Should I be pissed?

Drew in the desert

Should I be pissed? Heres the story:

I good friend of mine has always been impressed by my setup and has been wanting to get some gear of his own when he had the money. Well, he finally has the money and he asked me what he should get within his budget (keep in mind this is his first home theater rig). I told him that if I was him, I would get the Ref 7 setup with a SVS PC+2039. We also talked about the electronics, but Ill leave that part out. I stressed the most important thing he can do is go to a few retailers and listen to multiple speakers run by different amplification and then make a decision. He never grasped this point and insisted that whatever I said would be good, he would get.

So, sure enough he goes to one Ultimate Electronics and listens to their Reference 7 setup run by a Pioneer Elite VSX-59TXi and the source was a Pioneer Elite DV-4Ai. Having listened to this setup and only this setup, he decides to purchase the whole rig.

He purchased some high end gear with a receiver retailing for $4500, a $1200 DVD player, and you know what the Klipsch cost. The thing that really pisses me off is that he has no idea about any of this stuff. While you and I spend hours researching and listening and building our systems piece-by-piece, he just bought what I said I would buy. Now he has more high end gear than I do, and he will not be able to appreciate it like we would.

The worst part is, Ill have to go over to his house and hook everything up and give him a complete schooling on the different surround modes and show him how to use his equipment. I mean, this guy would have trouble hooking up a VCR to a TV, let alone a complex surround system.

So, my questions is, should I be pissed about this or happy for him?

Sometimes your job as a friend is to keep your buddy from falling down. Sometimes it's to pick him up after he's already done it.

Either way, I don't see what you've got to be hacked about. I don't see that he has fallen down -- quite the contrary. Besides, how did he wrong you? By not taking all of your recommendations, writing them down verbatim, and executing them exactly?

"The worst part is, Ill have to go over to his house and hook everything up and give him a complete schooling on the different surround modes and show him how to use his equipment. I mean, this guy would have trouble hooking up a VCR to a TV, let alone a complex surround system. "

I think you meant, "So now he's got all this high end gear, and he doesn't know the first thing about it, so I get to play with all his toys and learn the ins and outs of it and, if I play my cards right, get what amounts to a REALLY extended trial, and I don't have to actually pay for any of the gear, AND I'll probably get FREE BEER for doing it!"

It's all in how you look at it.

I am sensing some jealously, which is derived by feelings of insecurity.

You should be honored that he took you at your word and purchased the gear that you personnally recommended without hesitation.

I personally wouldn't be jealous of a Pioneer anything, just because you add Elite to it to make it sound fancy it is still a Pioneer!

----------------

On 7/22/2005 9:20:40 AM Drew in the desert wrote:

Olorian, you're right about the free beer part and of course I don't mind helping him out and playing with his system. My problem is its like someone going out an buying a Ferrari and not knowing how to drive stick. What's the point?

----------------

You think he's gonna buy a Ferrari and not LEARN to drive a stick?

Its no worse than people trying to read great liturature, listen to great music, or view great art.

Just because you hear and appreciate more does not diminish the experience for lesser minds.

By the way...

A psychiatrist might think your resentment stems from a neurotic supression of underlying guilt.

Do you have anything you feel guilty about concerning your freind and his purchase?

Pycho Paul

----------------

On 7/22/2005 9:21:49 AM Drew in the desert wrote:

FRZN, I'm not jealous of the Pioneer Elite part. I don't really care for their gear, but I am jealous of the RF-7s.

----------------

Jealous of the Pioneer Elite? 6.gif Of course not--He owns a Denon!9.gif

Drew, Congratulations. Your advice is evidently worth something. That's a valuable asset. Insofar as the free beer is concerned--I think it's justifiable to ask for "To go" beer as well so you can take it home and enjoy your system with a cold one. 2.gif

Why don't you insist he try to set it up on his own and call you with any questions that arise along the way? Tell him that it's very important to understand what all the connections do and how to use all the gadgets like the remotes, different modes, bass management, etc. and that having you set it up from the start would be foolish and counter-productive. Heck, you may not always be available when something goes wrong. Also, tell him to read the manual from start to finish before beginning.

He may then have a greater appreciation for his system and a greater appreciation for YOU after you bail him out for the 50th time when he keeps screwing up!

You did say if I was him I would get the Reference 7's. After that, the part about demoing speakers went out the window. He obviously likes your system, respects your opinion and may not like to shop. Sounds like you are a good friend whose opinion he trusts. He may have assumed that you speaker shopped a lot and ended up with the Klipsch. Some people are impulse buyers and go with the opinion of someone they trust......like you.