BIT@HIN' / ROCKIN' / SCREAMIN' 80's Guitar

vandec54

----------------

On 8/4/2005 10:27:28 AM theryugobuddy wrote:

Any David Lee Roth led Van Halen - "Fair Warning" had no hits but its the best

----------------

Oh? Where I live Mean Streat and Unchained were huge hits...

OH you sad Sad SAD people... How could you forget about

* The Scorpions

* RATT

* Rush

* Dokken

Oh yeah for sure Dokken. HOW COULD YOU PEOPLE DISS George Lynch.

----------------

On 8/5/2005 5:36:43 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

----------------

* The Scorpions

* RATT

* Rush

* Dokken

----------------

Totally forgot about Lynch15.gif He was and is a great player. I also forgot about Joe Satriani- Surfing with the Alien6.gif and Triumph- Thunder Seven. Rick Emmet is totally BAD!

Amy- you are right about Eruption. It's by far the best solo intro, and set the rock world on fire. BTW- he used to take lessons form Joe Statriani, many people don't know that.

----------------

On 8/5/2005 7:21:14 PM Big Ears wrote:

----------------

On 8/5/2005 5:36:43 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

----------------

* The Scorpions

* RATT

* Rush

* Dokken

----------------

Totally forgot about Lynch
15.gif
He was and is a great player. I also forgot about Joe Satriani- Surfing with the Alien
6.gif
and Triumph- Thunder Seven. Rick Emmet is totally BAD!

Amy- you are right about Eruption. It's by far the best solo intro, and set the rock world on fire. BTW- he used to take lessons form Joe Statriani, many people don't know that.

----------------

I grew up in Birmingham, Alabama -- even though everyone I knew loved Van Halen, you never heard them on the radio. "Jump" was the first VH song I can remember hearing on the radio. Panama was soon after--

They were somewhat underground there--

Satriani didn't teach Eddie Van Halen, BTW -- he taught Kirk Hammett, among others. You're thinking of Steve Vai, who played for David Lee Roth, who was Satriani's student--

Stevie Vai and Joe Satriani are guitar gods. They both actually played together and traded licks along with Motley Crue bassist Nikki Sixx on an Alice Cooper song, "Feed My Frankenstein" The song is on the Hey Stupid album(woops 1991). Off the top of my head I believe that's what it is called.

While all the above are good mentions, I can't think of any better than Guns-n-Roses entire Appetite For Destruction album. What a breath of fresh air that album was back in 1987 to break from all the teeny-bop crap that had takin over the airwaves. It is hard to beat the opening riff to Sweet Child O'Mine. It is hard to beat the lead and rythem of Slash and Izzy. Too bad the 80's was the time of EGO's for rock bands.

----------------

On 8/5/2005 10:56:02 PM kelA wrote:

Too bad the 80's was the time of EGO's for rock bands.

----------------

Egos or not, I want it back.

I find it strange to hear that Van Halen was considered underground back in Alabama. Not disputing it, just odd becasuse they were HUGE here on the West Coast.

----------------

On 8/13/2005 1:56:42 AM wheelman wrote:

Megadeth- Into the lungs of hell/ of off the album "So Far, so good..... so what? While your at it you might as well keep listening to the rest of the album. Especially the next song "Set the world afire".
----------------

I agree " So Far So Good So What " Is a great CD . Allthough lately I have realy been diggin the 1st CD " Killing Is My Business " , title aside , it's got a much better production than you would expect . Skull Beneath The Skin is probably my favorite Mega Death track . But you know , that could change tommorow .

10.gif

Alrighty, well I am a little late to this thread, but here are some great discs that I think are great, have some good guitars & also happen to be from the 80's :

Autograph - Sign in please

Def Leppard - High n Dry, Pyromania

Dokken - Breaking the Chains, Under Lock & Key

Keel - The Final Frontier

LA Guns - Self Titled, Cocked & Loaded

Ozzy - anything with Randy Rhoads

Quiet Riot - Metal Health

Scorpions - Love at First Sting, Savage Amusement

Shotgun Messiah - Self Titled

Tora Tora - Surprise Attack

Billy Thorpe - Children of the Sun (title track just jams!)

Wasp - The Last Command

Winger - Self titled

"I find it strange to hear that Van Halen was considered underground back in Alabama. Not disputing it, just odd becasuse they were HUGE here on the West Coast. "

Alabama's in the Bible belt, you know-- VH was very much like the second coming of Led Zep there. Almost zero airplay, but sold-out concerts and platinum albums.

I remember playing VH "Dance the Night Away" at a party as a sophomore at Auburn, and my frat brothers had me take it off before it was over--they wanted to hear beach music, Sinatra, or Rapper's Delight. We weren't a nerd fraternity-- rockers were just definitely in the minority. And you got the girls with dance music, not Black Sabbath.

I also remember visiting relatives in New England, and I couldn't believe how rocking some of the radio stations were--nothing like in Alabama then.

There is still not a great choice of radio in Alabama, but of course there's "Classic Rock" playing all those songs that they used to not play--