Cornwalls for $200 - Boston

jcmjrt

----------------

On 7/5/2005 2:11:52 PM dodger wrote:

If you emailed and left a message stating intent to buy before the higher offer came in, you have a legal leg.

----------------

Rick,

Let me know if you need a good lawyer.2.gif

----------------

If you emailed and left a message stating intent to buy before the higher offer came in, you have a legal leg.

----------------

Dodger, correct me if I'm wrong but the seller is not obligated to sell.

The sellers wording " $200 or BO price." Would be a legal out. Let's face it, a pair of Walnut Corns from the early '70s (pie logo) are worth more than $200. I just offered what it would have cost me to get Royster's Corns here to RI that CP1 has now.

They sure would have been nice for $200 though.15.gif

Rick

----------------

On 7/5/2005 2:16:20 PM psg wrote:

----------------

----------------

Dodger, correct me if I'm wrong but the seller is not obligated to sell.

----------------

This is correct to an extent. He had them advertised OBO (usually meaning if the asking price is not met, that the seller will accept the best offer). This gives a whole new meaning to OBO.

I telephoned and sent an email to him at 7:09 AM today. Received the same email reply as everyone else at 9:18 am;

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 9:18 AM

Subject: Re: Klipsch Cornwall Speakers - $200 and Klipsch Heresy Speakers - $200

OK. Here is where I'm at. I have two sets of Klipsch
speakers for sale - a pair of Cornwalls and a pair of
Heresys. I have obviously underpriced these things
because I have gotten an overwhelming response to
both. In both case I have people offering me more
than my asking price. I am having a hard time
deciding who to pick and I don't want to leave any
money on the table so I am going to let the market
decide.

Here is what I am going to do:
Everyone will have an opportunity to put in an
additional bid. Whoever has the highest bid at 5pm
tomorrow gets the speakers.

Before you bid:
1. Late tonight I will update the listings with more
detail and additional photos so you may want to hold
off on your bid until you see that.
2. Bid on each set of speakers separately.
3. Give me your best offer because I am not going to
extend this beyond tomorrow.
4. Local pickup only by mutually convenient
arrangement. I am not shipping these things.
5. Cash only
6. No phone calls. Email only.

The guy's reply was almost *verbatim* from that I got some years ago from somebody in an upscale Connecticut town offering a pristine Volvo Turbo wagon for sale for only $1500 in the local paper.

The car had a NADA value of roughly $6000 but this guy was selling it for only $1500 or best offer.

Turns out the car got so many "offers" that he wound up selling it for ABOVE the NADA suggested price (for the record, the car was really nice and I placed my bid at 6k but still lost).

In my opinion, it's a wonderful marketing ploy and although the owner of the Cornwalls might not be doing it intentionally, I nevertheless wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

I think he's a smart, savvy seller who knows how to play ball.

Just my two cents.

-H2G

I had something like that happen to me. I was the first person to call the guy, spoke to him and made arrangements to come pick up the item the next day. He called back later saying that he had received higher offers and was giving me a chance to counter since I had called first. I didn't want to get into a bidding war but others did. He sold them for a lot more money than he was originally asking. Very disappointing but what can you do?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you zapper!

people have no sense of right and wrong anymore, what happened to the days when a deal was a deal. i feel for you rick ive been there. i feel differently than some here i say the seller set the price and i agreed to meet that it is a deal, if the seller tries to jack the price up i wont buy his product at any cost after that, i actually had a guy with a car try this on me i left and 3 days later he calls offering it up at the original price. i told him to shove his car something these sellers have forgot (A BIRD IN THE HAND IS WORTH 2 IN THE BUSH) good luck rick i hope you get these if it is what you want10.gif Joe

----------------

----------------

It is not an offer. It's an invitation to make an offer. Besides, you'd have to be REALLY mad or just plain c-r-a-z-y to do anything about anything when your damage is a few hundred dollars.