OT .What's a Dynamotor?

thebes

Ran across this listing in the local craigslist and was curious as to what the heck he's talking about.

"Dynamotor, a big one! 28VDC input, 600VDC out (if I remember correctly). Mounted on original base and in very nice condition. 1940's. No sensitive transistors to fail in this thing :-) $10"

Besides the DC to AC mentioned, before solid state frequency changers were available, dynamotors, sometimes called motor-generators, were used to convert 60 Hz to 400 Hz for aircraft and ship use. These were still in use in the 80s because they were pretty reliable.

Yes DRBILL, some of us got the hash remark! In-line inductors were often used to control the noise placed on the AC line by the dynamotor, hence called hash filters.

Also motor-generators are still used on some plants where power to something is so important that even a brief power failure while a separate power source is brought on line cannot be tolerated. In one case I am very familiar with at a Nuclear Plant, a motor-generator is used to provide power to the reactor control rod mechanisms. The motor-generator has a flywheel weighing several tons. Even with loss of drive power, the flywheel keeps the generator going for long enough to get alternate power on line.

Bob

----------------

On 6/30/2005 3:04:12 PM BEC wrote:

Also motor-generators are still used on some plants where power to something is so important that even a brief power failure while a separate power source is brought on line cannot be tolerated. In one case I am very familiar with at a Nuclear Plant, a motor-generator is used to provide power to the reactor control rod mechanisms. The motor-generator has a flywheel weighing several tons. Even with loss of drive power, the flywheel keeps the generator going for long enough to get alternate power on line.

Bob

----------------

Like the Nuke plant in your backyard that gives me the creeps whenever I go past it for some reason that song duck and cover goes through my head everytime I see it. Nice to know about the safeguards.

Wow, that was fast!

Sounds like a pretty interesting gizmo, but given my penchant for electrifying myself, I'd better stay away. The main reason I asked is for some reason that term, dynamotor (not dynamo) seemed very familiar to me.

Thanks guys.

----------------

On 6/30/2005 3:58:38 PM seti wrote:

----------------

On 6/30/2005 3:04:12 PM BEC wrote:

Bob

----------------

Like the Nuke plant in your backyard that gives me the creeps whenever I go past it for some reason that song duck and cover goes through my head everytime I see it. Nice to know about the safeguards.

----------------

seti,

Don't worry about that nuclear plant in my backyard. I have laid my hands on almost every part of it and tested it all over and over. Now some of my younger kin-folks are keeping it in shape for us. I wonder if they are still using the procedure I wrote for freeing a stuck reactor control rod by "vibrating the rod casing with a 2000 gram mass" (rapping the sucker with a 5 pound hammer).

Bob

----------------

On 6/30/2005 8:17:06 PM scriven wrote:

Bob,

2000 grams would be a 4.4 pound hammer.

----------------

Mis-typed. Should have been rounded off to a 5 pound hammer.

Bob

----------------

On 6/30/2005 10:57:24 PM BEC wrote:

Dean,

It is bad form to use the word "critical" to a guy on top of the reactor head trying to get a control rod un-stuck with a hammer.

Bob

----------------

ROFL

critical or oops

Well I feel better about it already~! As long as they have the hammer situation straight.