What do you do for a living?

kenratboy

I may have exaggerated a bit. I actually enjoy my job much of the time. I hate my commute though. The upside is I've listened to about 500 books on tape over the years that I would never have the time to read. When things are busy and the stress level increases, that's when I enjoy my job the most. I really enjoyed my job for the first 10 years or so. Lately its been a liitle rough however.

When I started, my commute was 15 minutes. Shortly thereafter, they moved us to the main office but my kids were settled in private schools, we had bought a house and my wife was in law school close to home.

Sometimes you do what you have to to prepare for the future.

I do envy those who REALLY love what they do for a living. There have been times where I've LIKED what I do but never really LOVED it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Civil trial attorney; trying to solve problems for people. Being an "old school" guy, I view it as a profession rather than a business.

Before you start bagging on lawyers, remember that in every craft, profession or industry there are those that strive to reach high standards, those that are satisfied with mediocricy, and those that sink (or dive) to the bottom.

I hope most of the lawyer jokes are directed to those that view it strictly as a way to make money and/or to make others miserable.

kenny, you say "uptight" like it is a bad thing . . .. .. perhaps just a bit overly sensitive to some of the stuff floating around out there.

Most of the lawyers I know have grown weary of the jokes, but no doubt will still give you a courtesy laugh so as to be a "good sport."

I have a good friend who is an attorney (actually, many friends who are attorneys) Most of them do not like lawyer jokes.

I work as a computer support tech for a small private college. Before

that I did support at a small guv'mint contractor. Electronics repair

of commercial knitting machines. Newpaper layout/production before

that. First job was as a TV news photog, using film. Changed jobs right

as video news gathering was just starting in the market I was in.

The whole time I have done studio recording and jingle production, demos, etc.

Bruce

Electronics Product Line Manager for a transport refrigeration manufacturer. They make reefers for trucks, trailers, and shipboard containers. I direct the electronics end: strategy and product development of controls, software, peripheral products such as telematics equipment.

Bummer. What happens if you die tomorrow? Would your life be wasted?

I absolutely Hate my job, but if I died tomorrow my life would not be wasted. My job is just that, my job. It pays the bills and does so well enough that I can't really afford to start over. My Life, on the other hand, is defined by the kind of person I have been and the things I have accomplished.

Service administrator at a busy 20-bay RV dealership. We moved into the new location a little over a year ago. Nights/weekends I have my own side business. I build and sell mainly Powerglides, TH-350 and TH-400 trannies for drag racing, along with oval track, truck pull, and street/strip use too. Keeps me hopping needless to say! Probably could go fulltime with it, but I would rather have someone else paying my bennies for now. My website if anyone is interested is: http://www.oldanimotorsports.20megsfree.com. I made my last driving trip down the quarter mile in mid '98 in the funny car, qualifying #1 and winning a race in Wisconsin, but have little time now to chase around the country with work, my business, and a family too. Someday I may race again, and my own dragster is still sitting there, collecting dust! Unless one of you wants to buy it![:D]

Bummer. What happens if you die tomorrow? Would your life be wasted?

I absolutely Hate my job, but if I died tomorrow my life would not be wasted. My job is just that, my job. It pays the bills and does so well enough that I can't really afford to start over. My Life, on the other hand, is defined by the kind of person I have been and the things I have accomplished.

Very well said.

Patrick,

My wife is also an attorney as you know. Jokes get old after a while. I know plenty of bankers that are much worse then most lawyers I've met. There are crappy people in every profession. Just harder to come up with good jokes for them.

Remember that in every craft, profession or industry there are those that strive to reach high standards, those that are satisfied with mediocricy, and those that sink (or dive) to the bottom.

This is so true in all fields of work.

It burns me up to see the ones that sink.....I have always referred to them as the lazy ones.