Dean's Crossovers

NOSValves

I heard the before/after presentations on Trey's LaScalas, and they were indeed impressive. I was sitting next to Dean. Imagine this conversation

Me: Are those your crossovers?

Dean nods yes (the music was loud)

Me: If I ask you to explain them, I'm probably not going to understand, am I?

Dean shakes his head "no"

It worked for me since the sound was all that mattered.16.gif

Woo

Same here! I did my LS center, and my Khorn and Cornwall rears. I am still waiting for Dean to cough up some 13uf caps so I can finish my Klipschorn mains. Get them caps yet DeanO? I can pay you in food if you like (how about a box of yummy MRE's), I have cash too.

The difference is easily heard no struggling to notice here.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=38603&

Was it ragging or whining -- I can't remember. I got an email from someone a while back trying to decide on a network and asked "...what did Craig think about the ones you brought to Indy..." Hey, that's a case where silence from you can be like the kiss of death. I answered the email and while I was telling them that you liked them, I had that thing in the back of my head that since you had never said anything out here about them -- that maybe everyone thought they sucked.9.gif

There are only two sets of these filters in existence, Craig's and mine. I had asked Al if he would be willing to design something for me similiar to the ALK, but a bit simpler. What I wanted was something between the DHAxover and the ALK. Both of those filters are constant impedance designs, but differ in that the DHAxover is true first order from top to bottom, while the ALK is first order on the woofer (6dB/octave), second order (12dB/octave) on the squawker, and third order (18dB/octave) on the tweeter. Both of those filters sound fantastic, but sound very different due to the big differences in energy being used by the drivers. Being first order, the DHAxover opens up very fast -- very rich, crisp, and dynamic at lower volumes. However, In my room, and sitting 12 feet back -- the Klipschorns definitely start to pinch up at 100dB. The DHAxover will do 100dB+, but I'm not so sure the tweeter is all that happy about it. The ALK otoh is a bit closed in sounding to me until a bit of power is pushed into it. I find the ALK sounding best as it approaches 90dB, where it really does take off, and just seems to sound better and better as the volume goes up. I wanted an "in-between" network -- something that would let the speakers open up pretty quick, but also able to put out the heat without causing the "wince factor" to set in too soon. A week with the networks before I took them to Indy told me Al had managed to give me exactly what I wanted. The DHAxover still rules the roost for low level listening, but this circuit comes very close. With no tweeter protection, I was somewhat astounded when Trey ran his LaScalas 1dB short of the LaScalas maximum rated acoustic output without blowing the tweeters across the room, or inducing a mass case of earbleed. I know what the stock networks sound like at those levels, so needless to say I was very pleased.

So what is it? It's a constant impedance network with a first order filter on the woofer, first order bandpass on the squawker, and a third order tweeter filter with a Chebyshev alignment. Using Auricaps in the primary position and Thetas in the tweeter section -- the materials came in about $375.00 for a pair. Add in labor and the price approaches that of a set of ALKs. With Daytons or Solens in the primary position, and Solen film and foils in the tweeter section -- I can do them for quite a bit less.

post-3205-13819269239604_thumb.jpg