RF7's

WaveMan

I am surprised that nobody has offered another option for "best sounding Klipsch speaker" - modified Belles, LaScalas or Khorns - or does that make them non-Klipsch?

As Amy said, the key is IMO. I hope everybody is here to share ideas and learn from the experiences of others. I know that's why I come to this forum.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 7/10/2005 1:42:55 PM WaveMan wrote:

I never claimed to be a "2-channel guy" as I do own a 5.1 setup which conists of 2 RF7s, 1 RC7, 2 RS7s and one RSW-15....

----------------

I was referring to Mr. Holiday whom I think is a 2 channel person. As edited I mistakenly thought the post was in the 2 channel section. I too am a fan of the RF-7 but I don't have the experience to claim their superiority over certain Heritage models in a side by side comparison. 2.gif

----------------

On 7/10/2005 2:17:16 PM raypenn wrote:

I am surprised that nobody has offered another option for "best sounding Klipsch speaker" - modified Belles, LaScalas or Khorns - or does that make them non-Klipsch?

As Amy said, the key is IMO. I hope everybody is here to share ideas and learn from the experiences of others. I know that's why I come to this forum.
----------------

With that said.. you have to bear in mind what we're discussing here.... Heritage owners love their speakers because they designed just like Concert P.A. speakers - huge bass drivers matched with effecient horn drivers.... In other words, they love Hertiage speakers not because they image well (because they don't), but because they deliver that "Rock Concert"-like performance and can do so with modest power...

Reference 7-series owners like me, have "put our rock&roll days" aside, and now prefer speakers with much more finesse in delivering a "more to pure live" experience... I'm sorry, but when you go to a Rock Concert, you're not listening to "live" music, you're hearing the house P.A. system and guess what? Some of them may be even using Klipsch (or JBL) speakers. So it's no wonder why Hertiage lovers prefer that experience...

However, if you want to recreate a Jazz ensemble in front of you, or listen to studio recordings the way they were meant - with proper imaging and soundstage - then the RF7's are unmatched in the entire Klipsch line-up...

I've owned and heard lots of Klipsch's products, and that is IMO....

Does it really matter what Klipsch product you think is better? I don't. The fact that we all like different Klipsch models is the very reason why Klipsch has built so many during its 60 year existence. So many models to please so many different listener's tastes IMO!

I love my Cornwalls; you love your RF-7s...that's cool; we have our aural opinions and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that. But why does one model have to be better than the other to you? I don't think my Cornwalls are better than the newer Reference or Synergy series horn speakers; they're just different, which is just fine. I've never had the opportunity yet to audition a pair of Reference loudspeakers; someday when I do, I just might enjoy what I hear a whole lot more than what I have heard from my Heritage Cornwalls and buy a pair for myself. Will I dislike my Cornwalls because I now prefer a new Reference model? Hell no! Just because I prefer one Klipsch model over another doesn't mean I now own the best and all other Klipsch models now suck...that's just plain stupid!

I do like what I've heard so far from the latest Synergy models I auditioned at Best Buy awhile ago. For the money these horn speakers sound phenomenal IMO, blowing away their competition at their price-point. Why shouldn't I like how they sound, they're Klipsch designed and engineered for cryin' out loud!

If I bought a pair of F-3s and compared them against my Cornwalls, and I prefered the F-3s overall to the sound of my Cornwalls, then does that automatically make my Cornwalls out to be crap? Nope. Only different. Differences are good, which is why Klipsch builds so many different models. If all Klipsch loudspeakers sounded exactly the same, then there would only be one model to choose from, we'd all hear the same, and we wouldn't even be having this discussion! Just because the venerable Klipschorn is the most expensive doesn't make it the best in my book...it's just a different sound which is pleasing to many Klipsch owners; the same goes for the excellent RF-7, or the KLF-30, or the Belle Klipsch, etc.

Different strokes for different folks. All Klipsch loudspeakers are okay by me!

Just my two cents...5.gif

6.gif Joe Shmoe said: prefer my KLF-30's over the RF-7's, the midrange is smoother.6.gif

I disagree with this, I upgraded from KLF-30s and the RF-7 are definitely smoother, even the rest of the family said they noticed the same thing without me asking them. Mine was a good upgrade to the RF-7s and Im happy. If the dealer doesnt work out a good trade up deal, then stick to your KLF-30s.

It's not just you. I used to own Klipschorn's, now I own 4 RF-7 speakers. Am I happy with my change? Yes I am indeed! The RF-7's are fantastic. RF-7's need a very well setup for you to hear what it truely has to offer and you won't hear it on cheap stuff, so don't be cheap, give these speakers what they deserve and they will give back in 10 folds. If you are set on cheaper equipment, don¡¦t get RF-7¡¦s or you will NEVER hear them at their best!

Now, with that said, it's all subjective to each individual! Some over hype the Heritage line only to disappoint some who go the extra reach to get them and find it wasn¡¦t better than their Reference, only different. It¡¦s harder for some to go from Reference to Heritage because of this different sound. A few very respected people in the audio business that were using Klipshorn¡¦s that now own RF-7¡¦s have written about it and the differences that are a good read, but it has upset some Heritage fans.

The Klipschorn¡¦s are great speakers and I loved mine when I had them, but I¡¦m loving my RF-7¡¦s even more. I love the smoothness, imaging, dimensions, 3D presentation, accurate recreations of acoustics, a resolution from the metal cones that is to die for, and piano, violin, guitar strings, bells, drum rolls, and such sound much more realistic on the RF-7¡¦s, IMO. Again, very SUBJECTIVE to each human.

The RF-7¡¦s are VERY UNDERRATED and most misunderstood by many Klipsch Heritage fans, but don¡¦t let this stop you from your own findings or you could possibly miss out on one of the best sounding speakers out there put out by Klipsch! Again, equipment will play a BIG part on the sound you will get from the RF-7 as it needs QUALITY, QUALITY, QUALITY, even more so than the Heritage did.

Now, before the RF-7¡¦s, did I EVER think I would give up my Klipschorn¡¦s?? No Sir, not on your life! But the RF-7¡¦s changed all that for me. It¡¦s good that Klipsch offers the two choices to let each find what he or she likes better for themselves! Choice is always better than NO CHOICE.

--Yes, I have heard RF-7's. They are a nice product. But they are not in the same league a most of the Heritage line.--

I strongly have a difference with this statement Royster! To you, yes! To me, NO! Again SUBJECTIVE. What works for you, doesn¡¦t work for me. Do you see where this is going?? VERY SUBJECTIVE. They are different sounds, neither is better. However the RF-7 can hold it¡¦s own and it¡¦s very easy to hear this on a very good setup. The Klipschorn or RF-7 are very good, can¡¦t go wrong with either, matter of fact¡K..when have you ever heard a bad sounding Klipsch speaker at that? I don¡¦t think Klipsch has ever put out a bad sounding speaker! Klipsch has always been known for putting out some of the best speakers for the price, meaning you get a lot of speaker for the price. Can¡¦t put down a Klipschorn speaker, can¡¦t put down a RF-7 speaker, both are VERY GOOD! Different is the key word here, not better¡K¡K¡K¡K better is only what YOU like more, not someone else, don¡¦t listen to anyone¡¦s hype, including mine, make your own decision what you like better, that is the one that counts the most, you are the one that will live with your choice for years of enjoyment, make sure you will by happy by your right choice.

One thing to remember too, is that there isn¡¦t a lot of understanding from some about the RF-7¡¦s being that the RF-7¡¦s have a very critical Heritage crowd presence to heed to and that kind of change isn¡¦t easy for years of Heritage users that have been pleased with the Heritage sound. The RF-7¡¦s get hard blows from die hard Heritage fans so you just have to put some things into prospective and finalize your own choice.

Let¡¦s all remember to respect each for what we like, and why we like it, not mine is better than yours, that won¡¦t appreciate the differences, be opened minded!! There is NO bad sounding speaker choice here!!!!!!! Both very good, both hold it¡¦s own.

-- From my understanding the RF-7 was designed mainly for Home Theater--

Tkdamerica, according to Klipsch own advertising:

¡§The RF-7 Reference Series flagship loudspeaker was designed to provide the highest level of two-channel as well as Home Theater¡¨.

I find the RF-7¡¦s are better in my 2-channel setup for music than in Home Theater. Your results my vary. However, my setup is built around 2-channel and NOT home theater. I have a different setup for my Home Theater.

--WaveMan says: However, if you want to recreate a Jazz ensemble in front of you, or listen to studio recordings the way they were meant - with proper imaging and soundstage - then the RF7's are unmatched in the entire Klipsch line-up...

I've owned and heard lots of Klipsch's products, and that is IMO....--

I agree with you, I feel the same way! IMO! It¡¦s good that each Klipsch user is happy with what Klipsch speaker they have! Shows you just how good a company Klipsch is when they can have that strong of a following for all their different lines! º

The RF-7¡¦s are smoother on the ears, that is to my liking, however I can understand how Heritage users get used to that really in your face Heritage sound and goes to the ears in all it¡¦s rawness, that is much like how a concert does but I must admit that sometimes listening to my Klipschorn¡¦s it¡¦s very much really an all out sound that is too big and too much to the ears that I started to notice after going with the RF-7¡¦s but I don¡¦t mean it in a bad way so please relax Klipschorn users! I mean that in the concert sense¡K. Some guys get really excited about the pure rawness of this kind of sound, like at a concert. No doubt the Klipschorn will fill that for sure! The RF-7¡¦s do get LOUD, and very accurate!

Enjoy every one!

There is no ONE perfect loudspeaker system for all of us, heck for any one of us at any given point in time, any more than there is a perfect coffee, cigar, woman, etc. Any of the finer things in life are so very subjective on each of our individual tastes, in fact our taste at the moment.

For that reason I have a Reference setup, All Cornwall HT, and LaScalas for blasting the backyard, etc. (all total 46 speakers in the house).

I wouldn't confine myself to one single speaker system any more than I'd have one brand of coffee in the freezer or one style/flavor of cigar in my humidor.

I suppose I'd be happy with a singular woman if the right one came along...

Michael

I went to a local dealer lately to demo some different Klipsch speakers. Started with the RF-7's, and listened for awhile, then I asked the guy to turn on some used Klipschorns and he gave me this frown. Then he proceeded to tell me why Klipschorns sound like crap and are awful speakers. My mouth dropped open, I turned around, and found another employee to help me.

"For that reason I have a Reference setup, All Cornwall HT, and LaScalas for blasting the backyard, etc. (all total 46 speakers in the house)."

46 friggin speakers all totaled dude that is sic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Next time I make it to Indy ya gotta show me.6.gif

That is a BUNCH of speakers, but better him than me's!! I wouldn't want that many, would be's too confusing, and too much take up space here! 9.gif Maybe a couple of more speaker pair for me but then that's be my limit, or it would's be like a speaker superstore! 6.gif Not to mention more stereo equip to buy! 6.gif

Sounds like it was a lots of fun! Wish I would have gotten the chance for the experience, maybe one day I will get to do that in the future, would be so cool to have an experience like that.

Lucky I'm not 15.gif and lucky you are 1.gif, be glad to hears more about it after the secret silence gate is lifted up. 2.gif

WaveMan, thanks for sharing your opinion with us of what Klipsch Speaker you like best. I for one do care to want to hear your opinion as my own is much like yours. It's good to know other RF-7 users feel because we Reference users gets lots of crap from some Heritage users putting us down as if it's inferior to their Heritage they use. I very much accounts this to them not ever really hearing a good RF-7 before! Cause if one hears, it is no way to say it isn't good like some try to say. Klipsch has always been good, and continues to gets better with keeping the KLIPSCH sound, and staying very dynamic and detailed. 9.gif

well, it's not a HUGE house, but is 3000 ft2 upstairs, 1000ft2 basement, with speakers on back porch, garage, every bedroom, etc. Only three entire HT setups, one in Hearth room, Basement workout room and MBR. That's all. It's really not overbearing. The house has real plaster walls and sound will not travel through them, so each room has at least a pair of speakers. I find it nicer to have direct sound in every room than one master system to blast and hear throughout.

Well, there's lots of 'spares' piled up in the garage too....

Michael

----------------

On 7/11/2005 6:03:12 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

There is no ONE perfect loudspeaker system for all of us, heck for any one of us at any given point in time, any more than there is a perfect coffee, cigar, woman, etc. Any of the finer things in life are so very subjective on each of our individual tastes, in fact our taste at the moment.

For that reason I have a Reference setup, All Cornwall HT, and LaScalas for blasting the backyard, etc. (all total 46 speakers in the house).

I wouldn't confine myself to one single speaker system any more than I'd have one brand of coffee in the freezer or one style/flavor of cigar in my humidor.

I suppose I'd be happy with a singular woman if the right one came along...

Michael----------------

Michael: More often than not, I find myself agreeing with you. What can I say? Great minds think alike! 2.gif Well said, my friend!

All: In my particular home theater situation, I think that Michael (having seen my setup) would agree that in choosing RF-7's and other Reference series speakers, I have optomized the performance level of my very small room downstairs. Heritage speakers would not begin to fit into the environment of our room due to their physical size. Moreover, Heritage speakers may also not perform to thier potential in such a tight environment. I did listen for the first time to many of the Heritage speaker line at the pilgrimage, and my head was turned by their performance, especially the LaScalas! But, in my humble opinion, I still prefer the Reference line primarlity for movies. Apparently for music, I seem to prefer LaScala. Because we watch movies 80% of the time and listen to just music 20% of the time, I am completely satisfied with my RF-7 installation. I do not feel that I have compromised. With that said, coming away from the initial expense of setting up such a system, the ease of installing it and tweaking it, and the overall, continued satisfaction we get from using it, what could be better? I consider this 26-month project (our HT) a total success!

To sum up; in my given situation, tastes, room and application of the RF-7's, they appear to be the best-suited to do the best job. That is not to say they are the best speaker there is.