Bad luck with diaphragms

vman71

How often do diaphragms go bad? It seems like I'm having more than my fair share go bad. I just bought a pair of Chorus II's and one of the tweeters isn't working. This is following the possiblility that I may have two bad diaphragms in both of my KLF-20 squawkers.

What are some of your experiences? I'm looking at sending three diaphragms out to Bob for repair?

Am I just unlucky?[:(]

Mike

I wouldn't say it is luck.

I bought a pair of Quartets off e-Bay where one tweeter was supposed to be blown. Nope, both were. I bought four replacement diaphragms from 1-800-KLIPSCH (two for spares, they're cheap and shipping charges are aboutt the same) and installed them without problem.

Tweeters are the most delicate and history on the forum show that tweeters of all units are the most likely to be destroyed.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying about the KLFs. (It sounds like a British, Indian, or German idiom rather than Virginian, smile.)

Generally, they either work or don't and it is not difficult to tell by putting your ear to the mouth of the horn. A paper towel roller tube can be used as an improvised stethoscope.

Let us know more.

Best,

Gil

Bob,

I only got the chance to hook up the Chorus II's that I just bought and discovered that one of the tweeters wasn't working. The other one sounded fine.

I have to install the networks into the KLF-20's to see if the squawrkers start working again. If not, they'll be on their way to you for repair.

One thing I did need to ask is, how do you get the K-79-K1 tweeter out of the speaker cabinet? On the 20's and the C II's, it looks like you have to disassemble the tweeter to get it out?

Mike

What the heck are you guys doing to your tweeters!?! Over the last twenty-five year no less than a dozen pairs of Klipsch have come (and some actually have left) and I have never lost a tweeter. I have only used 100 watt RMS SS amps. I would assume I have pushed them to close to that limit several times, but not on a regular (listening) basis. I had one diaphragm for a midrange horn flake out, but even that seemed to be only a bad solder connection (crack??) of the voice coil wire and terminal connection wire.

The tweeter family (K-76, K-75, and K-79 - maybe others) that are used on the Quartet, Forte II, Chorus II, all have additional opening space on the horn mounting (motorboard) plane (underneath the surface plane - where the screws actually attach) such that they can be removed/installed intacted. They don't fall/pull straight out; a bit of (minor) contortion is involved.

"How often do diaphragms go bad? "

They don't really.

Every now and then you get a random failure on a mid driver, it's usually where the lead-out wire attaches to the voice coil wire.

The K79 type tweeters fail due to too much average power, they burn to a crisp.

Clipping increases the average power a tweeter sees, so does playing loud with a really big amp (not driven into clipping). The result is the same, time for a new diaphragm. Music with a lot of HF content can make the problem worse. The first time a diaphragm is found to be burnt I install a 211-2 automotive dome lamp on the tweeter, and I never see it again for that problem.

Old K77 type tweeters fail for mechanical reasons (mainly).

I don't know if it's true, but I hear most replacement diaphragms sold by Klipsch and others are made overseas. I have also had an experience with a new diaphragm from Klipsch for a Cornwall II that was bad when it arrived. The dealer told me they had a bad batch about a year ago and have since fixed the problem. The lead wires on the new ones I have seen are hair thin and I question their durability but what do I know, maybe they are all that way? I will say I have never "blown" a diaphragm but have purchased Heresy II's and Cornwall II's that were gone when I got them. I know how they blew the Corns. A crappy 30 watt SS Sony receiver ran full bore for most of their life. It is likely these tweeks blew the tweeters years ago and didn't know it. It was only until the mids went that they knew something was wrong. They were from 1986 I believe and withstood almost 20 years of abuse when I got them. I would say that speaks volumes for their durability and quality! Sure wish I still had them!!!

Mark

My friend had a problem with his wife's diaphram once... LOL.. oh well, kid number 3...

Seriously....

Yes speakers, especially the tweeters, get blown with mis use.. Lucky for us we can order parts and fix them or have wonderful people like Bob to do it for us too. Might be a good idea to install a fuse.. if you find yourself doing this over n over..

In college a friend down the hall used to abuse his room mates stereo when he was gone.. When he finally blew the speakers...and had to re pay him for the replacements.. that all stopped.. LOL.

(Infinity ribbon tweeters are not cheap!)

"Are some speakers more prone to blowing diaphragms? I replaced three or four in my good ole KG-4s but I've never had to in my Fortes or Cornwalls. "

The horn in the KG4 is crossed much lower and receives more energy. Early KG4s had no protection, mid vintage ones had the wrong PolySwitch (-090), a -050 or a 211-2 lightbulb is best. In this application I think the 211-2 is better. To be fancy, install a 211-2 with a 2.2 ohm 2W resistor in series with it , and then place this combo in parallel with the -050. The -050 will short out the 211-2 untill you overload it, then it will pop open and the sound will then go through the 211-2. If you have the clear woofers, you will be able to see the 211-2 light up when you play it too loud.