TheEAR...more subwoofer recommendations...

jt1stcav

TheEAR...since you seem to be the resident expert (and I value your opinion), what is your take on the Earthquake SuperNova 10" sub?

Because of my restricted budget, I really can't afford anything over $599, and I need a quality sub that goes as close to 25Hz (or lower) for my pipe organ music. It has to have a pair of low-level RCA inputs and outputs for my seperate tube stereo amp and preamp (see my profile), to provide timbre-matched bass output for my Loth-X Amaze single-driver monitors (55Hz - 20kHz). Size and color are not important; neither are sealed or ported enclosures, or side or downfiring drivers. Quality and reliability are the most important factors, natch.

I'm afraid even used Sunfires are out of my league financially. Are there any Klipsch subs that fit this description? I assume the SVS PB12-ISD would be perfect for the task. Would also consider Paradigm, Definitive Technology, NHT, Mirage, Velodyne, et al. Is the Carver Knight Shadow still available, or is it not made anymore?

Any help would be greatly appreciated from Mr. EAR, or anyone in the know.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to own the PB12-ISD. I returned it ultimately because it did not haveenough punch for my needs but it certainly had the low end covered. It would shake the room at 20hz. Nothing can replace cabinet volume + linear displacement, even a 2000 dollar sunfire has tradeoffs for its size. The SVS is simply going to get it done just the way a big block V8 would. But instead of paying low gas mileage, you pay for real state in your living room. Im planning on a buying a Sub-12 which has
more air displacement and is about ~$200 less, but its smaller and lighter with a higher FR response.

Keep in mind, the svs is 600 but shipping is another 50, and that cable is another 20. so factor 670 for the pb12-isd.
The sub-12 can be had out the door for 450 from bestbuy and its got more output from 25hz and up againts the pb12. I'll tell you this, the build quality on the svs is unmatched and it makes Klipsch subwoovers, save the RSW's, look very cheap.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Good luck.

Thanks for your help, Kyle.

I have a tiny music room, so a large cabinet isn't necessary to fill the room with sound, and I already have the interconnects. Even with shipping, the PB12-ISD does seem to be THE contender thus far.

The Klipsch Sub-12 doesn't have low-level outputs I think, so that wouldn't work for me (I could as a last resort use the high-level speaker inputs and outputs, but I don't have any extra speaker cables, and can't really afford them at this time).

technically yes more displacement = lower extension. One thing though

is inefficency, bigger enclosure usually means higher efficency. But

sunfire choose inefficent drivers that need lots of power > then

1000 watts in small enclosure to have bass extention all the way down

low. So you can give up efficency for smaller enclosure

Jim,

The Earthquake Supernova using their 10" woofer is limited in output and does not go too deep. You are way better off with the Carver Knight Shadow(I( know Bob carver was probably drinking when naming it ).The Carver goes deep and has a great output,it bests the Earthquake 10.

Also the new Paradigm UltraCube 10 is interesting,as it goes a bit deeper than the Earthquake and has higher max output.

The Carver is the most musical of the three,its a sealed subwoofer and its driver is by far the most potent of the three also!

TheEAR, could you recommend me a good sub for around $600 with good music performance, no boomy stuff.

Around $600 great for music...and HT too.

HSU VTF2 or SVS PB10.They cost less and perform well above their price.Klipsch Sub12,again costs under $600 and is quite impressive(performance).Almost forgot the Paradigm PW2100,another great inexpensive sub(little brother of the PW2200).

There are many godo choices today,as poor quality/performance products have not much reason to exist in this competitive market.

Ear

What would you reccomend in the $3000.00 range?

Thanks in advance.

[:P]

In the 3 grand range.Here you can have great output,true subsonics and a perfect match.

Revel B15 My fave sealed cube sub.

Velodyne HGS15/18 Most accurate,lowest distorion compact sealed.Yes compact

SVS PB2-Ultra Most output per $

Paradigm Servo 15/Signature Like Velodyne's HGS,better value for you $

KLipsch THX120/amp Best Klipsch subwoofer by far!

I heard the VELODYNE SPL1000 I was not totally impressed for the pricing, I believe they asked 899 or so...

Maybe it was due to the fact they thought it was meant for movies and

mismatched the speakers. It is not a very good movie sub but I think it

was much better for music as it is sealed.

technically yes more displacement = lower extension. One thing though is efficiency, bigger enclosure usually means higher efficiency. But sunfire choose inefficient drivers that need lots of power > then 1000 watts in small enclosure to have bass extension all the way down low. So you can give up efficiency for smaller enclosure

Right.........

Efficiency................Compactness....................Low Extension........ Pick TWO

1000-1500 dollars. Again no shortage of units...

Klipsch RSW12 or 15

SVS PB2-Plus or PB-Ultra

Paradigm Seismic 12 (compact sub)

Velodyne SPL1200 (very compact sub)

Most will run closer to the $1500 limit.

These should do no wrong,the SVS will go deepest with the highest SPL and if you need small the Seismic 12 is a great sub for all applications both HT and music.BTW Seismic 12 over a SPL1200 for HT and music.

M&K simply uses woofers that do not move the amount of air the competition does.And displacement is a MAJOR part of the equation is the subwoofer world.

technically yes more displacement = lower extension. One thing though is efficiency, bigger enclosure usually means higher efficiency. But sunfire choose inefficient drivers that need lots of power > then 1000 watts in small enclosure to have bass extension all the way down low. So you can give up efficiency for smaller enclosure

Right.........

Efficiency................Compactness....................Low Extension........ Pick TWO

Compactness and depth.Efficiency...no biggie.With the current ultra efficient switching power amps you can have 1.5KW RMS at a very low cost.The times of the bulky class A or AB power amp has long passed.Even a few higher end subs use digital amps.

In the subwoofers I have only my Aerial uses a more bulky classic amp...and the Polk 404.The rest all work with switching transformerless amps.

Mr. EAR, you are without a doubt THE most knowledgable person I know when it comes to subwoofers (probably because you OWN practically every sub known to man)! I think you should change your title to "TheSubEAR"![H]

Thanks for all your help.