Behringer DEQ 2496

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 7/1/2005 7:30:51 PM tigerwoodKhorns wrote:

...I could have spent a fortune and not made this big an improvement.

Chris

----------------

Maybe, but you'll never know how big an improvement a well-built version with quality parts would have made.

Behringer is still the KLH of pro gear, and always will be until they demonstrate a commitment to quality control and R&D (their own, not other peoples')

Something you guys don't seem to understand around here is that pro-level equipment is really not that much different than hifi.

You wouldn't even dream of putting an Audiosource EQ in your system, yet you'll happily put the absolute cheapest of cheap digital EQ and DAC's from the "pro" realm into your chain, thinking that this is the shiznit, but not realizing that there's a very good reason why there are so many far more expensive versions of the same product in that realm.

Why set your sights so low? Because that's all you guys ever hear about from each other. Behringer this, Behringer that, while people who work with this stuff for a living all laugh at Behringer because it, relatively speaking, sounds like dog poop when compared to any real professional equipment...

well ...

i don't hear anyone boasting about thier Behringer Pre-amp, or Power Amp, now do i ...???

said it before ..

Rane, Ashly, .. the way to go ...

ya know, the Rane RA_30, comes with a mike, functions also as a SPL meter, and cost like $200 more ..

don't buy that Expensive X-Over, use the money on the Rane unit , instead ....9.gif

I agree. There are obviously two divergent camps with respect to this unit. On one side, Griff and some others say the unit sounds like "poop" and is the bargain-basement brand of units like its type. Not sure what "poop" exactly means but I assume that it entails adding noise to your system or somehow mudding the existing sound (vs. bypass mode - or with it unhooked completely). Others have found the unit to be helpful, in one respect or the other.

I will concede the second point. The unit is not that expensive compared to other brands, and no - Behringer is not well-known for audiophile or even higher (or mid)-end pro stuff. But the first point I just do not get. I've listened to my system enough over the past year to know what it sounds like - and this unit does not add noise to the system, and the quality of sound does not appear to deteriorate at all - as pointed out in Colin's review. So, yes, maybe there are far superior equalization devices out there that cost more money, but at least in my system, I am not hearing the deterioration in sound that others have noted.

Carl.

I run into the same type of arguments about my vintage DBX "Digital Series" gear from the DBX Consumer Group before they went under in 1989. People seem to want to associate this gear with the Harman International Pro series stuff. DBX consumer put out some of the best processors on the planet!

I think it is comical that most folks put this type of gear down without actually hearing it perform in their system, they just jump on the communal band wagon spouting off about noise and artifacts. I say let them!

Just because it does not cost a bundle does not mean that it isn't any good.

Purists - Hah! Suffer with your FLAT sounding system I say! Yuk!

For me it has always been difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff. In the electronics industry it seems hard to recognize the really good stuff at a reasonable price vs the high priced stuff. Some of the high money goes to name only while some new company building a good value for the money has a hard time "making the grade".

Even if I had money to burn I do not believe I would just automatically buy the highest priced thingey around just for bragging rights.

Plus, take the unit for what it is. I like Colin's comments in his review where he said that the unit should be the final icing on the cake - not the panacea for people whose systems do not sound that good. My system already sounds very, very good, and my room is pretty well treated - so I was not looking for a miracle. For me, its just another toy to play with, so long as it does not negatively impact the overall sound quality to begin with. Most of the time I have not purchased equipment based on their overall price, but usually after hearing a particular piece of equipment for myself. This piece has been an exception (blind purchase) but so far, so good. Maybe I'll change my mind next week and rip it out of my system, but again, so far, so good.

Carl.

I have been holding off on buying my electronic crossover for just this reason. I, for one, do not expect a behringer to sound as good as a BSS, DBX DEQX or even an Ashley unit. I have managed to control the temptation to buy a "starter" model whle saving for one of the "big boys", I was afraid I would be turned off to the whole triamping idea by using a poor quality crossover. these posts tell me I was right. I saved up to buy my favorite compoentns in the past, I think it is valid to do the same with crossovers and equalizers, cheap components often end up in the closet (except the teac and leo´s amps). regards, tony

----------------

On 7/5/2005 8:38:19 AM Klewless wrote:

Even if I had money to burn I do not believe I would just automatically buy the highest priced thingey around just for bragging rights.

----------------

This has nothing to do with bragging rights. No one is telling you to go out and buy a Symetrix Audio Symnet digital crossover system for $30,000 just so you'll have the most expensive toy on the block.

This is about a fundemental and very audible difference in the quality of the DACs and DSPs between the cheapest model on the market and the superior units it attempts to emulate.

Professional engineers laugh at Behringer not because of the name, but because of their consistent failure to put out quality equipment.

----------------

On 7/5/2005 8:19:50 AM cjgeraci wrote:

I agree. There are obviously two divergent camps with respect to this unit. On one side, Griff and some others say the unit sounds like "poop" and is the bargain-basement brand of units like its type. Not sure what "poop" exactly means but I assume that it entails adding noise to your system or somehow mudding the existing sound (vs. bypass mode - or with it unhooked completely).

Carl.

----------------

No, Carl, it's not about adding noise, it's about inferiority vs. other units that perform the same function. Until you've auditioned the other units, you'll never be able to fully appreciate what I'm talking about.

The most consistent analogy I can offer you guys is this...

Behringer in pro electronics is to Rane, Manley Labs, George Massenburg Limited, dBX, QSC, Allen & Heath etc, etc, etc what JVC in speakers is to Klipsch, Lowther, etc, etc, etc.

You all would have a hearty laugh at a guy who was using knock-off Klipschorns constructed of cheap LDF, using cheap drivers and even cheaper crossover networks. He'd swear they sounded way better than the speakers he used to have, and he couldn't understand why you guys were so down on them when they didn't present any (to his ears, and based on his experience) noticable degredation of sound. Having heard the real McCoy, however, you all would know better.

This is absolutely the same situation. Except Dean hasn't heard a digital Xover by a quality company, and neither have the rest of the Behringer owners.

I've heard too many Behringer compressors, DSP units, mixers, amplifiers, speaker systems, etc in action vs their counterparts to even consider employing their garbage in my system.

they meet my personal criteria for the uses I have put them to, i.e. the teac drives my patio speakers and the leok drives my daughter´s bedroom system. both sound great in their applications. They both failed to meet my needs in my main system (where my 2A3 PP amp currently does duty), they sounded good but the 2A3 sounded better.

re: starter stuff...I worked my way up through a chain up amps and found that there was a reason to go for the high-end...I suspect it the same in crossovers and equalizers, there are certainly some great entry level units that provide many of the same features, performance and functionality as the high-end units BUT there are probably gains to be found by going up scale. in the case of crossovers it probably is manifest in noise level and absolute transparency. If someone spends significant bucks on a DAC they probably should expect to spend the same magnitude on crossovers and equalizers IMHO.

regards, tony

Like I said in some of my earlier posts, I was fully expecting to be disappointed as I was hooking it up. I'm sure it's possible that over time, something might come forward that isn't noticed now, but so far it really does seem to be transparent. I'm not one to discount the opinions of those who have more experience with similiar products, and I'm definitely not going to reject the idea that better parts make a difference. However, I do know what sounds good, know what sounds bad, and know how to listen when I drop a new piece of gear into my system. I also know that a well executed circuit will do more than quality of parts alone. You know, it's not all that unusual in this industry to have a manufacturer consistently put forth disappointing products, and then stumble into a winner. Some serious enthusiasts have fully embraced this product, and I don't think that should be discounted either.