People of Faith

Deang

As a person without faith in the supernatural, I still want to send well wishings to any forum member in need, or their friends and/or family. I was taken a bit off guard by Dean's request, but I took no offense.

On the other hand, some of the more enthusiastic defender's of Dean's original post are not being fair. I'm sure Dean was sincere (hence no offense taken), but he could just as easiy have asked for best wishes from all. That would have been more inclusive to all well meaning forum members, and would obviously have included prayers from people of faith. We all care about other forum members, and I wouldn't doubt if some people felt excluded (even though it was inadvertent) from this most human of activities; I don't think it's appropriate for some non DeanG zealots to say those people are "arguing over whether to throw a life preserver to a drowning person". I, for one, don't want my tidings for those in need discredited due to my lack of belief any more than a Hindu or Muslim would want theirs discredited because of their differing faiths.

Apologies to Dean: I hope for nothing but the best for you and yours.

Scott

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like out of Political Correctness, maybe Political-Religious Correctness, some here are equating Christianity with Islam, as if one is as valid as the other.

Also, there is only one God. Individuals don't each get a God of their own.

What is human warfare but just this; an effort to make the laws of God and nature take sides with one party.

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.

----------------

On 6/23/2005 7:38:57 PM Parrot wrote:

It looks like out of Political Correctness, maybe Political-Religious Correctness, some here are equating Christianity with Islam, as if one is as valid as the other.

Also, there is only one God. Individuals don't each get a God of their own.----------------

I didn't see that.

----------------

On 6/23/2005 7:43:50 PM coda wrote:

What is human warfare but just this; an effort to make the laws of God and nature take sides with one party.

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.

----------------

Be glad you live in a more or less free country. If you were living in pre-war Afghanistan, under Taliban rule, and were caught listening to music, you would be given a beating like you've never dreamed of.

Don't forget to thank the terrorists. If they hadn't flown those jets into the WTC on 9/11 the Taliban would still be in charge. In fact, we'd be giving them MONEY and LOTS OF IT for keeping a lid on opium production.

END THIS THREAD NOW!!!

----------------

On 6/23/2005 8:16:57 PM Allan Songer wrote:

TIME OUT!

TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER, GO TO YOUR HIFI AND PLAY THIS RECORD
LOUD!!

----------------

Or, if you have SET amps, go to your hifi and play this record soft.

----------------

On 6/23/2005 8:20:59 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Don't forget to thank the terrorists. If they hadn't flown those jets into the WTC on 9/11 the Taliban would still be in charge. In fact, we'd be giving them MONEY and LOTS OF IT for keeping a lid on opium production.

----------------

As long as there is a demand for drugs, there will be a supplier. If opium isn't produced in Afghanistan, it'll be produced somewhere else. If you want to solve the drug problem, you aren't going to do it by arresting suppliers; there will always be new ones. What's needed is for drug users to be taught how stupid they are.

Religion, politics, and SET amps all in the same thread! Is this a great forum or what?

----------------

On 6/23/2005 4:17:31 PM DeanG wrote:

Oh no, the post was serious. I wouldn't do something like that unless it was.

The comment about shutting the thread before Fini shows up is an inside joke. It always seems that Fini gets the last post before Amy finds and kills it.

Meuge, when I said you've never "healed" anyone, I was trying to say that you are an agent of the healing process -- you don't do the actual healing. You guys do incredible things, but without the internal mechanisms in place that allow healing to take place -- you wouldn't be able to do anything. I shouldn't have made the comment, it was inappropriate anyways. The point of the thread was not to start a religious debate, but simply the fastest way I could think of to pull everyone of like mind together. If I offended anyone, I'm sorry.

----------------

Dean, I'm in. I DO know what you are talking about. We ARE like-minded, and never hesitate to ask me. No need to be sorry.

TC

And Awaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy we go!....As Usual!

As always this type of religio-political thread has people throwing mud at each other. In other words as always this thread has gone in the usual direction....SIDEWAYS!

FWIW I do hope that if one of our members is in some sort of serious trouble he or she will come through it well. Is there some way that those of us who are neither religious nor especially political might be able to be of help?

For my part I don't give a damn about any of the differences,(save one), that exist between people in terms of political belief,religious belief,place of origin,skin colour,ethnic origin,place of residence,sexual orientation etc.

The one thing I do give a damn about is the individual's attitude toward his fellow human beings.If that person is decent toward other human beings on the basis of "The Golden Rule" and to hell with any so-called higher duty he or she might feel pulled toward...That person gets my friendship and respect.... Wherever they live or come from.. ( Although I have to admit that Plutonians sometimes stretch my tolerance...I can't say why other than they have an annoying habit of showing up when I miss my meds ).

Please stop. Anyone that has a problem with this is free to not come into the thread and post. For cry'in out loud, do you send a letter to NBC, CBS, ABC, etc. everytime they air something offensive to you? Move on and go to a different channel. There is nothing to debate here -- it's rude and insensitive to someone who needs our support. If you can't say something nice or supportive, just shut the hell up.

Dean:

Congrats on your boldness. Congrats to everyone else for not making this thread a groaning melee'. It is refreshing to hear someone stand up for their faith, and others, while not particularly joined in that faith but another commonality, can move ahead with reasonable dialogue that is not hateful or hurting.

Dean's intents were certainly not to preach, but to raise awareness for another person in need, and I applaud him for that. Salt and light, indeed...

Chris

----------------

On 6/23/2005 9:20:30 PM popbumper wrote:

Dean:

Congrats on your boldness. Congrats to everyone else for not making this thread a groaning melee'. It is refreshing to hear someone stand up for their faith, and others, while not particularly joined in that faith but another commonality, can move ahead with reasonable dialogue that is not hateful or hurting.

Dean's intents were certainly not to preach, but to raise awareness for another person in need, and I applaud him for that. Salt and light, indeed...

Chris
----------------

It seems like you missed page 3.