Good CD Player..

audiobliss69

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the suggestion about the Sony S9000ES. I looked it up and read about it a bit. However, I'm looking for just audio only, and I wouldn't mind redbook only, either. Also, I'm against Sony in general. I'm not saying all their stuff is junk, as I know that quite a bit from the ES line is very good stuff. I just don't care for Sony.

++++++++++++

And I do not like video chips making jitter to compromise the Redbook performance.

Early 333 ES SACD player is about the only one I thought was less fatiguing.

The Rega is warmer sounding for sure, and if that's coloration, I don't care... it just sounds good to everyone that's heard it.

Yes, it sure is coloration. And NO, it is NOT the case that everyone who's heard the Rega thinks it sounds good.

As for your newly edited signature/footer: ask Parrot - the self-proclaimed encyclopedia of audio knowledge -- this is a LIE and makes me think you have an inferiority complex. Get a life, dude. Not everybody is going to agree with all of your opinions in life, and surely not on an audio discussion board, the purpose of which is to offer varying opinions and experiences with audio equipment.

It would be much appreciated if you would leave these kinds of comments for either a private message or for a dedicated thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a radical thought!

What would REALLY be nice is if folks would respond to the ORIGINAL provocateur and not simply to the one who rightly objects to the inappropriate insult!

Of course I guess one might, with equal selective attention ( or better yet "ignore-ance"), chastise a person who has been hit by another for having the audacity to respond by becoming upset - all the while ignoring the original punch!

...And a dedicated thread to respond to a post in another thread?[:D] Gee, I wonder what number that would score in the Harbrace Handbook for radically non-parallel structure!?[:P]

Neat!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like the shadow box effect!

The Shanling OEMed-- ONIX XCD-88 --(Musichall is another that uses the player) is a nice CD-only player in the $300 range new--$249 B-stock. You can upgrade it or add a fancy DAC later. I have had good results with it for an under $500 solution.

What about the Rotel CD player that won TAS product of the year? That is around $699 MSRP I think....$500 used?

This page on mods to SONY, etc. is pretty interesting for more expensive solutions.

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/

The Onix CD-1 b-stock under $1k is based on a multi-thousand dollar MBL CDP and well respected.

one player that i have found that is very nice although it is a bit older is the ultech ucd-100,i just brought one home from my local dealer that had one that they couldnt fix,they decided to take it to a electronics repair guy that has experience with these and he got it running for 130.00 bucks and i have to say its a keeper,they had some early problems with these but anything out there that is still functioning will be just fine as most had problems early in the game.this player is built like a tank and has hdcd.nice machine!

I use an older Cambridge Audio D-500... and I still like it.

The differences between players aren't as great as some would have you believe but they do exist. I have done a semi blind test with the unit, and was able to pick it out as it had a slightly smoother sound than the other unit... without sounding dull. The Cambridge transport was slightly more sensitive to vibration though.

Vinyl doesn't come close...

Rob

I use an older Cambridge Audio D-500... and I still like it.

The differences between players aren't as great as some would have you believe but they do exist. I

have done a semi blind test with the unit, and was able to pick it out

as it had a slightly smoother sound than the other unit... without

sounding dull. The Cambridge transport was slightly more sensitive to

vibration though.

Vinyl doesn't come close...

Rob

Thanks Rob!

There are a few of these Cambridge Audio D-500 available on the used

market. Are they better or about the same as the 540C?

http://www.quebecaudio.com/cgi-bin/occase/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=7361&query=retrieval

Considering a new 540C is C$490, I wonder about paying C$400 for a used older unit... Or is it a better unit?

for just a few dollars more than the 400.00 you speak of you can take a huge leap in sound i bought a jolida jd 100 for 700.00 used on a gon and the sound is absolutely great, made a monstrous differance from my top of the line onkyo cdp. i have seen the jolida sell for as little as 500.00 and that is an outright steal, my impressions were the sound was tons warmer (more bearable on the klipsch, no bright at all) the imaging and soundstage also improved a great deal. i did an A, B test and the jolida won hands down Joe

There are a few of these Cambridge Audio D-500 available on the used market. Are they better or about the same as the 540C? ... Considering a new 540C is C$490, I wonder about paying C$400 for a used older unit... Or is it a better unit?

The 540C wasn't around when i got mine so i can't really say, but 400$cnd is too steep in my opinion... I believe I've seen them in the 300$cnd recently and even I paid in the 350$ (locally) range several years ago.

I believe the 540 is supposed to be the replacement to the D300 while the 640 is the D500?

Thanks Rob (and others!),

I'm leaning towards the less than C$400 used Rotel RCD-02 now because

it belongs to a friend of a friend, so I know it hasn't been abused,

and it seems to be a decent player judging by reviews. The C$400 used NAD

C541i is also tempting, since all my gear is black and the Rotel is

silver![:)]

A more expensive unit was suggested as a bargain: the C.E.C. CD3300

http://www.cec-web.co.jp/products/player/cd3300_e.html

Here's a review light on content:

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/html/reviews/techreview.php?rev=31

If I google for "Burr-Brown PCM1738" I also find models such as:

shanling SCD-T200C UK

Ayre CX-7 CD player ($3000)

Esoteric's DV-50 ($5500)

Interesting!

The

CEC 3300 sells for about US$1000 in Europe but about US$550 in the US

and C$790 here. I'd be looking at over C$900 after taxes, so it's a

little pricy.

The dealer can also get new units of the older Arcam CD-72 for C$625 (+ taxes) and has a used Arcam Alpha 7 for C$350

If you're able to give something unconventional an open-minded try, the Toshiba is a good suggestion. An even cheaper and equally outstanding player is the Toshiba 3960/3980 DVD player. 3980's are currently available at your local big box retailer for $59.00. I have three and am listening to one right now. You have to be pretty secure with yourself to try this- it won't impress your friends. But the sound is unbelievable. I'd love to see some folks squirm after a DBT between this and their favorite high bucks unit. Anyhow, if you don't like it, just pack it back up and return it, nothing lost.

If you do try one, be sure to use three isolation blocks under it, and a couple of heavy books atop it for vibration damping. $1.00 skin pumice stones from your nearby QVC or Wal-Mart work well for the isolation blocks.

Regards,

Ed

Interesting, I read a few posts lately in this forum where various CD listeners found or dug out an old record player and were AMAZED by how good they sounded compared to CD. Now they want to build up record collections.

Then here's a thread about how to find a good CD player. Why is this still an issue?

Someone should take a look at the wall - there's writing on it!

Paul

Well, from my experience with my new Cambridge Audio azur 640C in concert with my 300B SET amp, 6SN7 SRPP linestage, and my Cornwalls (and later with my Triangle Zephyr towers and the Loth-X Amaze single-driver monitors), I have never experienced any brightness or coloration that plague other listeners. Maybe their brightness problem lies within their preamps, I dunno. But I am quite pleased with my 640C with its full-bodied sound and flawless performance each and every time I use it (and no remote anomalies for me).

Just my two cents, but I'd highly recommend the azur 640C![Y]

post-11084-13819271365046_thumb.jpg