Best $500 power amp for use with Cornwalls?

JSharp

----------------

On 8/19/2005 1:19:00 PM psg wrote:

Everyone is just going to mention their own gear (if less than $500).

Is there really such a thing as
the best
?

----------------

OK, so maybe I should have said "nice sounding amplifier for use with Cornwalls" I was just wanting opinions or what people had heard and liked with those speakers. I'm sort of out of touch with what people are using now and there certainly are plenty of opinions here...

psg is right, whenever someone asks what to buy, they're told to buy whatever the person answering the question runs. You could have 20 posters with 20 different amp recommendations. It's BS, as PWK would say. I'd advise to listen to a few and buy whatever sounds good and is in your budget. SS or tube, doesn't matter, just get what sounds good to you.

btw, not to knock tubes, but if you go that route, remember, it's like owning a classic wooden yacht, the maintenance and upkeep will tax your time and checkbook.

Tubes or SS?

If Tubes I think the MK IIIs are a good recomendation...can you get nicely restored versions for 500 a pair?

If SS and you are looking for a lot of power and headroom consider the Carver TFM series (yes I own them) I have the TFM-25 and have used two in mono configuration with great success. A single TFM-35 would be nice as well.

EDIT: If looking to by new I am not up on the newere gear...can't help.

----------------

On 8/19/2005 1:19:00 PM psg wrote:

Everyone is just going to mention their own gear (if less than $500).

Is there really such a thing as
the best
?

----------------

you're right.

and in that case, i'll recommend my mcintosh mc250

Here is what I say about amps I heard on boh, including Corns:

1. I think if you get the music right, you will enjoy any movies on your system. For two-channel (with a sub) music-

my first choice is the wonderful analog class D chip amplifiers, such as the $35 Sonic Impact 5066 integrated class-T digital amplifier. Only 2-channel with one input, I know, but if you have a universal player, this is quite an amazing little device for the money. Running a sub off the speaker binding posts will be tricky, because the amplifier is so little and light, and the posts are small and fragile. Yet so cheap, it is worth a try.

2. Second choice, wonderful and smooth enduring vintage harmon kardon twin-powered 430, 630, 730 and 930 receivers, going from $25 to $150 on eBay. These give any modern $500 receiver Ive heard on big ole horns a run for the money. They handle 2 sets of loudspeakers and have pre-amplifier outputs too.

3. I give a hell, yes shout to tubes. Add to this solid-state list, the three channel $100, if you can find them, Teac AL 700P class T digital amplifier with Tripath chip, so famously lauded on this forum would be my first inexpensive choice to couple with a wonderful sounding tube pre-amplifier, like the $600 Blueberry Merlin.

4. Ultimate long-term listening pleasure though is found with tubes on horns, even medium size ones. For that, check out the refurbished vintage integrated tube amplifiers at poster NOSvalves web site. Excellent values for $500 to $1K.

5. Above those, consider new integrated tube amplifiers like the copper-colored Cayin TA30 (classic EL34 tubes) that I heard at peacherman Daddydees Arkansas gathering in May 2004 or the excellent new values from Antique Sound Labs (ASL) - more than $500 though

above that, then seperates like mine, Merlin and tube amps and sub...

10.gif

Cant see your profile, so I cant say:

please specify your system: # of channels now and planned, amps, subs, room size, acoustic treatments, EQ, music source, music and movie preferences, percent of movie versus music listening, preferred volume level, must have features, etc

10.gif

----------------

On 8/19/2005 1:46:20 PM jpm wrote:

btw, not to knock tubes, but if you go that route, remember, it's like owning a classic wooden yacht, the maintenance and upkeep will tax your time and checkbook.

----------------

I hear this all the time. Ive had a couple tube amps that come to mind for years and they have never needed repair and I have not even changed the tubes unless I wanted to try a differnt sound. Hell I pulled an amp out of an old abused 1958 console and plugged it in an its sounds great no humm or anything. Im not saying things dont break or need fixing but their not that fragile like a "wooden yacht", and I would not even pretend to know how much maintenance a yacht would need.

Sorry about the wide open question. I realize I should have explained myself a little better -

You can see what I'm using now, but I've been out of touch with what people are currently using.

I live in an area where there is nowhere to go to hear anything. So I'll make the two hour trip(s) to Chicago once I get an idea of what I might be interested in. That's the only option for me if I want to look and listen. I just wanted some suggestions on possible good choices.

Thanks for any and all suggestions. Seriously.

Ignore the tube upkeep comments. Just not true.

Contact Craig at NOSValves.com and he'll hook you up with a vintage integrated HH Scott 299, 222 or something similiar. You won't find better sound for the money. Period!

Someone here is selling a Scott 233 ($750 asking price) that Craig rebuilt. It's a beautiful unit and I'm sure it sounds wonderful. Craig has a magic touch with vintage tube gear. He's probably rebuilt more Scotts over the past few years than anyone and I've never heard a complaint.

I 2nd Gary's suggestion on a Scott integrated if that is what you are in need of. Isn't that crown a preamp? I assumed when you said "power amp" you just needed an amp.

Craig's reworked vintage tube gear sounds great. For 500 you are in the ball park to pick up a decent scott on ebay and still have the funds for Craig to work his magic...give or take a little bit.

I don't care one way or the other about "tube upkeep" even if it does exist. This is a hobby. ;)

I did mean just a power amp. I'll probably keep my old IC-150 preamp for a while. I have parts coming to mod it since it's easy - OPA627's, polypropylene caps, fully regulated supply, etc.

----------------

On 8/19/2005 3:09:16 PM robster wrote:

My Scott 233 MINT NOSValves rebuilt with wood cabinet for $750 shipped, would sound great with Cornwalls,I'm using it with Chorus II's now. Selling to pay for VRD's.

Cheers,

Robert

----------------

It's above my price point right now. 8.gif To tell you how I got to that number, I was just going to buy a new Crown D75A but I figured I'd like to hear what other options I might have.

Now everyone has me thinking a lot more which is exactly what I wanted...