OT: How to catch a Cricket?

Big Ears

For the last two nights there has been a cricket somewhere in my kitchen, just churping away living the high life. I swear it throws it's churp around the room while not moving. It's driving us crazy, any ideas on how to find it and KILL it? I have looked everywhere I can think of and I'm not getting close.

One time, I looked and looked for a cricket giving off a periodic single "churp" in my basement. I sprayed noxious stuff into every imaginable crevice, and still the "churp." I finally figured out it was a smoke detector hidden in a christmas tree ornament. Definitely non-directional.

I usually park myself in a hidden spot and keep quiet for a bit. It will eventually start chirping again. They can fit into some tight spots so even if you figure it out, there may be nothing you can do except spray some poison. When I was a kid, I'd catch them and heave them against the basement's concrete wall where they'd splat. In my old age I've become much kinder to the critters. I usually just toss them in the back yard with the rest of their friends.

I usually start to get them in autumn, and they are sneaky creatures. I once had one cornered under a movable cabinet, and it was gone - until I looked up into the frame, where it was hiding. They can cling to anything upside down, so I start poking around with a fly swatter, trying to force them out.

They can truly drive you nuts. Good luck.

Here's one xcellnt reason to own a cat. 1st off if ya had one odds are you wouldn't have the cricket. Simply put the cat in the room with the insect. Allow it to pinpoint the bugger...verify.....spray the crevice w/bugger spray. Voila...and the cat feels useful too!2.gif9.gif

Got Em! At precisley 10 PM he began his nightly banter, while I waited patiently in the shadows with my Flip Flop in hand just itching to see some action. My trusty Bulldog "Stanley," wondering what in the world had gotten into his master, gazed a thousand yard stare into the void that is the kitchen. Mr Cricket kept up his incessant churp, churp, churp showing no signs of fatigue until, at 11:32PM, he emerged from his refuge that was under the refrigerator and began his search for food. "Stanley" saw him first, alerting me to put down my beer. I, having a slight buzz going from the hunting expedition, crept over to the pest and let out a wack with my flip flop weapon that was like a shot heard around the world. Sliceing through the air like Uma's sword in Kill Bill I. With that, instant silence, which never sounded so good. My domain is now at peace agian. Until next time....for now it will be "The Dance" with a night cap to bask in my victory.

This has been driving us crazy fro two days. We've had this happen before but NEVER like this one. It's like he was on Steroids and laughing at whatever concoction the exterminator sprays every month. I thought about using this as an excuse to buy a SPL meter to try and find him that way but thought it probabaly wouldn't work. Are they sensitive enough to tell slight differences as you go around a room? Anyway, I had to share this with you guys to keep from going nuts. Thanks!

11.gif

----------------

On 7/17/2005 2:21:57 AM scriven wrote:

Congratulations!!!

Are you related to thebes? You both spin great yarns!
----------------

Thanks! No relation. I guess I'm just some guy with too much time on my hands. My wife works the swing shift at MGM, so I play guitar, watch movies and surf the web every night. It keeps me out of trouble....Sort of....9.gif

I tracked one down to a crevice once but I didn't have any bug spray. I sprayed some WD-40 deep into the crevis and no more chirping. If WD-40 didn't kill it outright it it must have lubricated it's legs so it couldn't chirp anymore. I like to think it died of frustration as it tried to rub it's legs together with no effect. 9.gif

you aren't going to be able to locate them with an SPL meter...they aren't that loud and just moving the meter around is enough to make the needle jump. There are some techniques you can employ to try and locate the critters better. Basically, just sweep your head back and forth (like you're saying no) until you can get an idea of where the center is. To give you better vertical location, turn your head sideways and do the same thing. The fact that you'll look like an idiot doing this is another concern... 2.gif