People of Faith

Deang

Remember folks, the original concept of freedom of religion arose from a desire for freedom FROM religion.

I respect everyone's right to believe anything they want, but if you feel the need to discuss religion, find a religion forum and spare the rest of us.

This is not the place.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Matthew Henry:

"Those who faithfully deliver the Lord's message to sinners, have in all ages been treated as madmen. Their judgment, speech, and conduct are contrary to those of other men; they endure much in pursuit of objects, and are influenced by motives, into which the others cannot enter. But above all, the charge is brought by the worldly and ungodly of all sorts, who are mad indeed; while the principles and practice of the devoted servants of God, prove to be wise and reasonable."

Why Allan, I am duly impressed, and will consider that the greatest compliment ever given to me.

----------------

On 6/23/2005 5:27:39 PM DeanG wrote:

From Matthew Henry:

"Those who faithfully deliver the Lord's message to sinners, have in all ages been treated as madmen. Their judgment, speech, and conduct are contrary to those of other men; they endure much in pursuit of objects, and are influenced by motives, into which the others cannot enter. But above all, the charge is brought by the worldly and ungodly of all sorts, who are mad indeed; while the principles and practice of the devoted servants of God, prove to be wise and reasonable."

Why Allan, I am duly impressed, and will consider that the greatest compliment ever given to me.

----------------

Yeah..but it's BY a believer and FOR a believer.

Logic fans go wild...

Lord, make me a channel of thy peace--that where there is hatred, I may bring love--that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness--that where there is discord, I may bring harmony--that where there is error, I may bring truth--that where there is doubt, I may bring faith--that where there is despair, I may bring hope--that where there are shadows, I may bring light--that where there is sadness, I may bring joy. Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted--to understand, than to be understood--to love, than to be loved. For it is by self-forgetting that one finds. It is by forgiving that one is forgiven. It is by dying that one awakens to eternal life. Amen

Let's get back to the beginning, let's focus on the fact that a forummember asked us to just for a little while put our thoughts to something worthwhile whatever/whoever it is. Whether we point our thoughts, prayers, meditation or action towards it is of lesser importance, I may be corrected. The group we are should help eachother out in every which way we are capable of! The initial favour asked was IMHO a little one, not necessary to debate anything else. But, I may stand corrected, only by the one who asked. Tim.

Dear Freak, I know it's not warranted but I will pray that the Lord will soften your heart. It seems that you feel strongly against prayer.Too many people these days go by their so called "logic" instead of seeking direction from the Lord. It is good to use your brain but by the same token we did not give our own selves life nor can we pretend we are the experts either. I know that there is power in prayer and my friend I will leave you with that.

----------------

On 6/23/2005 5:45:37 PM bigrol21 wrote:

Dear Freak, I know it's not warranted but I will pray that the Lord will soften your heart. It seems that you feel strongly against prayer.Too many people these days go by their so called "logic" instead of seeking direction from the Lord. It is good to use your brain but by the same token we did not give our own selves life nor can we pretend we are the experts either. I know that there is power in prayer and my friend I will leave you with that.

----------------

I think that was directed to me. I don't agree with you. Attempts to convince me otherwise annoy and offend me as much as someone telling me that SET is wrong - a topic, by the way, which is far more appropriate on this forum.

I agree that this discussion was not Dean's original intent. Sorry for contributing to the mess! With that, I will wish any forum member in distress well, and exit this thread.

----------------

On 6/23/2005 5:27:08 PM jheis wrote:

Remember folks, the original concept of freedom of religion arose from a desire for freedom FROM religion.

I respect everyone's right to believe anything they want, but if you feel the need to discuss religion, find a religion forum and spare the rest of us.

This is not the place.

----------------

Why are you even reading this thread jheis?

um a wich ya Deno!9.gif

Disgusting. Someone is drowning. We argue about whether we should throw the orange life preserver or the white one. Or perhaps if the victim isn't of the same idiology as we are, should we bother at all!? Or worse, if the person who spotted the drowning person isn't of the same metaphysical construct as we, can we just dismiss the whole thing as a great inconvenience?

The SOS was issued to PERSONS OF FAITH. The rest of you can go to STARBUCKS and hope you are never in dire need. Not that we wouldn't give you the same attention. But you would have to suffer the humiliation of accepting it.

Was this the appropriate place to issue this request? Back in the golden days of radio, right in the last moments of the Lone Ranger, a somber voice would break in and say, "We interrupt this program for an important announcement. "A child has been lost . . .".

DR BILL

----------------

On 6/23/2005 6:06:58 PM DRBILL wrote:

Disgusting. Someone is drowning. We argue about whether we should throw the orange life preserver or the white one. Or perhaps if the victim isn't of the same idiology as we are, should we bother at all!? Or worse, if the person who spotted the drowning person isn't of the same metaphysical construct as we, can we just dismiss the whole thing as a great inconvenience?

The SOS was issued to PERSONS OF FAITH. The rest of you can go to STARBUCKS and hope you are never in dire need. Not that we wouldn't give you the same attention. But you would have to suffer the humiliation of accepting it.

Was this the appropriate place to issue this request? Back in the golden days of radio, right in the last moments of the Loan Ranger, a somber voice would break in and say, "We interrupt this program for an important announcement. "A child has been lost . . .".

DR BILL

----------------

Well, I guess what I meant when I said that I would exit the thread would be that I would stop discussing issues regarding religion and religious beliefs.

I think your painting those comments that disagree with your beliefs with broad strokes, Dr. Bill. There is a difference between deciding which life preserver to throw and saying that one shouldn't be thrown at all.

I did not mean to offend you Freak! lol...seriously, you obviously feel very strongly against this topic and I am glad you have stuck around enough to read the threads. Again, I love reading the threads in the Forum and learn lots from everybody. I know that we are ultimatley here to help each other out and that's why I initially chimmed in. That's why we signed up for this right? I meant my last post to be compassionate not offensive. But I stick to my faith and walk and my identity is in Him all else is just details and obstacles through which I get to excercise my faith. Lighten up.