New in the Box Oak EV Patrician IV's - Wow!

Frzninvt

The guy has two of them - "will discuss price" on the second one.

The Pat IV I had used a T-350 tweeter and sounded very nice, with an incredible low end. It is, after all, a scaled up Klipschorn. The midrange was ok, but just - some kind of odd reflex horn dual driver thing, handing off to a T-25 and E-V's standard 6oo hz plastic horn. I had the feeling it would have sounded much better with a LaScala balanced on top, and just keeping that 18 incher in the bass horn, but since the room I had it in had only eight foot ceilings, that was impractical.

The Pat III I had used the older, narrow slot T-35 and was pretty strident. There's a reason PWK didn't go to the Electro Voice tweeter until the phase-plug was introduced.

Bet this thing mines the five figure range...

----------------

On 7/6/2005 2:46:15 PM CaptnBob wrote:

The midrange was ok, but just - some kind of odd reflex horn dual driver thing.

----------------

So much for it being superior to the Klipschorn. Thanks, CaptnBob.

----------------

On 7/6/2005 4:38:05 PM Parrot wrote:

----------------

On 7/6/2005 2:46:15 PM CaptnBob wrote:

The midrange was ok, but just - some kind of odd reflex horn dual driver thing.

----------------

So much for it being superior to the Klipschorn. Thanks, CaptnBob.

----------------

The base and tweeter were definitely superior.

I thought that the midrange superiority was only an excuse among lower powered SET amps fans.

Are you a low power SET fan, Paul?

----------------

On 7/6/2005 5:03:01 PM Guy Landau wrote:

The base and tweeter were definitely superior.

I thought that the midrange superiority was only an excuse among lower powered SET amps fans.

Are you a low power SET fan, Paul?

----------------

Good one, Guy! The midrange is the single most important area, except maybe for balance across all frequencies. Even if it were true that the bass and highs were better, which I'm not willing to grant, what good would that be with a merely "OK" midrange?

The later Pat IVs did have the T-350 as an option as a tweeter, and some people would consider that better than the T-35/K-77 in the Klipschorn. PWK didn't think so, but that's besides the point. The early, narrow T-35 is pretty edgy.

I'm not saying the Pat IV is a bad speaker - the bass was exceptional and it had a good overall sound, oddball midbass-midrange drivers and all. You could make a persuasive argument that it is among the best - certainly among the most stupendous - speakers ever. I am saying that, except for the very bottom end, most people would probably prefer a Klipschorn.

It would be fun to learn the provenance of these speakers - did they go to the back of the warehouse and get forgotten, or did someone buy them in 1960 without getting proper approval from a spouse, and to insure domestic tranquility, just quietly put them away for a time that never came? Did the owners move to a smaller house and couldn't bear to part with them? Or might they be from the Charles Foster Kane collection, stored just to left of Rosebud?

Another question. You wouldn't buy these without commensurate eletronics, would you? Could there be a set of factory sealed Marantz 2s somewhere in the same estate?

Just something entertaining to think about...

----------------

On 7/6/2005 5:38:54 PM Guy Landau wrote:

Well, You've only heard CaptnBob's opinion. Many others would disagree with him and claim that the Patrician is one of the finest loudspeakers ever made. I haven't heard it myself (and I guess that you didn't hear it too) so I prefer not to speculate.

----------------

These are all valid points. But at least CaptnBob is familiar with both the Khorns and the Pats.

I think what is going on here is similar to the Hartsfield speakers. The "bigger, pricier, rarer" syndrome vs. run-of-the-mill Klipschorns. Contrarians are going to go for the more esoteric.

While I respect people who do not wish to speculate, I do not mind people engaging in it either. It can be fun. You just have to take it for what it is worth, sometimes nothing, sometimes something (if predicated on facts and experience).

Captn Bob, did you find the tone controls to work well?

The Klipschorn is a better package as far as I'm concerned. The appearance alone is timeless in that it is easily seen that the Patrician is from the late 50's or early 60's, where a Khorn cannot be dated by its appearance (condition notwithstanding).

Better approach is to make it timeless rather than attempting to cash in on the "in" decor at the time hwich is always a mistake as far as I am concerned.

But there are "retro"-looks for corner horns and the Vitavox has it there IMO, that is, if that's what you want. The Patrician just looks too dated for my taste.

Performance-wise, I'd probably stay with the Khorn, too.

Sometimes bigger is not always better... Which one of these models is still in production, the Patrician or the Khorn? Where the marketplace is not the best determiner of the worthiness of a particular product, perhaps being the only one left after 40 years is enough to be considered.

DM2.gif

Paul Parrot wrote:

"I think what is going on here is similar to the Hartsfield speakers. The 'bigger, pricier, rarer' syndrome vs. run-of-the-mill Klipschorns. Contrarians are going to go for the more esoteric."

I think this is absolutely on the money. I see the same thing with guitars and guitar amps all the time. There is a certain "gee-whiz" factor about something rare or seldom seen, whether it sounds better or not.

I'm curious how these early Patricians with the 18-inch woofer compared to the later ones with the 30-inch woofer.

And I'll never again be able to see a Patrician without thinking of the PWK anecdote recently recalled by a forum member (hope I've got this right--sorry I don't remember who posted this):

PWK: Do you know what a Patrician is?

FM: An Electro-Voice corner horn licensed by Klipsch.

PWK: No. A Patrician is someone who gets out of the shower to take a pee.

----------------

PWK: No. A Patrician is someone who gets out of the shower to take a pee.

----------------

Greetings,

LOL!!! I've never heard either a K-Horn or Patrician, although I suspect they *both* sound great. Anyway, thanks for the PWK quote!

9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

Take care,

Scott

Below is one of the "ask seller a question" posts. hehehe,

I wonder if Toshio can arrange for local pickup? He is offering $10K to end the auction early.

Q: Hello, I'm great interested in this item. If you might end early, please advise. I will pay US$10,000 for a pair. Sincerely, Toshio/PAL

Jul-06-05

A: Will send Email

Big mistake on the seller's part. A pair of Pat IVs without the oak "shrouds" went a few years ago for $16,000.

I know it's a matter of taste, but in person, the Pats have a sort of funky "Victorian shading into Craftsman" look to them I kinda liked. Of course, it would help if they were in the traditional baronial living room.

I've never heard the Pat 600s, 700s or 800s - the 30" woofer incarnations - but the conventional wisdom is the bass is deeper but not as quick or tight as the Pat IVs.

----------------

On 7/7/2005 10:05:41 AM triceratops wrote:

And I'll never again be able to see a Patrician without thinking of the PWK anecdote recently recalled by a forum member (hope I've got this right--sorry I don't remember who posted this):

PWK: No. A Patrician is someone who gets out of the shower to take a pee.----------------

You got it right. The context of that quip from PWK is contained in the following thread: Speakerlab Stuff The quote's nine frames down.

You can't look at a Patrician without being reminded of the quote; I'm often reminded of the encounter when I shower.

He was a genuine character.