Best HT Reciever under $500

Spkrdctr

OK, Guys, here is the thread for everyone to post their personal opinions, and WHY they are recommending something.

What is the best brand new HT reciever for $500 or less? and why?

If you need to stretch it to $600 you can.....

This should also be fun and informative to many who post here.

NAD t743 rufurbished from an authorized dealer. Try and get one for 550. I like it for it's sound. It will trounce many mainstream 125 watt per channel BS rated receivers easily. Here is a little something interesting to read.

Greg Stidsen, NAD's director of product development, said the company recently measured a competitor's $1,200 receiver rated at 105 watts into six channels. With the same standards used to measure the T743, says Stidsen, this 105-watt receiver "could only output a rather pathetic 12 watts per channel." Yet this same receiver, says Stidsen, can be advertised as having 630 watts total power (six channels times 105 watts)."

Pioneer VSX-1015TX for $499 at BB or other discount store.

A 120W 7 channel Pioneer Elite in consumer audio clothing, missing only a couple of features of the big brother Elite. (multi-room and RS232 controls.) (Pop the cover it's a VSX52)

All the warm powerful sound of a Pioneer Elite.

MCACC for easy and seamless room balancing.

All the new multi-channel protocols.

Excellent remote

Lots of switching

Buy the previous model 1014 for about $350.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4153_209686388_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent

thanks for this thread... i am in the market for a new receiever and I dont have a lot of money to spend... i was thinking of the Pioneer VSX-1015TX actually so it's good to see that mentioned by at least one person.

My current reciever just isnt cutting it... i just dont hear the kind of detail and effects that I should in these movies... it barley sounds like surrond sound.

----------------

On 7/5/2005 7:07:55 PM psg wrote:

I like h/k for the following reasons:

high-current that can drive low impedences.

very flexible bass management

good build quality

----------------

Can you tell us more about the bass management system? Most recievers give you no bass management in surround sound mode. What does HK offer? Thanks!

On 7/6/2005 9:44:29 PM Spkrdctr wrote:

good build quality

Can you tell us more about the bass management system? Most recievers give you no bass management in surround sound mode. What does HK offer? Thanks!

Really? That's strange...

The h/k receivers let you

set any of main, center, surrounds, rears to large or small (duh).

set the sub to LFE or LFE+R/L to get lows from mains to both sub and mains.

set a different crossover frequency for each of main, center, surrounds, rears.

choose from 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 200Hz (I think, from memory)

set the above settings, as well as speaker levels, differently for each input, and (I think), for each sound type (e.g. DTS handled differently than Dolby Digital)

Yeah, the crossover settings on the HK's are amazing and the main reason I bought one. The AVR 430's and 630's on ebay directly from HK with warranty are a steal and I don't think the new 35 series offer anything notable over the 30's.

----------------

On 7/6/2005 10:09:53 PM psg wrote:

On 7/6/2005 9:44:29 PM Spkrdctr wrote:

good build quality

Really? That's strange...

set the above settings, as well as speaker levels, differently for each input, and (I think), for each sound type (e.g. DTS handled differently than Dolby Digital)

----------------

The same goes for my Yamaha RX-V750. It is driving Fortes and Heresys in a 5.1 config at the moment. Plenty of power to keep even the HI-Volume junkie happy. It has the ability to mix impedence of the speakers from 4 ohms to 16 ohms at the same time so my 4 ohm Forte 1s are running with no problem next to the 8 ohm Heresys.

The YAPO auto setup is easy to use and does a great job of setting the basics such as large/small speaker (depending on the frequencys reproduced) speaker distances, xover freq for the sub, adjusting the volume of each speaker to achieve a ballanced network etc.

It will upconvert any thing you have connected to it to component video so you only need one set of cables to your TV/Projector.

For a lower budget reciever, Yamaha was the way I went. It does everything I need and more.

----------------

On 7/6/2005 10:09:53 PM psg wrote:

----------------

Oh, that stuff. Yes they all pretty much let you do that. I was thinking you had bass control over each speaker, like an EQ or something. So, all of those nice points of HK are true for most others too. Good info though.

I enjoy the response on this topic as many people have limited budgets compared to the Heritage guys, who seem to have cash to burn!

Then there are the "high enders" who have Sunfire, Krell and other exotic stuff. They really make the dough. Must be doctors or business owners!2.gif

Hmm, please tell me what other receivers allow you to set a different crossover point for each set of channels. I think I saw a couple when looking at receivers months ago like the Denons maybe but I can't remember. For most of them the crossover setting you select would only apply for all channels, so you couldn't have your rears at 80hz and your fronts at 40hz for instance. You should have money though, you're a speaker Dr. Oh wait, they don't get paid well do they? nm 2.gif

----------------

On 7/8/2005 12:54:16 AM bytor33 wrote:

Hmm, please tell me what other receivers allow you to set a different crossover point for each set of channels. I think I saw a couple when looking at receivers months ago like the Denons maybe but I can't remember. For most of them the crossover setting you select would only apply for all channels, so you couldn't have your rears at 80hz and your fronts at 40hz for instance. You should have money though, you're a speaker Dr. Oh wait, they don't get paid well do they? nm
2.gif

----------------

Some Sonys' do. Not very well liked though around these parts. Actually Sony started doing this years ago.

----------------

On 7/6/2005 12:37:29 AM bvbull200 wrote:

A little brighter sound, good list of features, I like the Yamaha HTR-5890. If you are an XM fan, it has a built-in XM tuner, which is kinda nice. Usually right around $500 at Best Buy.

----------------

Just received my HTR 5860, last week.. 16.gif

Teamed with my Klipsch, seemed a bit bright to me also.. a couple -Decibles on the treble adj. did the trick for me.

Love the Auto-Setup.. ran it and made a couple small adjustments, to taste, and I'm really enjoyin' the result.

Nice receiver. 1.gif

----------------

On 7/8/2005 12:54:16 AM bytor33 wrote:

You should have money though, you're a speaker Dr. Oh wait, they don't get paid well do they? nm
2.gif

----------------

The above statement is pure wisdom! We just don't get paid enough. Things are improving though. In a few years, I should be able to enjoy some new Premier speakers.1.gif