Why do people prefer Heritage (Corn, Chrorus, Heresy) over KLF's?

vman71

Having only experienced first hand the Legend series, I wanted to know why so many people prefer the Heritage series over the Legend series? Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

Your comments will decide whether I get the '84 Corns or another pair of KLF-20's. If I get the Corns, I have to part with my existing KLF's and replace them with other Heritage.

Currently have: Pair of KLF-20's, KLF-C7 and RSW-15

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use to own KLF 20, C7 and have moved on to a pair of 2004 La Scalas and a 1976 single La Scala with new BEC AA/A crossover. I have not heard Cornwalls so I cannot talk about the differences between KLF 20 and Cornwalls.

The main difference is how my La Scalas, Cornwalls, and expecially the KHorns sound seems to engulf the whole room and your whole body. Some critics of Klipsch speakers and horn speakers in general say they sound like PA speakers. But when you go to see live music the sound engulfes the room and your whole body. Look at the speakers and they are horn loaded speakers.

The Cornwalls will give you that feeling of being live in front of a stage with the band playing. The KLF 20s in a small to medium room will sound great but the Cornwalls midrange horn and bass is going to be better. The challenge is finding the right assortment of equipment that will run the speakers so they sound their best.

When I got my La Scalas and hooked them up to the equipment I was using with the KLF 20s they sounded okay but not like I knew what they were capable of. Siince then I have been experimenting with amp, preamps, cd players looking for the right combo that will give me that sound that envelops you.

The wrong equipment with either speaker and they will sound bright or harsh. The La Scalas are 104 DB and the KLF 20s are 99 DB and the KLF 20s were more forgiving with the equipment I used with them.

I think but I'm not sure but the KLF 20s may be cheaper than Cornwall. But since you would be buying used you may be able to find a pair of Cornwall for about the average cost of KLF 20s. So if money is not the deciding factor I say buy the Cornwalls. If you have a tight budget buy the KLF 20s and you would still be getting a great Klipsch speaker.

Remember this is all my opinion try to find Forum members who may live close and have these speakers for a demo.

Xman

...Your comments will decide whether I get the '84 Corns or another pair of KLF-20's...

You really should not base your decision on which speaker gets more votes on this forum. The way to make this decision is to go out and listen to both types, and decide for yourself. Everyone has different tastes and no two people hear alike. Get the ones that YOU like, not the ones that others say you should like.

I can't compare directly except to say that the KLF-C7 does a pretty good job with my Cornwalls.

Checked specs, those 20's look pretty rocking to me, c'mon 100 db efficient, digs down to 35 HZ, 40" tall, real wood veneer, what's not to like?

I would say if you are quite pleased with your setup and/or funds are at all tight or you're in a bit of hurry to get HT set up, go ahead and get your 20's. Or 30's for mains, move your 20's to rear. Or get 10's for rear...

Moving to Heritage would involve a few sales and quite a number of purchases which will take time and money.

But I do truly LOVE my Cornwalls.

Michael

I believe cabinet/materials/construction and some quality control issues somewhat tainted the KLF series. Some of these same issues crept into later runs of Forte IIs and Quartets. IMHO, whether they actually SOUNDED better or worse is pretty much a matter of taste and opinion. Like people, we probably form our initial opinions based on looks... fair or not.

my experience was with forteII's and a pair of Heresy, A/B listening showed me that I prefferred the sound of the k55 midrange and k77 tweeter. It felt deeper and was more open. That put me on the road to Cornwall. The ForteII was an awesome speaker as I am sure klf-20 is as well. I think that if the cornwall are a deal you should get them just to make a decision for yourself, you can always sell them to michael[;)]. His motto is "have car will drive for speakers". The investment can be recouped and youd be able to hear for yourself.

just my .02

Wayne

I'm going to look at and listen to the Cornwall's tomorrow. I'm really excited because I want to experience the excitement and hoopla of the Heritage speakers. [:D] I'll also get to see first hand the condition of these speakers. I believe they are Walnut Oil.

I'll post my thoughts after I check them out.

I think a more realistic price would be around $800. Of course if they're close so you don't have to ship (NEVER do this with Heritage) or drive far (I always do this), that'll save you some coin.

Like Wayne said, for $1100 they should be absolutely MINT, because CWO isn't that rare.

Michael