Power outage: Blown surge supressor for HT

MrMcGoo

High winds set records locally with 77 mph gusts. Many large trees came down on power lines.

My breaker for the 20 amp circuit to my home theater was tripped. It reset, but tripped again the moment I switched my Panamax 4400 to on. I moved all power cords to my Panamax 5100. All equipment survived except the 4400 which protected all 4 of my amps.

The big question is do I get a replacement under warranty or do I get a series type 20 amp surge protector? I like the Panamax feature the shuts the system down at about 138 volts. Supressors let such voltages through and do not clamp till 330 volts or more.

Bill

Bill: I am sorry for your misfortune, but it appears your Panamax did its job: It sacrificed itself in order to save your equipment. A great testimony to answer the question: "Are Line conditioners worth all the hype?" In this case: HELL YES! Thanks for sharing, Bill! 2.gif

I live near Spokane Washington. We live in a pine forrest on Long Lake. Big trees put many lines down. Live 440 volt (or higher?) lines were sparking on the ground and on a metal roof.

When Avista re-energized the line a day later, they started a small forrest fire near my home. There is nothing like a little excitement from a fire in a pine forest around your home.

I have to admit that I was very relieved that all of my amps and other gear came up flawlessly except the Panamax. The Panamax 4400 is a 20 amp model designed specifically to protect amps and not limit their power in any way under a normal load.

Bill

I too use a Panamax 5100 and it serves me well. My amps pull too much current turning on sometimes and it trips the ground fault and I have to unplug it and replug it in to reset it.

I love the trigger feature, I turn on my preamp, it turns on the 5100 and everything else. Sweet.

The Panamax 4400 allegedly uses capacitors for protection. I opened the box and there was not much of anything in there.

I have decided to switch brands. The Panamaxes died too easily IMO. The new equipment measures both voltage and amperage. My whole system at idle draws 4.2 amps for three huge transformers plus several smaller power supplies.

Bill

Well, I'm back up and running. sound quality has improved. There are many additional detaled background sounds that have reappeared.

Minn_male_42 was always against MOV base surge supressors. His complaint was that they wear out too soon. Add to that the fact that they gradually deteriorate over time and degrade sound quality! It has happened with two Panamaxes in a row.

Other MOV based supressors down line have not been affected. Apparently, they have been protected by the first unit in the series.

If you do buy a MOV based supressor, the higher the joule rating the longer it is likely to last.

Bill