Hughes AK-100 Expander/Compander

JJkizak

My LED display wasn't looking right so I pulled it out of the system for a while to check things inside. While it was out of the system noticed that the K-horns were very flat sounding, there is a separate amplifier feeding the K-horns with another amplifier feeding the center channel, sub, and 7.1 speakers on the sides and back. The Hughes AK-100 feeds only the K-horns. After re-installing the AK-100 the entire system came to life again, especially the lower end which is abolutely earth shattering. After reading previous posts on other kinds of these units I have determined that nothing, abolutely nothing said on those posts applies to this unit. There is no noise, no hum, no distortion, and the filter button on the unit does not need to be utilized. This unit overshadows my RSW-12 sub but without the sub the really low end is missed even though the AK-100 is not in the sub circuit. The sub, the K-horns and the AK-100 all act together to provide blistering low end. The snare drum hits rattle your stomach. The first song on the Queen Latifah CD (The Doug Owens Album) has a couple of Snare drum hits that makes you wonder how did that happen? I hope this thing never breaks any more than it has as Hughes Aircraft has been bought & sold so many times getting it repaired would be a nightmare as no one understands what it does or what it is supposed to do. It has one board with about 30 Chips and one display unit.

The diodes on the power supply section are huge and conventional needle nose probably would not bend the leads. They appear to be .100" thick. I tried to pull off the ribbon cables but they were very difficult so I stopped for fear of pulling something apart. They made this when they were making your father's Oldsmobile. Nine screws holding the cover on with 3/8" heads. Special RCA molded jack assemblies. The covers were made out of something called metal. No corrosion on any component. It also had a power transformer and a fuse.

JJK

JJK

The Hughes AK-100 is not an expander or compressor, it is a spatializer similar to the Carver C-9 or H-9 units. The word compander stands for compressor/expander and to my knowledge that is not what the AK-100 is designed to do. Yes, it was built with MIL-SPEC PCB's and probably top notch components

I totally understand your point though I use two DBX 3BX-DS 3-band Dynamic Range Controllers and a DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer/Electronic Crossover and I have no noise, artifacts, anomolies - nothing! The things that these units are capable of amazes me! I could care less what others think. The Impact Restoration feature alone is worth using them. I use them exclusively for my Sat Dish audio signals and boy what a difference!

I have thought about trying a Hughes AK-100 but haven't yet. I have seen some nice boxed ones pass through eBay too. They had a later model but I don't think it was as good as the first version from what I hear.

If you are referring to something similar to a dbx 3bx, 4bx, 5bx, then shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

There are those who do not think these things work, or don't do it without adding noise & artifacts.

There are others of us who know what you know.

Kind of makes your Khorn sound a bit like a transister radio (impact wise) when it's taken out huh?

(ducking & donning flame proof suit)

9.gif

The hughes unit should be quiet, I have seen that unit in a recording studio. I thought is was an ambiance processor, supposed to give a surround sound experience through two speakers since it is an SRS (Sound Retrieval System)processor. I found this quote on the web about the unit:

"This is the original SRS unit from Hughes Aircraft. Was about $500 new through high-end audio dealers, similar to the Bedini BASE unit/Carver Sonic Hologram. Great for home audio/theatre, or adding depth to tracks in the studio. The technology is now licensed to Sony and others who use it successfully in their products. This was Hughes top of the line unit. Includes SRS processing, The Hughes SRS is an offshoot of Hughes Aircraft research into "virtual reality" for flight simulator systems. The basic idea of the device is that it attempts to detect and enhance difference (L minus R) information between stereo channels, and also to to detect direct vs. reflected sound information in the input signal. It then allows the user to balance these parameters, offering as a result:

- 3D ambience "restored" from a stereo input

- enhanced soundstage with control of apparent width

- enhanced dynamic range

- synthesis of stereo from mono input.

This is not a magic box, just an intelligent application of well-known acoustic principles. The effect is subtle but noticeable, and the unit can be used either to simply enhance stereo or as a pro studio signal processor. Hughes offers 2 models of SRS; the AK100 is the pro-audio version which includes an a 3-D audio LED display indicating spatial spread of the processed signal, 3-D Mono, a loop thru for tape deck. Has , center, space, and level controls. This is a cool image enhancer.

For those of you who are familar with the Hughes Sound Retrieval System (SRS) know that it can make a 2 channel system holographic and provide a very deep and wide soundstage. This is a perfect way to obtain surround sound from 2 stereo speakers without purchasing additional Dolby Digital/DTS decoder which deliver compressed data streams. Quoted from Hughes' literature: "You can move anywhere in the listening room or rotate your head, because unlike other systems, there is no critical listening position to limit your location." It works with stereo or mono and even CDs and videotapes encoded with surround-type information. It does NOT add ANY information not in the original signal and does NOT employ: Delay Processing, Artificial phase correction, encoding/decoding processing, or Harmonics generation."

hughes_ak-100.jpg

I must admit I am not a big fan of processing units in my stereo but to each his own...

regards, tony

Doesn't the Hughes Satellite TV receiver integrate this SRS technology as well?

Not sure of models, and to my knowledge I cannot recall having heard a system using this on satellite reception...but this might be something that some might desire.

Not to hi-jack the thread onto a tangent,but has anyone listened to this?

Also, of the audio versions, as it was mentioned that some of the later units are not as 'robust', which units (model numbers) are worthwhile and which are to be avoided?

And one more off the wall question...have any of you compared the Hughes unit with Polk's use of the L-R (etc.) processing? Similar, better, worse??

Thanks!

SRS can be found on a BUNCH of comsumer systems, it also can be found as a plug in on many MP3 players and computers...as I said, I have not been thrilled by the results, I thought it sounded kind of like the Aphex exciter, etc. none of which float my boat for stereo listening. great on computer, boom boxes, etc. (I think that is what it was intended for originally, lend excitement and fullness of sound to lesser audio systems). It was also used by a bunch of FM stations. regards, tony

The effect is awsome on the low end, and while it is louder in volume the low end sound becomes huge. With the unit out of the circuit I can crank up the volume but it is not even close to the low end impact when the unit is in the system, and that's only the two K-horns, not the center channel, not the sub, and not the other small side and rear speakers. Volume itself does not duplicate what this unit does. I'm not sure how or what this unit does on the very high end as my hearing cuts off abruptly at 12.5 khz., and that means if the frequency is 12.6 khz I do not hear it. (cd test disc at very loud levels)

JJK

Hopefully I can add something to this thread. I have had several versions of the Hughes SRS unit, and have to agree that the first (the AK-100) was truly the best. Hughes only made 2 versions of this thing - the AK 100, and the later AK-500. The AK-500 was a rack mountable unit that did not include the LED display. The rights to the technology were later sold, and a company called Nureality started putting out their version of the unit. Their first version was pretty good, but it did not include the filtering that was available on the AK-100 (which was extremely useful on some material). Nureality then came out with very tiny units that were primarily intended for computer speakers. These worked pretty well, but they had far fewer adjustable parameters. An even later version just had an "effect on" switch, with no adjustability. From what I have been able to find, it looks like this last version was the version that was later licensed to Sony and others.

The priniple problem with these later units was the cheaper build quality, and lack of adjustability. I loved the SRS units (yes, I had at least 5 versions of this thing), but they were at their best when used in moderation. A little went a long way in opening up the soundfield, especially on Heritage Klipsch. The original unit was the best because you could tailor the effect to the individual source material without too mutch tinkering. The later units, without any adjustability to the effect, often went the overkill route because of their fixed effects.

One of the nicest features on these units was the 3D mono effect. I found that this mode really did wonders with old mono movie soundtracks. It even worked very well when sending the 3D mono processed signal to a Pro Logic or PLII processor. It's the one thing I miss about having gone to the Harman Kardon "digital straightpath" receiver I am currently using.

If anyone wants to fool around with this technology, the closest equivalent would be the SRS WowThing. It is an updated version of the old SRS technology, in a very small unit. I haven't heard one myself, but everything I have read about them sounds really good, and for around $30, it can't hurt to fool around with a new toy.

Throw in a word or two about the DBX units...

I've not listened to LP's without one in the system for 30 years. However, I just returned from a good friends home in Houston who had, at my suggestion, obtained a 1BX with Impact Restoration.

Totally awesome. Only describable as having the silence, dynamic range, and impact of digital with everything you love about analog. While a music lover, my friend is no freak like us by any stretch. He just looked at me and said "Yup, Dave, not even subtle is it?"

Anyway, think I'll trade in my 3BX for a 1BX with Impact Restoration soon.

Dave

Dave, I assume you have the original 3BX with the wooden side panels. The unit you really want for analog is the 3BX-III (Series III) this unit has 3 bands of Impact Restoration with the ability of +/- 12db of kick that is totally program dependent and user adjustable. They come up pretty regularly on eBay.

There were 4 versions of the 3BX, the original with the wooden side panels, the Series II which was made into single rack space size, the Series III (this unit introduced the Impact Restoration circuit), and the final incarnation the "DS" Digital Series version which was refined for use with Digital sources.

In fact I have a really nice 1BX-DS up for auction right now with original cartons. The Digital Series unit is more refined and smoother sounding, it also has Impact restoration and an Ambience feature that allows you to trim or widen the soundstage.

• 5 years later...

Hello:

I am NOT an audiophile, but I have one of these units and am looking for a manual for it.

Possible sale or I may keep it as a curiosity. Serial Number is: K04929015

I would VERY much appreciate help with getting a manual for this unit, Xerox or PDF scan fine.

I have not yet tries it out but appears to be in excellent condition. The black protective "Film"

that covers the LED Front Panel Display is completely intact, never removed or even picked at.

Thanks to those whoposted information. It has been very difficult to find info about this

thing even on the Net.

Thanks, Ken Pendarvis, kenp@socal.rr.com

For those with PC based audio systems there is the SRS Audio Sandbox and the updated version now called SRS HD Audio Lab. http://www.srslabs.com/store/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=38 I haven't tried it yet but recalled reading a review on an audio forum:

http://audioaficionado.org/digital-music-servers/69-review-srs-audio-sandbox-has-dsps-time-come.html

It is definitely not marketed in the audiophile world and I was disappointed to learn that it doesn't support Asio, although maybe the newer version does. Interesting that this review related it to the Hughes unit. When I get some time I may play with it.

Has anyone here tried it?

Rod

• 3 months later...

I’m hoping that you guys might help me with an installation
problem. After reading the input on this
site, I recently purchased a Hughes AK-100.
Although it came with the manuals, I still am not sure that it is
connected correctly. I would like the
Hughes to process all the various inputs, phono, FM, cassette, etc, in my
system. Therefore I installed it after my preamp which is passive, and does not
have a tape monitor in/out feature. I used the Hughes Hook Up Guide “input
selector box”installation diagram, substituting the preamp as the “input
selector box”. In this configuration,
the display lights rarely light and then do so faintly. The sound output is also dramatically reduced.

Now, when I actually plug the Hughes into my Niles auxiliary
input selector, the display seems to operate normally and the sound output is
much higher. This configuration, means
however that the Hughes does not process all the system inputs.

What am I doing wrong and how can I correct this? Is this preamp not compatible with the recommended
Hughes configurations? If so, is it also
incompatible with the Carver C9?

I've not listened to LP's without one in the system for 30 years. However, I just returned from a good friends home in Houston who had, at my suggestion, obtained a 1BX with Impact Restoration.

Totally awesome. Only describable as having the silence, dynamic range, and impact of digital with everything you love about analog. While a music lover, my friend is no freak like us by any stretch. He just looked at me and said "Yup, Dave, not even subtle is it?"

That kind of reminds me of the '70s when I used a DBX compander and a Phase Linear autocorrelator together for vinyl playback. Those two boxes really livened up records, plus cut hiss.

The lights work fine if I use the one receiver with the tape input jacks. With the new receiver driving the old amp the lights don't come on until you drive the crap out of it, over 98dbm spl. So levels mean a lot for that thing to operate properly.

JJK