The Case Against Bo$e

OK, some friends and I were having arguements over quality of Bo$e in comparison with others. So, the reasonable steps we took were to take some of our own respective stuff and to compare them all. So we got one guy's Bo$e acoustic wave system, my pair of RF-7's, a pair of paradigm monitor 11's. The Bo$e guy started all of this with his claim that his little 1.5 x 1.5 x 2 foot box put out bigger better quality sound than me or my frineds paradigms. So we put all of these in my HT room and hooked em up with each of our own recievers (mine is a Denon AVR-3805, paradigms were with Denon 2805, but also tried them with my 3805) and set them to each of our respective preferences and listened. Now, we each had our own opinions, mine being that the Paradigm and RF-7's sounded fantastic, but I just didnt like the Bo$e. Its just wasnt quite as powerful or commanding as the RF-7 or Paradigms. Of course this Bo$e guy was loving his Acoustic wave system and kept saying " Its smaller but sounds just as good as your big Floorstanders. I'm just looking for some technical ammo to back up my opinions when I see him next. I dunno, in my mind, there wassnt even competition, but I have nothing to argue with him about except with my opinions. Can anyone give me some technical dirt on Bo$e??

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not worth it. If he claims not to hear a difference, he's obviously lying and doesn't want to admit he blew a ton of cash on a system that sounds like crap compared to yours and your friend's. Size DOES matter but pride (or deafness) comes into play in these situations sometimes. Just let it go. BO$E won't give specs so you'll never win this battle. Just let him know you're happy to have your Klipsch and glad he's happy with the little wussy cubes his wife made him buy.2.gif

FWIW

BOSE is considered by a large enough portion of the population as the ultimate in sound production to have become the standard against which all others must be measured.

Clever marketing combined with the fact that BOSE systems really do sound much better than what the average consumer is accustomed to hearing has resulted in the BOSE name becoming synonymus with the ultimate in sound for many people.

Another aspect of Bose's success is the lack of the fiddle factor.In other words the customer need only walk into a BOSE store and having heard the few systems recommended decide which is the best BOSE system they can afford from a limited number of options... and make their choice.

The marketing gets them into the store....The sound is incredible compared to anything they have experienced... and If they have ever known an audiofreak with his bewidering stacks of equipment and numerous room consuming speakers it is easy for them to having heard the BOSE ( in an optimised space )to believe that they are getting the best dollar value albeit at a huge premium over the cost of inferior systems that they have heard at other dealers.

In addition of course Bose systems have the advantage of their cubes + subwoofer system which essentially means that one can have a nice sounding music setup which is for all intents invisible.

I hate to admit that I recently heard a BOSE system that sounded decent but when the proud owner told me what it cost him I could only congratulate him on getting a nice sounding system.

My system featuring a pair of 1982 Khorns cost me a lot less and sounds a lot more real.That said my friend enjoys his BOSE system and the bragging rights that come with it.

It's really sad that Bose has aimed their marketing strategy at the less well informed. And to rub salt into the wound, charge these poor people an arm and a leg over what they should pay. Outright sound quality for many of these Bose systems are actually okay for el-cheapo all-in-one systems. But compared with what should be their natural opposition being Sony/Panasonic type entry level systems, they are WAY over priced.

----------------

On 6/25/2005 11:23:20 PM edwinr wrote:

It's really sad that Bose has aimed their marketing strategy at the less well informed. And to rub salt into the wound, charge these poor people an arm and a leg over what they should pay. Outright sound quality for many of these Bose systems are actually okay for el-cheapo all-in-one systems. But compared with what should be their natural opposition being Sony/Panasonic type entry level systems, they are WAY over priced.

----------------

well arent they pretty much the only speaker company that markets speakers of that size? i'm sure if another known brand starts putting attractive mini-speakers in stores they'll get some good sales

You lieing needelnecks know nothing crackers always badmouthing and dissing da Bose. .. .. I am sick . .. . I love my Lifestyles and ain't talkin no condom-minimums honeys. . . there is good reasons da Bose is NUMBER one in worldsale speakers . . . not just you're minis or biggs ....... lifestyle sez everything because everything is life that isn't dead and dead is gone . ...... tens of hundred thousand units made in red China by democrats now or in future not in your future but maybe best speaker any . ..

Well I was enjoying this for the most part untill T3K added his somewhat....enlightening......comments, I guess Im just a stupid cracker that is imagining that his RF-7 denon combo is WAY better than a bo$e system. Sure. I have found that in many cases, bo$e is preferred over a traditional setup, but my better half luckily understands and preferrs a real soundsystem, so when I asked her if she wanted a small system in the living room, she asked if it would sound like the system that I had been drooling over at the Klipsch dealer. Obviously, no. I think I got myself a good one. (Wife and System)9.gif

Just like to add that I think my promedia ultra 5.1 system on my computer sounds 10 times better than that bo$e garbage. Also it was like 1/4 as much money, so im my mind, noone that knows anything about real sound would go with that bo$e junk for 4 times as much money.