Best sounding "Horn Speakers" in the planet.

RAPTORMAN

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/16/2005 10:00:10 PM RAPTORMAN wrote:

Try not to be bias

----------------

Now your dreaming

Uh Klipsch ? " Ding Ding Ding " ... Did I win a prize ?

OK, OK...... Let me rephrase--"Second Best Sounding" horn speakers on the Planet

9.gif9.gif

I have heard the avantgarde duos and trios and they sounded very nice, not nice enough for me to dump my k-horns but they might be second best...

1.jpg

three others I have not heard but am curious about how they would rank;

Cogent Chiaroscuros

dodwy_hero.jpg

the JBL K2 S5800

S5800(K2).jpg

Exemplar horn

listeningroom1.jpg

any of those could make the top of list from what I have read...tony

This is the best horn loaded system I've ever heard. It was at the time in a different (bigger,better) room.

edgarhorns-brenneman.jpg

Speakers - Edgarhorn "Titan" System w/Seismic Sub - no website

Amps - Brenneman Audio "Silver Odyssey" - http://home.earthlink.net/~cybrenneman/audio/index.html

I believe the speaker system costs around 10K and the amps are 40K+. However, I haven't spoke to Dr. Edgar or Cy Brenneman in quite awhile. They are definitely a pair to draw to. Think Craig Ostby, only not as refined or nearly as good looking. 1.gif

Chris

To be honest in home settings I've only heard klipsch speakers none of the others. In clubs I've heard tons of horn speakers but not a fair comparison.

However just based on what people have posted here to get a second best sounding horn you have to spend alot more dinero.

It looks like bang for the buck klipsch has it hands down.

This is the best horn loaded system I've ever heard. It was at the time in a different (bigger,better) room.

Speakers - Edgarhorn "Titan" System w/Seismic Sub - no website

Amps - Brenneman Audio "Silver Odyssey" - http://home.earthlink.net/~cybrenneman/audio/index.html

I believe the speaker system costs around 10K and the amps are 40K+. However, I haven't spoke to Dr. Edgar or Cy Brenneman in quite awhile. They are definitely a pair to draw to. Think Craig Ostby, only not as refined or nearly as good looking.

Chris

Chris

Can you give me a brief review on the Titans. What would you say is the biggest difference in sonics compared to the Khorns?? What was the room size?? How far apart where the Titans when you heard them--same with the sitting position. I heard from friends that these monsters images amazing. I would appreciate your thoughts on these. Do you recall the drivers being used?? I wish I could have a chance to hear them--being in Toronto makes it almost impossible.

1.gif1.gif1.gif

maron, those "bird perches" contain spent uranium which helps control reflections in the room, without them the speakers sound like sh*t...I heard the version with brilliant pebbles works better but costs twice as much ($25,000). I think the currect ratio for bird perches versus speakers is 2:1, I would spend $10k on speakers and $20k on bird perches. regards, tony

They may not be the best ever "system", but the old JBL 375 midrange loaded speakers were sure tasty sounding. I was also a fan of the smaller brothers (the 175 and 85 midranges and systems that used them). Those were the speakers that really began my addiction to audio (along with hearing early Klipsch).

If I had an unlimited budget, I would be spending as much time on the JBL/Lansing forums as I do here. Vintage JBL is a bit out of reach for me, especially given current rarity and cost of vintage JBL - which relates to future serviceability and cost to do so later. Long term, Klipsch is a better choice for me, but it was the vintage JBL midrange that got me addicted.

I find the Edgarhorn setup intriguing. The Seismic = possible sub for Belles? I never really persued this, but I have thought about it from time to time. I read he had a kit form of this, some time ago.

Yeah... for home use, I'd probably vote for the Edgarhorn Titans and Seismic subwoofer. One of the local tube hi-fi gurus has these (in bare MDF) with pretty high-end drivers (the HF compression drivers are TAD's, and the "midwoofers" are JBL's IIRC) and they really suck one in. They are absolutely magnificent.

Sorry, but we're talking a different league (and cost, and size) than the Klipsch offerings for home use, including the K-horn.

----------------

On 8/18/2005 8:18:15 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

They may not be the best ever "system", but the old JBL 375 midrange loaded speakers were sure tasty sounding. I was also a fan of the smaller brothers (the 175 and 85 midranges and systems that used them). Those were the speakers that really began my addiction to audio (along with hearing early Klipsch).

If I had an unlimited budget, I would be spending as much time on the JBL/Lansing forums as I do here. Vintage JBL is a bit out of reach for me, especially given current rarity and cost of vintage JBL - which relates to future serviceability and cost to do so later. Long term, Klipsch is a better choice for me, but it was the vintage JBL midrange that got me addicted.

----------------

You can still use JBL pro drivers which are the exact same drivers and cost much less.

2440 is the pro version of the 375 and a pair in good condition usually sell for $500-600.

2420 (I think) is the LE85 and it cost much less too.