TheEAR...more subwoofer recommendations...

jt1stcav

Jim, have you thought about DIY? There is a lot of bang for the buck to be had, do you have a spare ss power amp lying around?

Michael, years ago I DID have a DIY subwoofer...a 3 cubic foot sealed enclosure with two downfiring 8" Rockford Fosgate drivers, powered by two Carver M-400t amps each bridged to 500 watts mono, controlled by a dbx Pro Model 234 active crossover. Later I upgraded to a single 15" Dayton DVC Series dual voice coil driver in the same enclosure, powered by a single Carver M-400t (the other amp I had won from eBay blew up) back to its 201 WPC stereo mode, controlled by an AudioControl Richter Scale Series III active bass EQ/crossover. They both sounded okay, but there was definately room for more improvement.

Then I was laid off and went bankrupt, and sold everything but my Cornwalls...[:'(] I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of another DIY project, so I'll save my money and buy new straight from a manufacturer who knows how to build 'em right!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mr. EAR, you are without a doubt THE most knowledgable person I know when it comes to subwoofers (probably because you OWN practically every sub known to man)! I think you should change your title to "TheSubEAR"![H]

Thanks for all your help.

Well thank you for the positive comment.

I do not consider myself the most knowledgable,but I have experimented with so many and own a good few I can point a few people in search of subs towards good performers.

So are the new THX subs that much better than the RSW 15? Are they as quick? Do you think they would work in an 13 * 18 room that opens into a 18 *20 basement? I know I will never know unless I try, just looking for your opinion.

You see I would have go get two of these THX subs and the matching amp and compare it at home with my other subs and the RSW15.To get into specifics.

One thing is evident,the new Klipsch THX subs have a good deal more output down deep(below 30Hz)compared to the RSW subs.You cannot go worong with the 120THX subs.You have a good size space to fill,you want Klipsch...the 120THX are your answer.

I have not heard the PB2-Plus,I heard/tested two SVS ultras a good few months ago.

RSW15 more punch

PB2-Plus more output down deep

Both are very capable subs,good quality parts used.For HT use the PB2-Plus will create more shake N bake.For music its a personal preference,the PB2 series are more linear.

You can clearly see I think what my preference would be...[:S]

TheEAR...just wondering what your thoughts may be on the Velodyne DLS-3750R. It has a 10" forward firing driver in a slot loaded enclosure, with a Class-A/B 185 watt amp (375 watts peak) at 28-120Hz +/-3dB, and with both gold-plated RCA line-level inputs and outputs that I require (I would assume very good specs for my pipe organ recordings played at +90dB with my 8 WPC SET amp), and it's within my budget:

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/brochures/DLS-R%20low%20res_broch.pdf

I have no comment to give on the cheapie lineup from Velodyne,as the least expensive unit I have is the SPL1000.I know the SPL and HGS line not the lower end offerings.I heard once the 15" CHT unit,was not too convincing,plenty of boom and low on true depth a larger sub should provide.

While the Ear is on a roll or anyone with an opinion, what would you think of moving from one 2039+ to a pair of PB10's? The thought of subs in stereo sound good I'm just not sure if they would have the earth shaking ability of a big cylinder.

The other day I was cranking a Paradigm Signature sub and it seems like it would eat my cylinder for breakfast.