound was decent in the Theater that myself and the wife saw SW EPIII in, but I thought it was strange there were no speakers behind me. There was three pairs of surrounds placed a distance apart from one another but all forward of my listening position. I did not see anything in the far rear. The theater had stadium type seating so you don't have to try and see the screen with some guy's big melon blocking the view.

They did have it cranked up pretty good but it did not have the level of intricate detail that my HT has. I can't wait until EPIII is out on DVD, best of all I get to drink beer and watch. I loved the theaters in Europe, full bars! Large reclining seats, little tables in front of you for your drink and muchies, even a little lamp - talk about classy!

----------------

On 6/19/2005 7:26:15 AM boom3 wrote:

On 6/18/2005 8:42:53 PM ygmn wrote:

Hey, I'm a former N'awlinin myself...did you ever go to the Prytania in its heydey? That was an art theatre! I have lost track of its current status, it has opened & closed so many times. I go back to N.O. several times a year...

----------------

Still open....

Down the road from a friend of mine....

They are showing some main stream movies now...

....benefits of Home Theater. .

" Close-Caption for the Hearing Impaired "...which is me !

Plus, I love the extra features on the making of the movies and those directors commentary's.

* These all definitely out-weigh any trip to the movie theater !! *