What type\brand oil do you use for oiled wood cabinets?

chuckears

I used Fromby's Tung Oil. It's a mess to apply, and you have to make sure you get a bottle that hasn't been sitting on the shelf in the store for months and months, otherwise it's about the consistency of silly putty, but it protects the wood and shines up the surface like gangbusters. I did this with my KG4 (oak finish) back in 1985, and they STILL look brand spanking new.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Quaker State - 10W40. The 10W30 is too thin to stand up to the summer heat in Arizona, and the heat the speakers produce when pounding out the Matrix at 200wpc. Smile.gif

Actually, I've used Watco Rejuvenating oil (from Home Depot) at the suggestion of SteveP on my walnut Forte's and KG4s, and my oak KG3s, and it gives them a nice, warm glow.

DD2

I use the lemon oil myself, with much satisfaction. Looks great.

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

I use Scott's Liquid Gold on a regular basis for cleaning & dusting the Walnut Oil & Lacquer finishes, and once a quarter I use Formby's Lemon Oil Treatment.

Use Guardsman, Concentrate Cream Furniture Polish w/Wood Sent on the black finishes. Guardsman gives a nice low luster sheen to the black finishes. The added Wood Sent smells good too.

Wes

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-26-2001 at 07:25 PM

Yea i use K-Y jelly on mine!! LOL!!!

Be carefull using lemon oil, that will turn the wood yellow over years!!

What i did was ,,, i cleaned up the wood on my KG series then applied a clear coat of acrylic, scince then, the always had a fantastic shine!!

And it also kept the lamination from chipping off!!

Also, dont oil the cabinets to often, the lamination will chip off, i oiled mine once a year!!

Once the oil sets in, the glue on the lamination looses its strengh!!

well, have fun and enjoy!!

Regards Jim

Jim,

An interesting cautionary note that Lemon Oil may cause yellowing after prolonged use. My once a quarter use sounds like too much. Another poster on a similar thread mentioned a Watco product available at HD. I've heard good reports about their products. I tried find their stains at my local Lowes Hardware, was told they no longer carried them. Think I'll check out HD.

Did you refresh your stain before applying the clear coat?

Wes