Pick the Best Decade for Music ....

I didn´t know we could split decades...so, I will retrench and go 1967-1977. that still get me the british invasion guys AND keeps my foot into the first rush of new guys from england (EC, police, clash)...this would be easier if we got 15 years...tony

I just can't pick. Too much great music is left out of any mere 10 year span.

Oh well, if I must...

1953-1962

Hank, Roy Orbison, Elvis, Chuck Berry, The Beach Boys, The Louvins, Monk, Miles, Little Richard, Lefty, Ernest Tubb, Patsy Cline, The Beatles, etc, etc.

I know it's "popular" but 1965-1975 wins.....hands down.

Consider the sheer volume of material that was released during this time. Seemingly every DAY there were new hits by BIG acts....hell, the Beatles were good for one a week it seemed! Consider also the Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, and Grateful Dead (especially the CONCERTS). Or, just watch "Woodstock".

Consider the TIME: The emotion of the TIME really comes through those artists. People had something to say, and they said it through the music. It wasn't "just entertainment", it was a real political FORCE. Nowadays, that "something to say" is very superficial, manufactured, and filtered......and if someone DOES have something TOO serious to say - well, they may be relegated to the cutout rack....or dare I say it, to the concert ticket exchange/boycott line (Dixie Chicks). I guess in many respects, the "superficiality" of music today IS reflective of the time - very "superficially" oriented - or dare I say it - masturbatory. By the mid 1970's, Rock was beginning to take a turn to such by 1975, when such bands as Van Halen and Kiss began to surface, whom embody the "just for fun/nothing serious here" attitude which brought on the 1980's.

Consider the GEAR we used: Klipsch/JBL speakers with Mac/Marantz electronics......when audio really came into it's own. I'm STILL drooling on that stuff....and owning it, too.

Yes, the late 60's, early 70's, and here's what was going on:

The baby-boomers were statistically aproaching adulthood (Bell curve, so it's spread out a bit). They formed the youth sector of the time, and the growing ability to consume all things "youthful", in particular music, cars, electronics, etc.

The creativity that went along with that was part-and-parcel of the statistical numbers of young adults in the marketplace. Essentially, they produced consumer goods for themselves and were themselves the market drivers.

It's been downhill since then because the youth numbers are in decline, although the attention of the country remains focused on the youth. This is an abnormality and should correct itself when the baby-boomers start to retire. There will be a political shift then, watch for it!

Get ready for a major burst of nostalgia for the "good old days"...

DM

Pick the Best Decade for Music ....

I hope for all of us, it is when when music started to "matter" to you. You "find your voice" in a artist, you feel his struggle is yours, and you "of course" piss off your parents in the process perhaps finding out your own identity.

Now appreciating other eras? Sure for all kinds of different reasons. But ignoring your own era of say Jr High to College years... When music is bought, consumed, and peaks in most people lives is crazy. Just don't vicariously live, mixed up in someone elses... Sad indeed!

I wonder if the goth kids 30 years from now will be goth 45- 60 yr old adults... Wait, that is scary!

----------------

On 7/30/2005 4:58:14 PM kev313 wrote:

"I guess it largely depends on your age and personal experiences..."

----------------

Which is precisely why I also choose '65 thru '75 (since I was born in '62). But not just classic rock, but also with the blues, jazz, some bluegrass, and even electronic/synthesized music (which had begun to blossom from the earliest single-note polyphony Moogs and tape-splice editing to actual keyboards that could play more than one note at a time).