KLIPSCHORNS

RANDERSON

I am considering a pair of klipschorns. I currently have the rp3's and they are good. But after reading all the accolades given to the 'horns I want a pair. My only concern is that I don't have corners to put them in. Is this a problem or should I should I try something else like the lascala's? Any help would be appreciated.

You can build false corners for your Khorns if you don't have the corners. That would be my recommendation. The Khorns are well ahead of LaScalas in sound, most particularly bass extension. False corners are no second rate solution either. I have been in the Klipsch home and Mr. Paul had false corners for his Khorns.

What equipment do you have? The KHorns need very good equipment to make them sound great. I have a Denon 4800 H/T receiver and my La Scalas sound good but with my Luxman preamp and tube amp they sound very good. I'm still trying to find the right equipment to make them sound great. My living room is 15 X 15 X 8 and it really limits the capabilities of my La Scalas they sound great up to a point but then they overpower me. KHorns need a big room to really get the best sound.

Xman

Would be great if Klipsch came out with a Klipschorn model with false corners built into the design to look as one with the speaker, that would be greats for us who don't have the right corners for them and let us place them in other than corners. That would really be cool. Then when one moves, it can work with any apartment or house!

I couldn't agree more. Think about it... why doesn't Klipsch build 'em solid backed? I mean really, if they were solid and close to the corner I'll bet there wouldn't be that much loss, if any. Someone ought to build a set solid backed and report back... like Klipsch for instance.

Actually, I think it's all a ruse. I'll betcha money they'd sound great with backs on 'em. Doh! We've been duped. Bet the audiophiles reading my post are foaming at the mouth with such blasphemous talk. 9.gif

----------------

On 7/13/2005 6:49:05 PM RANDERSON wrote:

I am considering a pair of klipschorns.

----------------

Klipschorns work better in larger rooms. Otherwise they can be a little overpowering. Good corners help, but as you can see from Dean's project, you can get around that. La Scalas are excellent speakers. They don't need corners and can work better in a smaller room. Have you considered Heresys to start with? Trial the Heritage sound and then move up to what you want.

This thread has more pics, as well as my inane babbling about the project.

Http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?mode=viewtopic&topicID=51654

Klipschorns work better in larger rooms. Otherwise they can be a little overpowering.

The false corners circumvent some of the problems the smallish area might otherwise cause. The room also extends in length another 20 feet behind my chair, which I think helps too. I also change out my networks depending on my mood -- 1st order for lower to moderate listening, and ALK's or AK-3's if I want to blow the dust out of the room.

"...how long did that take you? What noticeable sound change did you hear with it? Was it worth the work?? Looks like what I need here for Klipschorn's. Nice work."

The actual work took about a week, but there was several months of agonizing over the best way to do it. The most obvious difference in sound is derived from getting more on axis with the horns. The K-horns can be easily turned for perfect toe-in, and I can also tip them forward a bit which is pretty nifty too. The bass is rock solid and defined -- and I was pleased with the result as soon as I fired the system up. If I had to do it again -- I would do it exactly the same way.

----------------

On 7/13/2005 8:51:20 PM KlipsDude wrote:

Would be great if Klipsch came out with a Klipschorn model with false corners built into the design to look as one with the speaker, that would be greats for us who don't have the right corners for them and let us place them in other than corners. That would really be cool. Then when one moves, it can work with any apartment or house!

----------------

They have it and it is called the Jubliee. This is only avaliable in the pro market not for the home. Check out the home built version Bigdnfay did on Updates and Mods.

great pics, thanks

Nice false walls, not the insulated kind you usually see here, let me guess, you built the false walls for an end of the long narrow room that already had corners because:

a) the left ceiling is too low to fit the mighty Khorn flush into corner walls

B) you wanted them out from the front wall to give them at least a little of the depth which other loudspeakers can have

c) the incredible wide Khorn soundstage is simply too big for your tiny group ensembles and you dont have a DEQ2496 to narrow the sound stage

d) you need the space to hide junk behind

;)

Thanks for the info Dylanl, I hadn't heard of those, better take a peak and see what your're talkin abouts.

man o man, I feel stupid that I didn't think of doing somethin like Dean and build false corners

first and see how that worked, now i'm curious how that would have worked here. Never heard of building false corners before, now I really feel dumb! 6.gif

----------------

On 7/13/2005 9:04:37 PM jpm wrote:

Think about it... why doesn't Klipsch build 'em solid backed? I mean really, if they were solid and close to the corner I'll bet there wouldn't be that much loss, if any. Someone ought to build a set solid backed and report back... like Klipsch for instance.

----------------

The Khorn is too compromised in the low end with just the back sealed and not extended out with false corners or real corners. If Klipsch sold them with false corners attached, they'd be impossible to get through most doors, and be awfully heavy.

----------------

On 7/14/2005 4:00:43 PM Parrot wrote:

---------------

On 7/13/2005 9:04:37 PM jpm wrote:

Think about it... why doesn't Klipsch build 'em solid backed? I mean really, if they were solid and close to the corner I'll bet there wouldn't be that much loss, if any. Someone ought to build a set solid backed and report back... like Klipsch for instance.

----------------

The Khorn is too compromised in the low end with just the back sealed and not extended out with false corners or real corners. If Klipsch sold them with false corners attached, they'd be impossible to get through most doors, and be awfully heavy.

----------------

I wonder how many people would buy 3rd party false corner kits for khorns hmmm

----------------

On 7/14/2005 8:38:35 PM mdeneen wrote:

Speaking of K'horns, is there an optimal vintage for these things? You know, some specific period of years where the wood was best, the networks "right" and the drivers best?

----------------

I've found the best one is usually of the particular year that the particular owner has. So I would say 1976 is best.

I don't remember the year Klipsch went from plywood to MDF. People who have plywood ones consider them superior. MDF people say theirs are better. Klipsch says MDF is better. Klipsch says new networks are better than the old. And so it goes.