There is NO 20 watt per channel minimum for Klipsch speakers

jazman

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since Jazzman and Alan have resorted to insults I think I will leave them to there little games and bow out of this one,I think the moderators have seen enough to know whos causing the problems.you act like jazz is some elite club that only those of superior intelect can grasp.bet there are more than a few jazz legends that would laugh in your face.

Early tube amplifiers had only very low power capabilities and required very efficient and powerful loudspeaker systems. The horn loudspeaker was the only existing loudspeaker concept which was able to transfer low electrical power into high sound levels. The Klipschorn was literally made with low-powered amplifiers in mind. Check out the lead article of the High Fidelity Magazine 1951 for more insight.

SET was used in some early commercial applications (e.g. 1930s theatre amps), but wasn't really available to the general consumer (and Klipsch community) until the early 1990s via Cary Audio. Paul Klipsch liked the 2A3 tube for a reason. Listen to one to find out, whether PP or SET.

Once you realize why Parrot didn't use his 20wpc graphic in any of the low-powered tripath threads you'll let this one die. .

----------------

On 8/8/2005 9:08:21 PM spaaaz wrote:

Since Jazzman and Alan have resorted to insults I think I will leave them to there little games and bow out of this one,I think the moderators have seen enough to know whos causing the problems.you act like jazz is some elite club that only those of superior intelect can grasp.bet there are more than a few jazz legends that would laugh in your face.----------------

You are so wrong. Jazz is simple to understand--all you need is an open mind and welcoming heart.

Ask Gary if you think I'm some sort of a-hole snob about jazz. I will talk your ear off and play you records from sun up to sun down and then take you around to a couple of clubs to hear this stuff live if you ever make it to L.A.

The first insult thrown was when someone called Joe Henderson an artist for "the cocktail crowd" and who wrote that jazz was only appropriate music for backgound to barroom conversations. THAT was far worse than anything Edmund and I have written.

Think about it.

You don't have to love jazz, but listen to the song "Black" on the album Mode For Joe and tell me jazz is boring and Joe Henderson is a lounge player, only there to cover up the sound of the air conditioner and ice machine. If there was any credibility to lose, you would have lost it all right there.14.gif

Sorry, but I'm keeping my comments strictly jazz related.2.gif

BTW - I played a mean recorder in grade school.10.gif

"Most people lack the intellectual strength and/or curiosity to grasp what jazz offers"

these are your words not mine.I myself enjoy Coleman Hawkins,Ben Webster,The Three Sounds,early miles davis etc. and a handfull of modern artists,but I think that parrot was put on the defensive just by the initial attack of this thread and that needs to be considered in the whole negative debate that has resulted.

----------------

On 8/8/2005 9:08:21 PM spaaaz wrote:

Since Jazzman and Alan have resorted to insults I think I will leave them to there little games and bow out of this one,I think the moderators have seen enough to know whos causing the problems.you act like jazz is some elite club that only those of superior intelect can grasp.bet there are more than a few jazz legends that would laugh in your face.
----------------

spaaaz,

The exact opposite of superior intellect or being in an elite is the order of the day when it comes to Jazz. People enjoy, appreciate, and love Jazz with no understanding of the technical skills required for time signatures, or the musical key in which the song is being played. If you can't see the ridiculous nature of the statement of one Dr. Who to claim one has played Jazz, but needs to have someone name a song to know if he played it, woe be unto you. I have already cited that Joe Henderson played with the Grateful Dead as well as symphony orchestras. Does that sound elitist? So please, do call the moderators if it floats your boat.

Klipsch out.

Since someone was representin' Pound, here's some Williams--a FAR greater poet, perhaps the greatest of all American poets.

To Elsie

from Spring and all (1923)

The pure products of America

go crazy--

mountain folk from Kentucky

or the ribbed north end of

Jersey

with its isolate lakes and

valleys, its deaf-mutes, thieves

old names

and promiscuity between

devil-may-care men who have taken

to railroading

out of sheer lust of adventure--

and young slatterns, bathed

in filth

from Monday to Saturday

to be tricked out that night

with gauds

from imaginations which have no

peasant traditions to give them

character

but flutter and flaunt

sheer rags succumbing without

emotion

save numbed terror

under some hedge of choke-cherry

or viburnum--

which they cannot express--

Unless it be that marriage

perhaps

with a dash of Indian blood

will throw up a girl so desolate

so hemmed round

with disease or murder

that she'll be rescued by an

agent--

reared by the state and

sent out at fifteen to work in

some hard-pressed

house in the suburbs--

some doctor's family, some Elsie

voluptuous water

expressing with broken

brain the truth about us--

her great

ungainly hips and flopping breasts

addressed to cheap

jewelry

and rich young men with fine eyes

as if the earth under our feet

were

an excrement of some sky

and we degraded prisoners

destined

to hunger until we eat filth

while the imagination strains

after deer

going by fields of goldenrod in

the stifling heat of September

somehow

it seems to destroy us

It is only in isolate flecks that

something

is given off

No one

to witness

and adjust, no one to drive the car

----------------

On 8/8/2005 9:33:53 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

Allen said, "I will talk your ear off and play you records from sun up to sun down and then take you around to a couple of clubs to hear this stuff live if you ever make it to L.A."

As long as were not on politics... Your on! Would be great!

----------------

You'd have a blast too! Been there, done that and plan to do it again.1.gif

----------------

On 8/8/2005 9:21:33 PM PrestonTom wrote:

Ezra Pound, The River-Merchant's Wife: A Letter,

I think this is on the right track. The rest of the discussion has just been venom. Ezra Pound, on the other hand, is worth contemplating.

----------------

Glad you liked it. It is a loose translation from Chinese, and it's particularly interesting because numerous poets took stabs at translating the work.

Here is William Carlos Williams's version of it which, while not bad, has nothing on Pound's perfect rendition.

Long Banister Lane

When my hair was first trimmed across my forehead,

I played in front of my door, picking flowers.

You came riding a bamboo stilt for a horse,

Circling around my yard, playing with green plums.

Living as neighbors at Long Banister Lane,

We had an affection for each other that none were suspicious of.

At fourteen I became your wife,

With lingering shyness, I never laughed.

Lowering my head towards a dark wall,

I never tamed, though called a thousand times.

At fifteen I began to show my happiness,

I desired to have my dust mingled with yours.

With a devotion ever unchanging,

Why should I look out when I had you?

At sixteen you left home

For a faraway land of steep pathways and eddies,

Which in May were impossible to traverse,

And where the monkeys whined sorrowfully towards the sky.

The footprints you made when you left the door

Have been covered by green moss,

New moss too deep to be swept away.

The autumn wind came early and the leaves started falling.

The butterflies, yellow with age in August,

Fluttered in pairs towards the western garden.

Looking at the scene, I felt a pang in my heart,

And I sat lamenting my fading youth.

Every day and night I wait for your return,

Expecting to receive your letter in advance,

So that I will come traveling to greet you

As far as Windy Sand.

--William Carlos Williams

For five other versions, check out:

http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets/m_r/pound/othertranslations.htm

----------------

On 8/8/2005 2:30:31 PM Allan Songer wrote:

----------------

On 8/8/2005 2:25:20 PM DrWho wrote:

I suppose there are those who listen to simple boring music like jazz where HUGE peaks of 100dB are the norm and in which case they can go enjoy their puny 2 watt amps
3.gif

----------------

This might well be the stupidest comment ever made on this forum! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

----------------

I second that!

"After much contemplation and reviewing exactly what Jazman has been stating (repeatedly), I think we should all agree there is NO 20 WATT MINIMUM REQUIRED for KLIPSCH speakers. Paul is wrong if he suggests there is a REQUIRED MINIMUM."

PWK had never suggest such!

----------------

On 8/8/2005 7:28:43 PM jazman wrote:

----------------

On 8/8/2005 7:18:27 PM Speedball wrote:

Jazzman,

Why are you bashing Craig?

..yes I know my question has nothing to do with the original question but your comment seems quite unnecessary.

Chill out buddy.----------------

Mr. NOSValves bashes himself by missing the topic. I reposted the topic in that response just in case you missed it also. Maybe you need to chill out. I'm not your buddy.

Klipsch out.

----------------

Mr. Jizzman needs to refill his lithium prescription. He has come out lashing his vile nasty comment's on a public forum once again. I think it would be a good idea to report this behavior to your Psychotherapist.

Craig

----------------

On 8/8/2005 8:27:17 PM thebes wrote:

Um, guys I'm curious, was this SET stuff around and as refined as it is today when Paul Klipsch was inventing things like the Khorn, and did he ever refer to it? Pardon my ignorance, but it's one of my specialities.

In other words would his power assumptions (surely a generality relating to the broad specturm of the various type of amps etc. available at the time), have driven some of the thinking behind the advertising?

Also, I have played with one of those 7 watt class T el-cheapos and it certainly pushed a lot of sound through the KG's I was using it on. I haven't heard SET yet, but this little jobber could definetly hurt your hearing.
----------------

In fact almost all SET design's sold and marketed today are indeed nock off's from the stone ages of audio! Tube audio designers gave up on the topolgy after the 1940's. Hmmmmmm I wonder why2.gif