QSC PLX 1202 AMP hooked up - Thanks Dean

I don't have time to write a review, but I received my QSC amp and soldered up some cables and listened for a while last night.

Immediate impression - much more bass out of the K Horn and CLEAR CLEAR CLEAR. Great separation and imaging an did I mention CLEAR!! Wow, what a great (And Inexpensive!!) amp.

Thanks for the reccomendation Dean.

I just need to get the Behringer DEQ 2496 dialed in and I am set.

By the way, if anyone is in doubt, K Horns LOVE dynamic headroom much more than you think.

Chris

PS: Did I say that the QSC is CLEAR!!

LOL, I dig the sound with that thing too. A lot of clarity with the QSC, but it doesn't fatique the ears or make you want to grind your teeth like a lot of solid state I've heard. It doesn't layer the sound or expand the image as good as some of the better tube gear, but with a little bit of juice you don't care. I had no problem lighting up the clipping meters, and it was still so clean that if wasn't for the meters, I wouldn't have known. The K-33's are surprising, and will suck up the power like a black hole. The horns didn't seem to get any louder than with my 60wpc Quicksilvers. BTW, the recommendation came via Trey Cannon.

----------------

On 7/1/2005 12:52:19 PM Speedball wrote:

What model QSC is it? Affordable is good.
12.gif
----------------

Speedball,

I have a line on a second amp. I may be able to let you have a new QSC 1202 (used for two hours) for $500 plus shipping. I think that the 6 year warranty is transferable too. Online the best that you will see is $600.

Chris

Have to admit - still been thinking about this amp based on Dean's recommendation and now Tigerkhorns' experience. My tube amps are going nowhere, but it would be interesting to run this amp on a Niles switcher for my mains when I am in the mood for some extra volume. However, have to watch it a bit with my setup because would not want to fry that little ole light bulb (DHAs). Gee, that means I just might have to break down and buy a set of Al's extreme slopes. 6.gif But, I bet the Altecs would still take it, even now...... Ahhh, too many amps - too little time.

Dean, you said you had your 1602 in the clipping lights - that's too funny and why am I not surprised.....from one volume junkie to another.

As a reminder to all, the 1202 is 200 watts per, and the 1602 is 300 watts per. Either one would do Heritage justice. Chris, if you end up making yours available and Speedball does not want it, let me know. PM or e-mail me.

Carl.

Trey Cannon begged me to listen to the Mackies I have with the La Scalas too..

OMG fantastic...I have 2 of these amps.

http://mackie.com/products/m800/index.html

800 watts @ 4 ohms bridged

550 watts @ 8 ohms bridged

400 + 400 watts @ 2 ohms stereo

275 + 275 watts @ 4 ohms stereo

175 + 175 watts @ 8 ohms stereo

Ultra-low-noise/ low-distortion design

Fast Recovery circuitry reduces distortion at the edge of clipping and beyond

Two 2nd order, 12dB/octave, Bessel low-cut filters with variable frequency from Off to 170Hz help optimize bass output of your sound system

Constant directivity horn EQ/Air EQ with variable frequency from 2k to 6kHz and on/off switch

Limiter with On/Off switch (decreases distortion that may become present when the M800 is driven at max levels without affecting overall sound levels)

XLR thru outputs

1/4" jacks and 5-way binding post outputs

Detented gain controls calibrated in dB & volts

Signal present and OL LEDs

Channel Status LEDs

Easily handles 2-ohm loads all night long

Superior T-Design cooling

5-year transferrable Limited Warranty

Get a great pre amp processor and almost forget it. Pro amps will run cool all day, be silent as all get out, and NO hiss, no distortion, I love it too.. Gretest might be the dynamics.. Just unbeleieveable. hehehehehehe Oh, the things you can learn form a Lab Techie!!!!

Klipsch uses QSC in their labs all day... Never any problems at all. Makes you wonder? I think they are on to something here.

----------------

On 7/1/2005 1:50:10 PM DeanG wrote:

Yep, there's fan "noise". This is not the amp for those who like to kick back with a glass of wine.
----------------

Dean,

I have mine in a stereo cabnet (open front and back). I was surprised that the fan was relatively quiet (but of course not silent). I guess that after what I had read, I was expecting it to be loud (more like a computer) I read about changing it out with a more quiet fan, but will use the unit more before doing so.

However, you do hear it between songs, no doubt about it. I am also sitting about 17 feet from the stereo cabnet.

If you do a search here on the forum using "qsc" you will hit a thread on the quieter fans, but I could not find a source for any of them on the internet. Some guys on Audiogon disconnect the fan on their Carver units, but I am afraid to do that.

Chris

lol

I've got my crown xls 404 tucked into my cabinet with the door shut and you can still hear the fan (it's quieter than me pc as well). It is white noise so it's easy to tune it out, except during short quiet passages inbetween loud passages (cuz then you're not hearing it all the time and so it doesn't get tuned out). If I wasn't moving out to go to college, I would have already installed the amp in the basement and ran the wires up through the wall 2.gif

I think I remember klipsch using crest amps in their facility as well as QSC. Mackie amps are always a bit more expensive but they really do sound amazing. One of my favorite PA's was using mackie amps and it totally sounded like a home theatre - man it was great.

The debate with me is I like the Aragon Pre Amp (Stage One) we heard at the Klipsch pilgramage. I would of course have to buy more Mackie...(hehehehe) but I bet would still be cheaper than say a 2007 Amp new too!

Then again... maybe the dream pre amp cause I would be saving so much the McIntosh Mx 135?? hehehehehe

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=15&cat=&prodid=1095&product=MX135

If I could rationalise this one.. I could be PT Barnum!!!

----------------

On 7/1/2005 2:06:09 PM DrWho wrote:

lol

I've got my crown xls 404 tucked into my cabinet with the door shut and you can still hear the fan (it's quieter than me pc as well). It is white noise so it's easy to tune it out, except during short quiet passages inbetween loud passages (cuz then you're not hearing it all the time and so it doesn't get tuned out). If I wasn't moving out to go to college, I would have already installed the amp in the basement and ran the wires up through the wall
2.gif

I think I remember klipsch using crest amps in their facility as well as QSC. Mackie amps are always a bit more expensive but they really do sound amazing. One of my favorite PA's was using mackie amps and it totally sounded like a home theatre - man it was great.
----------------

Maybe the noise will start to drive me crazy. I only listened for a few hours.

Anyone know where to get a low noise 24 volt 80MM x 80MM fan for one of these? Most fans out threre are 12v.

Chris

There are a bunch of fans which will work.

Two are: Panaflo FBA08A24L, and SanyoDenki 109RO824H402.

QSC seems to say that these will be OK for home use--but if the amp goes to any besides home use the original fan should be put back in, for safety and to meet UL standards.

If you can find any used SRA series QSC these were the home version of the PLX with quiet fans installed:

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/sra/sra.htm

But they are no longer made/sold by QSC.

Mark

----------------

On 7/1/2005 3:24:17 PM Rivendell61 wrote:

There are a bunch of fans which will work.

Two are: Panaflo FBA08A24L, and SanyoDenki 109RO824H402.

QSC seems to say that these will be OK for home use--but if the amp goes to any besides home use the original fan should be put back in, for safety and to meet UL standards.

If you can find any used SRA series QSC these were the home version of the PLX with quiet fans installed:

But they are no longer made/sold by QSC.

Mark
----------------

I found several fans that will work here in another thread in the klipsch website. The problem seems to be finding a supplier for the fans. Who sells them?

Chris