this Denon. This is a top notch machine with quality stamped all over

it, inside and out. The only thing holding me back is not so much the

money for this but the fact we will be seeing new formats in the next

year. With the debate, battle or whatever you want to call between HD

DVD and BlueRay I plan on waiting. I just can't see myself shelling out

the bucks for a top end machine with these new formats really just

right around the corner.

But if you are hot for a new machine today I would recomemend the 3910

(really great thread on this machine over at the avs forum).

If you can wait for a bit especially if your going to slap down a

couple of grand into a new machine then personally I would wait.

My 2 cents

Scooter

I am going to wait a 3-5 years before I buy one of the HD DVD players. Everyone has invested their money in current DVD players and DVD discs so people will not want to have to replace their collection of DVDs. I have about 150 DVD discs and some people have many more. The thought of having to replace them all with HD DVD discs is not very pleasing and I can not afford it!

Once Hollywod video or Blockbuster has changed over to HD DVD discs then I will buy a HD DVD player and just rent them. What is the point of buying the discs anymore? Just when everyone changes over to HD DVD something else will come out. Hollywood video and Blockbuster in the last year have finally switched over to only DVD discs and some stores still cary a small section of VHS tapes.

So hopefully next year I can get a Denon 3910 to replace my Denon 2900. Then like I said keep it for around 5 years until the new format has replaced regular DVDs and just rent them.

So if you want the very latest technology then wait till the new formatt is decided and buy the first player on the market and very few HD DVD discs. Or wait 3-5 get a better player and have a better selection of HD DVD discs.

In ten years CD players and DVD players will slowly be replaced by the computer which will be easier to use with your home theater system. DVD players will slowly be gone and you will rent the movie from Hollywood online and download and play it thru your HT system. That is why I am not buying anymore DVDs or HD DVDs.

If you plan to get the first generation HD DVD players wait. If not get the 3910 or another player and wait till their are better HD DVD players and more HD discs available.

Xman

I spent quite a bit of time looking at players before choosing the Pioneer Elite 59avi. It was between it and the Denon 3910 - I found a seemingly better picture quality (so darn subjective) and I did have less problems on various DVDs (some of the animated stuff required some work to get to play on the 3910).

All said - I probably would have been alright with the 3910, but I am darn pleased as well with the 59avi. Audio seemed to be a push.

As an aside - listened to the SACD of DSOM last night and remain a huge fan of this mix. You can really get lost in sound.

I am going to wait a 3-5 years before I buy one of the HD DVD players. Everyone has invested their money in current DVD players and DVD discs so people will not want to have to replace their collection of DVDs. I have about 150 DVD discs and some people have many more. The thought of having to replace them all with HD DVD discs is not very pleasing and I can not afford it!

Once Hollywood video or Blockbuster has changed over to HD DVD discs then I will buy a HD DVD player and just rent them. What is the point of buying the discs anymore? Just when everyone changes over to HD DVD something else will come out. Hollywood video and Blockbuster in the last year have finally switched over to only DVD discs and some stores still carry a small section of VHS tapes.

So hopefully next year I can get a Denon 3910 to replace my Denon 2900. ....

Xman

I would love to hear a compelling reason to spend $1500 +/- on any CD/DVD player!

And as far as HD DVD blu ray, I would simply buy what you have a compelling need for at the time, with the understanding that this "new standard" everyone keeps waiting for isn't coming!

And even when Blu-ray finally begins shipping, InPhase will be releasing their Maxell manufactured 300GB write once Holographic disks next year featuring <200ms seek times with projected 1.6TB recordable capacities by 2009. Maybe by then the blue laser idiots will have figured out what form of their format will be appropriate for the museum of formats that history passed by.

This entire, 'what will be the future' speculation game is indeed fun, but utterly superfluous to the purchase of a player today. And I dare say that an exotic player is simply an extravagance, not a necessity! (And I find it hard to justify anything more than the Pioneer DV-578A DVD-A SACD player available for $100-$129!)

The commercial market such as Blockbuster will be following the curve - not leading it! And it will make sense to purchase a unit that will handle the current needs, as the technology will most likely be marginal in several years. The old idea of investing in cutting edge technology and 'future proofing' has gone with the dinosaurs!

The wife and I were standing in the Audio store in need of a nice player when she said..."let's just get this 3910 and be done with shopping for one". A month or so later after tons of useless research I purchased a closeout 2900 trying to save a dollar.

Man, what a dum dum I am sometimes..........that 3910 is a realy nice player.

I have one and love it. Paid right at $1K for it. It plays every type of disc known to man. Great sound and video. Very well built. My only complaint would be the lighting on the remote. It does not light up all the buttons, just some of them and it is hard to find the button to activate the lighted portions in the dark. If all you can complain about is part of the remote they must have done something right.

I was a bit concerned about the new format...but at some point you have to buy and stop analyzing, reading, testing, waiting, etc.

I say buy a 3910 and be done with it. You won't regret it and you can start today to enjoy it rather then tormenting about what ifs for another 6 months.

I've had one since January and I'd go with a different option for a few reasons. I'm even thinking of selling mine to do the following.

I think the 2910 has the same video features. I don't have HDTV so I can't really comment on the video portion but if I were to do it again I'd buy a cheaper player and add an outboard DAC. The 3910 sounds OK. It's definitely better than my previous Sony entry level SACD player but it's nothing special. I find the bass a little on the thin side versus other players I've tried and imaging could be better defined (especially for the money).

I haven't decided if it's the player or just a run of bad luck on the DVD-A titles that I've picked but it seems like DVD-A playback is brighter sounding than SACD or CD.

If you are looking for a universal player I'd again recommend something cheaper. Hi Rez audio is dead. I wouldn't dump too much many into it at this point in the game.

If you are looking for great sound in either DVD-A or SACD then I'd search for a particular machine that specializes in that format.

If you decide on the 3910 definitely do not pay full retail (it's not worth it to me). Shop around. I paid $900 NIB w/factory warranty back in January. Since then demand has greatly increased on this player and many stores don't need to discount it but some still will.

I have a 3910 and think it is outstanding. It is paired with a 60 inch Sony LCD projection TV and Klipsch reference 35 series all the way around. DVD-Audio, SACD, DVD movies, and regular CDs. i use it for everything. Can't comment on the remote, cause i use the universal remote from my 3805 reciever. i use the denon link for all audio since my 5.1 input on my reciever is occupied by my PC for surround sound gaming on my new sound blaster x-fi card. Video picture on 720p output is prestine, and also i use the sub-pluge below black level since LCD projection TVs can't get really black and it looks awesome this way. Sound is awesome as well, fills my 14-20 ft room perfectly. I really can't fault it for anything. It's sturdy as anything, firmware upgrades on Denon.com, (i now can use SACD through the denon link as well, so i have a DVI cable and a denon link cable and that's IT!) Works for me. Paid ~ 1,000 the day it came out from my klipsch dealer who gave me 20% off.

Spec and capability wise this this thing is a near Holy Grail, I have always liked Denon players. I love my current DVD 2200. Tom If you are interested in this I don't see how you can go wrong. I don't see its utility being exceeded any time soon. I think Dragonfyr is correct, waiting and trying to anticipate the commercial market changes will leave you on the perpetual fence. If you like it, I'd say get it. It ain't cheap but then look at the hobby we've chosen.

I had to send my 3910 in for service today. The HDMI output quit working. Luckily it is still under warrenty. I'm really going to miss it while it's gone.

The video is outstanding. I use the HDMI out upconverted to 720p into my DLP TV. DVDa and SACDs sound great.

This will be the last DVD player I will ever need until they get HD DVD ironed out, and even then I will keep the 3910 for Hi-Rez music.

I would love to hear a compelling reason to spend $1500 +/- on any CD/DVD player!

(And I find it hard to justify anything more than the Pioneer DV-578A DVD-A SACD player available for $100-$129!)

So you don't believe the ears of many forum members who swear that a

good quality dedicated CD player makes a huge difference in dynamics,

soundstage and the tonal quality of instruments?

I have the Denon 2900 with complete audio sections mods done by underwood audio out of Atlanta and I can tell you that compared to the stock version, there is no contest. The video section of this unit was already top notch right out of the box but the audio section was missing alot considering the price of this unit. I paid 600.00 for this unit stock on a closeout deal which I thought was a good deal and then sent it to Underwood audio to let them do all the complete audio mods. The complete audio mods were not cheap but the sound difference was amazing compared to the stock audio circuits.The soundstage, the bass,no more shrill to the upper end, everything audio was improved. Im running the unit with a Denon pre/pro, Mcintosh amp mc402 (400 x 2) and 2004 k-horns. Overall I would put this unit with the audio mods up against anything Denon has out at this time. Denon has always put more quality into their video circuits than in their audio sections.I have not auditioned any other units but have read where with these audio mods it would top units costing into the thousands. All I know is I am very satisfied with this unit and until HD dvd is out and well established I will be rockin with this Denon 2900 until at least I feel like I've got my money's worth and then some.

I'll probably buy one new. If so I was thinking I'd listen to it for a while and then send it off to SACDMods.com and have Matt tighten it up even more. We'll see. Decisions, decisions.

WHY DID I HAVE TO ACQUIRE THIS ADDICTION ANYWAY?? [8-)]

I'd definitely lean more towards the 2910 if you are planning to have it modded anyway. You should confirm this, but the only difference between the 2910 and the 3910 is the analog audio output and beefier power supplies which a mod would replace anyway. Just trying to save you money.

Thanks for the reminder about SACDMods.com. I had forgotten about him. Unfortunately it's difficult to hear the difference in modding players so read the descriptions carefully. I would be leery of this statement combined with my previous description of the 3910;

The sound is noticeably crisper, cleaner, more detailed, and open.

IMO, this player does not need to be "crisper". It needs to be warmer. The Underwood mod just claims the sound is "GREATLY improved", whatever that means. They really don't say what is improved.

Whatever you do, I'd be curious in reading your review of the outcome.