TheEAR...more subwoofer recommendations...

jt1stcav

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's a better buy? Pb-10 isd, or 25-35pci? I heard the Pb will play lower. I am looking for both music, and Ht on a budget. I am starting to like the cylinder look, but i like the pb's looks also and price most of all.

Well let's see wheelman. Maybe the pb-10 would be. I don't know if you really need the extra power. I am assuming it's pretty close. I hope this helped. [:)]

Lol...lol..dont you hate it when no one replies to your post?....lol. Really, the guys at svs can answer all the questions about their products. I never owned a sub before and was trying to save a buck so I went with the cylinder. As big as it looks it still blends into the room and I never notice it anymore. It's standing just behind and off to the side of an Rf-7 speaker and the speaker looks bigger.

I have wondered about 2 pb10's instead of a single cylinder, I've heard a lot of good things about stereo subs.........Now, if I had the room or $$$ for two RSW-15's from Klipsch I would reeeeeally be happy!

Lol...lol..dont you hate it when no one replies to your post?....lol. Really, the guys at svs can answer all the questions about their products. I never owned a sub before and was trying to save a buck so I went with the cylinder. As big as it looks it still blends into the room and I never notice it anymore. It's standing just behind and off to the side of an Rf-7 speaker and the speaker looks bigger.

I have wondered about 2 pb10's instead of a single cylinder, I've heard a lot of good things about stereo subs.........Now, if I had the room or $$$ for two RSW-15's from Klipsch I would reeeeeally be happy!

Yeah I sure do. I was hoping someone would get a laugh out of that. I've been talking with SVS just about everynight. Good guys no doubt, and about the best customer service on the planet. Pretty much the next model in line's gonna be better everytime from what I gather. But I don't know if I need the extra oomph. I honestly don't need my walls crumbling to the ground. I do want to hear that subterrranian bass and have a nice kick drum that you can actually really feel.

In the $3K range, assuming you have space...the Danley Labs DTS 20 is

heads and tails above everything else....literally (at 84" tall). If

you can fit an 18" x 18" x 84" tall box (works great as a center

channel support or wall column), then you get a tapped horn enclosure

that will do 125 db at 20 hz. At normal human output levels, this HUGE

dynamic range leads to vanishingly low distortion levels. It is

currently THE Uber sub to buy. Our demo is on order and our demolition

permit is in the works...

In the $3K range, assuming you have space...the Danley Labs DTS 20 is heads and tails above everything else....literally (at 84" tall). If you can fit an 18" x 18" x 84" tall box (works great as a center channel support or wall column), then you get a tapped horn enclosure that will do 125 db at 20 hz. At normal human output levels, this HUGE dynamic range leads to vanishingly low distortion levels. It is currently THE Uber sub to buy. Our demo is on order and our demolition permit is in the works...

Ha I am checking these out soon,under 4 grand and capable of 125dB at 20Hz! Hmm interesting

I am always looking to add more subwoofers to cure my bass itch [:$] ,at one point I will run out of space. With 18 subs now it gets a bit strange to invite people over,they look puzzled and amused...and worried about my mental health. [st]

In the $3K range,

assuming you have space...the Danley Labs DTS 20 is heads and tails

above everything else....literally (at 84" tall). If you can fit an 18"

x 18" x 84" tall box (works great as a center channel support or wall

column), then you get a tapped horn enclosure that will do 125 db at 20

hz. At normal human output levels, this HUGE dynamic range leads to

vanishingly low distortion levels. It is currently THE Uber sub to buy.

Our demo is on order and our demolition permit is in the works...

Ha I am checking these out soon,under 4 grand and capable of 125dB at 20Hz! Hmm interesting

I

am always looking to add more subwoofers to cure my bass itch [:$] ,at

one point I will run out of space. With 18 subs now it gets a bit

strange to invite people over,they look puzzled and amused...and

worried about my mental health. [st]

I'm having to put additional structural reinforcement and damping into

everything in our demo room (under construction). There are actually

guys out there thinking of TWO of these. Put it this way...it is the

equivalent of about four of the SVS B-12-Plus/Four subs or about 4 of

the Servodrive subs, and has more output at extremely deep frequencies.

It is an absolute monster. They use two of them to cover a 6000 seat

rap concert.

I think this will not only cure your bass itch...it will scratch it, stomp on it and possibly collapse a wall on it!

SoundBroker,

I will inquire about this sub this week,for $3000US its dirt cheap for such monster output.

Now my question to you will be,how is the sub bass quality compared to a Klipsch THX120 sub or a Velodyne HGS18? There lies the whole interest beyond the sheer SPL capabilities.

I have subwoofers capable of over 120dB at 31.5Hz,per sub.At 20Hz the best reaches 112dB,this is quite respectable.Now 120dB or more(pair used) is too damn tempting.

SoundBroker,

I will inquire about this sub this week,for $3000US its dirt cheap for such monster output.

Now

my question to you will be,how is the sub bass quality compared to a

Klipsch THX120 sub or a Velodyne HGS18? There lies the whole interest

beyond the sheer SPL capabilities.

I have subwoofers capable of

over 120dB at 31.5Hz,per sub.At 20Hz the best reaches 112dB,this is

quite respectable.Now 120dB or more(pair used) is too damn tempting.

Bass quality is astonishing. It is a horn sub, so the speed and impact

are outrageous and at the levels most people use, the distortion ought

to be ridiculously low. Remember, this sub comes from Tom

Danley...acknowledged God of Bass. $3K does not include an amp...but

with the efficiency of the unit, you don't need to spend gobs o' dough

on an amp to run it. Also, 125db is with one, two would be mindbending.

I currently have the SVS pb 12 isd. I am interesting in upgrading to a more powerful sub to run with my LaScalas. I listen to 60% music 40% movies and am getting more into concert dvd's. I am considering the SVS pb 12 plus or the SVS 12 ultra with the single driver, I understand that the ultra driver (tv-12 I think) is much better in that sub but the amp is much lower in power. If memory serves me right the pb 12 plus is 900 watts 2 drivers and the 12 ultra is 525 watts single driver. I like a feel it in your chest slam from a kick drum as well as deep explosions. What is the pro's and con's of this sub comparison? I think they may be close in price so is it not safe to say 2 drivers at 900 watts is going to be better than a single at 525 watts.

Thanks for any and all opinions,

Jack.

I had the Ultra (tube not box) and PB12+2 at the same time. To me the +2 would put out more SPL than the single driver Ultra. The Ultra driver is a little cleaner sounding however under normal listening. If you are predominately a movie guy, go with the +2, music at sane levels may sound a little better an the Ultra. Neither sub is a slouch by any means and either should be an upgrade. The +2 will give you more SPL and better sound quality. The Ultra will take the SQ up a slight bit from the + driver and give you roughly the SPL of your current sub (if you have the isd2). Carl