What do you do for a living?

kenratboy

I remotely monitor large phone systems (PBXs). Basically something goes

wrong with one, it throws out an error code, we receive it, dial in,

and either fix the trouble or send out a local technician to check the

hardware. Sounds a lot more complicated than it is. Gets a bit

monotonous, but pays the bills & allows for some hobbies.

Before that, I was also in telecom. Did circuit ordering, auditing, price negotiations, bunch of other stuff.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Electronics Product Line Manager for a transport refrigeration manufacturer. They make reefers for trucks, trailers, and shipboard containers. I direct the electronics end: strategy and product development of controls, software, peripheral products such as telematics equipment.

I thought truckers were drug tested ?!

I think we had this same topic just a few months ago.....I could be mistaken.

Yup, i remember that thread too...

I'm still a Building Engineer (mix or civil / mechanical /

architecture) ... and work for a construction company that builds

commercial / institutional / residential projects.

Rob

for the last 7 years i was a self employed contractor, made enough to pay the bills but couldnt seem to get ahead, no one wants to work and no one wanted to pay for the work they received. i recently took a job with amtrak as a union pipefitter, (i work on all the plumbing, hydraulic, and air lines on the high speed trainsets). been there 5 months now and it is a decent job that pays pretty well and i finally have benefits. hope to do 20 there and that will put me at 60 years old and ready to retire. Joe

• Moderators

Install and design landscapes, beds, trees, watergardens, waterfalls, for about 13 years up to katrina. Now doing cleanup from katrina for about two months, then back to the regular scheduled program.

It is fun because the customer gives us a few ideas of favorite plants and lets us do what we want with the design and layout.

They always end up happy,a few times the wife even started to cry because she said they never thought their house could look so good, happened twice in a row a few months ago. Scared the hell out of me the first time, thought we screwed up or they expected something different, sent my wife over to talk to her, it was a relief to hear she was happy, sorry i don't cry when happy,diden't know what was going on.

It is a lot of work but fun and fun to make people happy.